Archery Talk Forum banner

The Javelina Hunt

3181 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Simpson
Well back from our Javelina hunt down on the King Ranch in South Texas.....man what a hunt...and they are some BAD little dudes!! Once you shoot one they go to popping - snapping their teeth together about as fast as a machine gun and almost as loud. When you have one wounded in that THICK catclaw shrub and go in after it, but can't see it.....it will dang near scare the bajesus out of you when you get with in yards of them and they start that popping....can't see'm...and ya know there pissed....the feeling reminds me of when you hear a rattle snake...but can't see him....what a rush.
On with the story, there is a limit of two per hunter...needless to say, we tagged out, but no telling how many we shot...just the recovery in that thick stuff was next to impossable....just abuch of small tunnels about as big around as a 5 gal bucket. We were on Javi's everyday, anywhere from singles to the biggest group we stalked was well over 40.
We would corn roads and then drive around up and down of all corned roads until we saw some and then it was some of the best stalk hunting I have ever been apart of. Ok, here are some pics....oh yea....our Elite bows were the talk of the camp...everyone wanted to shoot them.
This was a bow only father/son hunt with abunch of good friends.
The kids with their kill's.

My son and his first one...the Predator Synergy looked sweet in the S.Texas brush.

My son and his friend with their double!!

And here is one of mine..the GT500...was a killer..this one I smoked at 52yrds.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
36,987 Posts
I bet that was fun , Congrats

· I am the Tin Man!
2,985 Posts
That looks awesome, Ive got 8 years till I can take my boy out hunting, my girls dont really want to kill anything but they love to come along. Is there any public land hunting in Texas? I know its a huge state and I would think there would be lots of public ground but everything I see is private or game ranch hunting.

· Registered
5,236 Posts
pretty cool!!!

· <---- That's 57Loader
2,440 Posts
If you ever want to hunt Javelina on public land come to Arizona. Archery season is from Jan 1 till about the 22nd or so. Also OTC archery deer for Coues or Mule deer for the entire month of January. Arizona game and fish will have all non-res prices. I put in for a Javelina tag that covers 5 or 6 units and my house is right in the middle of all of those units. I can pretty much cover all of my favorite areas in that 3 weeks and don't need to drive more than an hour to get to any of them.

Congrats to the OP that sounds like a great hunt.

· Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all the comments, yes it was a blast.

PS. Oregonian - the kid in the red/pink boots is Merrick Brooks, runner up at the World Championship Jr. Bull Ridding this past year....ya can't get him to wear anything but cowboy boots.....and the one in the baby blue boots...well let's just say....he aint all there!! lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.