Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[ First off just want to say I'm a FL hunter and am hunting public land, So honestly... in a nice way... could care less what you think about my deer, my equipment, or what toliet paper I use to wipe... Besides you clicked this thread... Thanks! Now enjoy! lol ;]

Well guys I hit the woods despite many attempts of wanting to sleep in this past weekend [Sunday mornin especially] I've been sittin my spots hard and have either seen small bucks [Illegal spikes] or TONS of does & TONS of bears.

Now before I get started let me just say this... I had posted on here before about asking any FL guys about rattling. I persoanlly always thought it was a joke and thought it was for the big horses [you northeren guys call deer] but I ALWAYS wanted to try it, But was to chicken "shat" to ever try it... So I finally broke down after having many many friends tag out in close locations of me, killin nice bucks chasin does. SO, in turn I went to my local Gander and bought a "pack rack" long story short after playin with it around the house for a bit I was ready for the real thing. so saturday mornin about an hour before I got down I broke out the pack-rack and started some light rattling with soft grunts, did 2 "cycles" of this for a 10[ish] minute period... about 20 minutes after rattling a little 3/4 inch spike comes trottin up my trail, DEFFINATLY not feedin, he just kind of trotted in and looked like he was "looking" for something. But no, I thought Heck no this little guy isn't comin in to my calling, surley not. So, never thought about it again after that... but my thinkin of seein the does should produce some bucks here soon for the FL rut is almost full swing [ IMO] So I asked my father in law where I should sit sunday morning, again despite I really didn't want to wake up... So here comes Sunday AM around 5:50 [G/f wakes up for work] and she starts gettin ready, which in turn wakes me up... I decided after many many many attempts of walkin outside and coming back in [you know the drill I'm talkin about...lol] and said... "heck, I'll go..." so without showerin up with my evolved scent killer or even brushin my teeth; I crawled into my thermals, grabbed my jacket and headed to the truck... so I get up to my stand and I'm already aggervated because it was just a cheapy lock on I threw up back in the summer time and only sat once this year... Well Now I know why it was cheap... the darn thing sounds like a howlin nijariian spider emu.... thing is LOUD when you barley move... So I just stood the whole time. I was textin a buddy of mine who was sendin me pictures of bucks just walkin under his stand... talk about suckered... So I decided once again, "heck, I'm goin to try rattlin and gruntin again..." So pulled the 'ole pack rack out and started at it nice and light... Each session just goin a tad bit louder and a tad bit longer... well roughly a hour/ hour and half laterI was lookin at my phone sendin my buddy a text when I heard .... "snap!" a all too serious known sound in the deer woods... I twig had broke from something steppin on it... I looked up... sure nuff... A little 4 pointer comin inn with his ears switchin from a slight bendin back to facing front as if trying to detect the littlest of sounds... I layed my phone down into the sack and grabbed the trusty 'ole "sally" [ My Switchback, lol] He was walking out of my shooting lanes so I drew back and the sucker stopped behind a tree... he started throwin his nose up sniffin, well I forgot to mention earlier I tryed the "code blue doe esterous gel" which I've heard good and bad about but I was like hell... can't hurt I reckon. So he started sniffin around for that, so I waited a few seconds and he took a step forward... No I'm goin to shoot through a "U" shaped tree thats about 2 feet wide of a window that I can see him in. so I layed the thirty yard pin behind the shoulder and lightly squeezed the trigger. Not a dang split hair second later that sucker had taken a step forward

So I saw the arrow hit him, he FELL DOWN, turned around and burned up a path through who knows where... Well as he was runnin I saw a sight that I deff. did not appreciate... My arrow was hangin about half way out...

So now I'm a little concerned that I may have straight salad shot this little buck and my stomach just turned rotten and my mind racing...But a gut shot usually just slides right through no problem... I deff. hit something bad/hard..? Idk what happeneed.. I HATE WOUNDING DEER!:pukey:

So I settled down a bit called my buddy I was texting, my father in law at work... Told him about the shot and told him I'm about to back out... So I shot at 8:45-ish... Left gotcalled out for work for a few hours... met a a hand full of buddys at the local BBQ joint [all which just got done hunting] told some success stories about this year and many others... Then the topic approached about my blooper in the tree earlier in the mornin... So I told them... He was broadside... I set the pin a little low [I always do this...] and squeezed, everything felt right except seeing him move and obviously the arrow penetration... So one thing my buddy is good at is cheerin me up in a stressful hunting situation, ie: GUT SHOT.

So after Bs-in around we rode to the house picked up "boss" baby, my friends "new" tracking dog... Hes never worked this dog as a trackin dog, just a **** hound. But his dad was goin to, uh... "get rid of it" becuase he couldn't tree a **** worth a rip, he could dang sure chase em like no other... Just couldn't tree em! So my buddy thought he'd try his luck at tracking. But no worries, we has "buddy" the flippin BOSS DOG at tracking [beagle] on stand by at another buddys house... So we returned to the woods with boss at about 1pm...

So We started trackin from first... GUT...lol, and he started lettin the dog work... well wouldn't you know the sucker goes the OPPOSITE direction from where the deer went... lol So buddy of mine eventually just lets the dog off the leash and says heck with him, Hes leaving his arse out here...lol so we start trackin off a runnin track and a little gut here in there, NO BLOOD... long story short... Boss comes back by where we last lost sign and starts to work a little, but in a light trot... so he starts bouncing around and I enevtually start workin another trail... about 3 minutes later I yelp for my buddy and I heard the dog let a yelp out... So I knew something was up... Not a second later, My buddy yells " I FOUND HIM!!!" lol you get the point.... I'm so stoked!

So I finally meet up with him... Now heres the break down... lol

The good... The deer is dead...

The Bad.... Hes, uh... lets just say he got the "short/Small" end of the gene pool...lol

The Ugly.... what a absolutly HORRIABLE DISGUSTING VERY BAD SHOT ON MY PART.... Straight HAM shot... now I know it happens to people but this was the first time out of my short 4-5 years bowhuntin that I've ever gummed one up this bad.... I was very VERY emberresed!

Yes... I shot rages this year, by no means and several times I've pledged... I am NOT a rage fan... But I do like them... I'll be shooting a heavier GPI arrow next year with a harder hittin fixed blade... Preferrably a ST...

So anyways, now that all of you have scrolled down and laughed at my little racked deer...[HE'S A ITTY BITTY ANTLER COMMITTEE DEER] lol I just want to say I'm MIGHTY darn proud of that little buck! The main reason I'm just tickled to death is because I atually "rattled" one in... I have no doubt now, that I'll be carrying some type of rattle tool with me around this time of year! I just can't explain HOW dang excited I was I found him! I just never could imagine you could do that in a place like FL! lol Idk why, I know I'll probably get a lot of guys on here say they do it all the time, but I never did... I use to make fun of the thought of coming out to the national forests with gun hunters and me carryin a bow and rattling... lol Idk... just was funny to me. But again, I just can't explain how dangcool it was to me to accomplish this, I shot a 100-110 inch 8 point last year, I was pretty excited but to be honest... this deer is now my overall favorite! I'm even doing a euro mount out of him! I'll have to show you guys in a month or two! So thanks for readin, I know it was long and drawn out, and to 99% of hunters standards it by no means was a... "freakish horned buck" or "mr.big one" but dang what a fun trip! lol heres some pics from the hunt! Thanks again and god bless, have a great season! BTW, this marks 4 for me this season! and still counting!:wink: BTW.. lol he was actually a 6 point! I can't beleive how small his rack is, its like freakishly SMALL, like I could barley fit my fist inside his spread...

Even carved pumpkins that Night!! lol
Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
cool buck! and great story! my favorite buck i ever shot was a 3 point i called in with a bleat can

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Nice story ,congrats on the buck

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good story. Cool bear pics. Bad shot, but a good ending.
:thumbs_up

agreed, The shot was deffinatly a wake up call... I was so use to just squeezing easy shots off and... no braggin intended... but easy lung shot at the least! this was deff. some food for thought, I've been shootin in the tree last night and plan on the remainder of the year! But. I can now say I've shot a deer in the ham...:thumbs_do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.