Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
September 20, 2006 Marks One Year Anniversary of His Passing

Many of you probably either saw him perform or have heard of the late Rev. Stacy Groscup. Groscup was a humble Methodist minister from West Virginia that set a world record in the 1980's by hitting seven aspirin tablets in a row from mid air with his bow & arrow, a record that still stands today. The event was captured on national TV by a film crew.

Groscup appeared on stage at events all over the United States. He attended many of the traditional archery events and always had time for questions. He would go out of his way to help anyone get started in archery.

Stacy was a selfless promoter of archery, but also taught many of us that were around him so much more. Stacy passed away at age 84 on September 20, 2005.
Shawna, his grand daughter, has set up a great memorial tribute website for her grandpa at:

http://stacylgroscup.memory-of.com/

In 1986 Stacy tossed a Pepsi can into mid air and challenged an 18 year old archer to hit the can. I did and that's how my exhibition career got it's start and I am happy when someone refers to me as Groscup's protege'. However, there was only one Stacy Groscup. I miss you old friend.....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Frank,

I've read much about your shooting abilities, too. You are correct, there was only one Rev. Groscup, but, from what I've read you learned your lessons very well under his tutelidge! Rev Groscup was a Baptist minister for over 50 years.

Keep shooting straight and hitting those aspirin tablets shooting behind your back!

Bill

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
Frank,

Your carring part of his torch now...and from what I have had read about you...you're caring it very well.

Even though I never met him...I miss him too.

God Bless,

Ray

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Stacy was one of a kind and is sadly, sadly missed.

I hope everyone will take the time to visit his memorial website and read about this great man.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Memory of a Great Man

I can't believe it has been a year since Stacy's passing. He was a great man on so many levels. I saw Stacy shoot several times. I also got to talk with him on 2 occasions. He was such a nice and genuine person. I can still see that smile and the twinkle that was in his eyes. He made a huge impression on me. Even though I was a Christian, I saw something in him that was missing in me. I have endeavored to change that and try to allow faith to show through. Stacy not only was a great archer, he was a great man. He is sorely missed, but we all know that he is in a much better place and we should rejoice in that.

My best wishes to his family and closest friends.

Shawna, I love your memorial website. I lit a candle and hope others do as well. I can't think of a nicer tribute. I'm sure he is very proud of you and has a smile on his face to prove it.

God Bless You All

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the reminder!!!

Frankie,

Thanks for bringing to my remembrance a great man. I was at that WV show that was pictured in the TBM article last year. It was the first and only time I had the privilege of seeing him perform. I was a teenage compound shooter at the time and even commisioned Dave Powers to build me a "Macho" 130# Powermag at that very show. Your dad introduced me to him at the show and before the show was over I talked him into building the bow. I was already shooting one of his sissy 80#'ers. LOL!!!! Even though I was still shooting wheels, that day a little fire was kindled inside of me that sparked into a blazing fire about 4 years ago.

I spent almost 8 years away from archery and bowhunting while I was in Bible College. When I moved back "Home", I spent 1 deer season with a Compound in my hand and started the first day of the following season with one. After shooting a 5 point opening morning at first light, I loaded him on the 4-wheeler and drove him across the road to Mom and Dad's house and hung him in the garage. I felt like something was missing and as I sit there thinking about the events that led up to that moment, that little spark ignited as I thought about dad's Bear Kodiak Hunter recurve that was hanging out in the out building. I had played with traditional bows as a boy and had even shot that 80# Powermag Bare bow for quite a while, but it had been a long time since I had just enjoyed watching the flight of an arrow. Archery and bow hunting was fun again and not just "mechanical". It wasn't many weeks until I was hunting with that old Bear. I haven't looked back since!!!!!

I remember the time that I spent watching the exibition and the little bit of time I got to speak with Mr. Groscup. Thank you Stacy Groscup for being a fine man and a wonderful ambassador for "ARCHERY"!!!!! I look forward to seeing him again in heaven. I have never shot an aspirin out of the air, nor will I probably ever try; but, I will never forget the feeling I had as I bowed beside the young doe that would be my first "traditional" Deer kill.

BTW - That Macho Powermag was your Dad's fault. After picking up his old 120+ Oregon Bow and drawing it as a 16 year old young man, I remember saying to myself, "I have to have something like that!" LOL!!! I raised a few eyebrows that day when I drew it as well. I am sure your dad thought I would dry-fire it!

Thanks for carrying the torch!

Thanks again for the reminder,

Brian Rice

P.S. I am not sure if you will remember me or not, but my Dad and I spent a good bit of time at the bow shop in the late 80's and early 90's. Dad is just a "tiny" fellow. LOL! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK WITH THE YOUNG PEOPLE!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Howdy Brian-
Thanks for your kind words. Stacy was one of a kind, and just like your post mentions--- if you met him once you'd never forget him. In my media interviews now I even refer to my style of shooting as the "Groscup method" so that his name is carried forward. Stacy was inducted into the Hall of Fame around 1999. So his place in our sport is secure. What a great man.
As for the 120# bows, I am sure you know now that you can harvest game with a lot less weight! In June mom bagged her 19th bear with a bow--a nice bear. She shoots 45#. Today's equipment is able to get the job done without that heavy weight. I use 60# on my hunting bow and 45# on my recurves and longbows.
Thanks so much for your post---hope you are doing well. Stay in touch.

Shoot Straight,
Frank

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, I was strong like bull and smart like tractor back then. I surely didn't even need 80# back then to kill WV Whitetail deer. LOL!!! I killed my first black bear this spring with a 50# recurve. She was just as dead as if I had shot her with that old 130# Powermag. HA HA HA!!! I am hunting Moose, Elk, and Deer now with a 60# recurve and have now doubt that I have plenty of punch to get the job done effectively and ethically. The moose rut should be full bore now, so I hope to get a chance to "prove" this 60#'er is plenty for moose tomorrow evening.

BTW for those of you that never got the chance to meet Mr. Groscup, please go to the memorial website and make his acquaintance. He was a fine man that had a wonderful family and good friends that are keeping his "memory" alive.

Thanks again,

Brian

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Photos

If anyone has good photos of Stacy in action at one of his shows please let me know. His family didn't have that many....

Thank you.

Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts