Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have this friend here who was working with this guy last summer and this guy was in the army of some sort and told my friend that he would take a deer from 1000 yards open sight with any rifle my buddy told him hes ******ed whats your guys input on it

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
Does this guy realize how far 1000 yards is ??

·
Registered
92 Posts
i am this guys buddy and let me tell ya when this guy who was from the marines by the way told me this i just walked away. he was dead serious about it to i couldnt believe my ears.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,661 Posts
Nothing's "inposible".:D:D:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've noticed over the years and found it funny that every guy I've run into that was in the army thinks he is a sniper. Easiest way to prove them a liar is to put a weapon in their hand at the range and have them demonstrate. My favorite excuse was "Something must be wrong with this rifle, you might need to have it checked out!"

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Did he specify how many shots it would take him? If you fling enough lead in the air, one is bound to hit the target. The only part o have a hard time believing is that a deer will stay there long enough for him to actually hit it. And that he can pack around that much ammo while deer hunting.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Its completely possible.

I've watched high power shooters shoot off hand at 600 yards and shoot pie plate size groups. 1000 yards off a bag or a bench would not be out of the question.

However, give the circumstances that he gave you I would say highly improbable. Using his rifle, possible.

Had he said he was using a scope, for someone with a lot of experience and practice, it wouldn't be overly difficult if the conditions were correct.

A .50 cal would not be needed.

A .308 would kill a deer at 1000 yards.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
My whole family is in armyed forces and we have alot friends still in service so I grow up with high power rifles and the smallest caliber u can use to kill a human or deer at that yardage is a 30-06. And on the other part it is possile to use iron sights there are a lot of shoots over the US and one of the catagories is 1000 yrd shot with with iron sights and most of the people use M1 GRANDS in 30-06 and personaly I can hold 5 shots in a 5ft. By 5ft with just iron sights so not with just any gun

·
Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,077 Posts
This is getting good......:pepsi::moviecorn

·
Registered
174 Posts
the "any rifle" part is the only "inposible" part of this (oh, and using the spell checker). Not hard to use a respectable centerfire cartridge out to that yardage. I didn't say I could do it with any kind of repeatability but I think I could. one word: "trajectory". Knowing that, 1000yds is quite doable.

·
One Shot
9,198 Posts
The number of people on this planet who can make a one shot kill at 1000 yards under ideal conditions is very small. The number who can do it with an unknown rifle with open sites is ZERO.

·
edthearcher
6,509 Posts
so i have this friend here who was working with this guy last summer and this guy was in the army of some sort and told my friend that he would take a deer from 1000 yards open sight with any rifle my buddy told him hes ******ed whats your guys input on it
we all hear stories like this. example at work a few years ago a guy told me he droped a deer at 600 paces, he steped it off. but he shot it with a 30-30 open sights, i questioned him about it. my final answer was up would have to have the gun pointed at a 45 degrees to get the bullet to go that far
i still do a lot of bench shooting at 100 yards weekley all summer with all my rifles i have close to 40. plus i trap shoot 4000 min all summer. i know some will disgree with me but the avarage person with a good rifle now i said the avarage person will have trouble o n a bench rest holding a tight group at 200 yards
that is unless you listen to some who can do that with a bow:thumbs_do

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
a 1000 yards with open sights ? do you people know what factors you are dealing with at that range? balistic wise, and not to mention wind and drift due to the rifleing in the barrel. as for calliber a 308 or 30-06 should due maybe a 270. a well trained man with his weapon i would say it is possible but not likely. with a scope and enough practice alot of people should be able to do it. sounds like somebody is blowing hot air to me.

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Everyone also needs to realize that "open sights" includes peep sights on rifles.

And for someone with plenty of training a peep sight can be just as, if not more, accurate than a scope.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts