Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting a rental recurve since the beginning of the year and decided to make the switch to a compound. I selected the Mission UX-2, since everything I read said that it was a very good bow for a beginner with great lifetime into developing as an experienced archer.

I have a bit of an issue with setting the sight, though, that I had hoped to get some direction on: The kisser is set all the way down, resting against the top of release loop, and the peep is set to a comfortable height. The trouble is that with the sight adjusted so I'm hitting the center of the target at 20 yards, the sight pin is nearly hidden behind the riser. I can still juuuuusssst see the pin, but half the target is obscured.

I noticed that the other bow I bought at the same time - for my girlfriend - releases an arrow that appears to 'nose up' as it releases, essentially flying forward while pointing slightly upward. Our bows come with a VERY BRIEF owners' manual that mentions a "paper test" as a way to see if there is a problem with the angle at which an arrow leaves the bow. I asked the retailer about this, but they said that they do a laser tuning when they set up the bow and that the paper test is an antiquated and unnecessary step.

My question is many-fold:
1) Is my bow shooting so high because it was not properly configured, rather than paper tested?
2) Should I just adjust my arrow rest down, or will this send my arrow off at the wrong angle?
3) Would it be an acceptable solution to have the retailer move the kisser below the release loop?

Is there some other problem of which I might not be aware? I had considered that I was just mentally and physically tensing as I released, but I'm getting nearly all arrows in a 2-inch radius of the center at 20 yards, which I would not expect if I was 'jumping' as I pulled the release trigger.

Thanks...

· Registered
85 Posts
Paper Tuning

Ok I read your thread twice, Kinda confused but i will take a shot at helping you. First the kisser button should be somewhere that when your are comfortably anchored,should be touching somewhere that you prefer,like the tip of your nose, or cheek. I personally dont like kisser buttons. What kinda of rest are you using? and what kinda of sights? Laser tuning that he speaks of I am thinking that he means lining your center shot up . But even laser tuning is a starting point. On my bow for it to be tuned and shoot great groups, the arrow is about 1/8 inch tail high and prob about 1/16 inch nose to the left when setting in the arrow rest.I definately think you should shoot through paper as a starting point. Something is def wrong if your site pin in almost behind riser, tell us more about your setup. what your using, Can you post any pics? sorry if I am not much help.

· I am nobody.........
8,668 Posts
First, take your bow to a local pro shop with a good reputation in your area. Frankly, whoever set the bow up has no clue what they are doing. In all the years I have worked on bows, shot bows, setup bows, or seen other setups I have never seen a kisser button resting against a loop. You definitely do not want it below the loop, unless you will somehow be shooting with the nocking point between your eyes and your mouth!!!!!!!!!!

As for the rest, do a goole search for the Easton tuning guide, very detailed and will go over everything you will need to get it tuned yourself. Once it is tuned, then you can go about getting sites set.

· Back Yard Champion
35,947 Posts
"The Laser" vs. "The Paper Test." I'd like to answer this first. A laser is only as good as the riser of the bow, limbs and cams (workmanship, held to specs, tolerances). Some risers, regardless quality, aren't machined for lasers to mount to all that well and cast risers just aren't friendly at all. When running into this (and I do alot) I eye ball center shot. This is aligning the string to the top cam groove and moving the rest to move arrow to align with the aligned string to cam groove.

Not in order;

As one other replied, and you are new to compounds, your explaination, description is something to be desired.

Perhaps if you gave your location someone could find you a better shop to setup your bow.

As you describe, (behind the riser) your center shot (horizontal adjustment of the arrow rest) is way too far in (towards the riser). If "behind the riser means below the shelf or above the cut out (arrow window), then it seems your peep is way, way off right along with verticle adjustment of the arrow rest. The arrow should be centered to the berger hole in the riser (rest mounting hole) and the arrow be 90 degrees to the string. Tip of the arrow a tiny bit down is better than being up.

Shooting through paper is one way to tell what needs adjusted to get a bow to shoot well. Until something else comes along, paper tuning can be better any laser on the market today....

Depending on your anchor point; Most anchor and have their kisser fit into the corner of their mouths. For me the kisser would be 1 1/4" measured from the top side of the arrow nock. So it seems your kisser is not where it should be. (Bow used Hoyt ProElite, ata of 37 7/8").

Peep location; as your were to shoot a target, stand erect, feet straight down from your shoulders, face the target (only turn your head, no leaning or tilting of the head), draw bow and come to anchor (bring the bow to you, not you go to the bow) > You should be looking right through the peep.
Hint; You can close your eyes, using the above, and once anchored, open your eyes and be looking straight through the peep. If not, move the peep in direction needed. Test until you're looking through the peep as if it is second nature to you.

Try some of the info in all replies and get back with us. Again, by information given, I'd like a good bow tech to setup your bow.

· Registered
2,683 Posts
Welcome to AT!, now you have been given some very good advice, finding a good shop would be an excellent start. Also consider joining an archery clud or attending some 3-D shoots, let it be known that you are very new to archery and need help...most will offer assistance or know where to send you for what you need. There is a fairly steep learning curve if you're on your own, really helps to have a buddy or mentor to get the questions answered. AT can provide the answer to many of your questions, many times you just have to see it done to grasp the concept...shoot well and enjoy!

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I read your thread twice, Kinda confused but i will take a shot at helping you. First the kisser button should be somewhere that when your are comfortably anchored,should be touching somewhere that you prefer,like the tip of your nose, or cheek. I personally dont like kisser buttons. What kinda of rest are you using? and what kinda of sights? Laser tuning that he speaks of I am thinking that he means lining your center shot up . But even laser tuning is a starting point. On my bow for it to be tuned and shoot great groups, the arrow is about 1/8 inch tail high and prob about 1/16 inch nose to the left when setting in the arrow rest.I definately think you should shoot through paper as a starting point. Something is def wrong if your site pin in almost behind riser, tell us more about your setup. what your using, Can you post any pics? sorry if I am not much help.
The sight is a Truglo Brite-Site Xtreme Five-Pin Sight and the arrow rest is a Quality Archery Designs Ultra-Rest. I can't post pics now, unfortunately. What would you want to see?

Looking at the arrow rest, it appears to be in a default positioning. Both the vertical and horizontal adjustments are in their center positions, which would indicate to me that they've not been adjusted at all.

I'm on the San Francisco Penninsula and there are a few shops around here.

· Registered
Hoyt/PSE Frankenbow, Browning Xcellerator III, PSE Nighthawk
479 Posts
There's a great shop in Chico, which is a bit of a drive for you but its nice country and they are awesome. Deer Creek.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.