Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys and gals!!

I need some advice/ help.

I have no problem pulling my 70 pound bow back, cold weather, hot weather, it doesn't matter, but I have found if I have to hold for a while, then let down, I cant do it smoothly. Any tips on how to let down smoother?? I hunt from a climber, and I spooked a deer last week on a et down that hadn't presented me a shot yet.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Three options. Lower draw weight, get stronger or get a new bow that let's down easier.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Shorten the valley and reduce the let off.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
But, if that is not an option, one thing you can work on is negative resistance training. If have any free weights do some bent over rows, and concentrate on SLOWLY lowering the weights. Any type of cable weights or band systems (such as bowflex) can be used this way. I think the band type machines will offer a similar experience to a bow draw as they have a linear force curve similar. Just concentrate on the slow release of the weights or tension. If none of that is an option, then you can always just train with your bow, lower your poundage to the point where you can comfortable let down with no shake and can control (i.e. stop and re-draw if you have to) at any point during the let down. Slowly work your poundage up until you can comfortably do this with your desired draw weight.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Just thwackin' it.
7,185 Posts
This is option 4... you can move the draw stop to one spot higher. I believe the Drive only has a single draw stop. It will give you more valley.

I had to move mine one spot higher because the Bomar Draw Stops are a little thicker than the stock ones.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
hey guys and gals!!

I need some advice/ help.

I have no problem pulling my 70 pound bow back, cold weather, hot weather, it doesn't matter, but I have found if I have to hold for a while, then let down, I cant do it smoothly. Any tips on how to let down smoother?? I hunt from a climber, and I spooked a deer last week on a et down that hadn't presented me a shot yet.

thanks!

if it is the drive you wont find an easier bow to let down,, so changing bows will not help,, trying taking just a couple pounds off the pull,, 65-67 and try it there,, just a few pounds can make a difference,, and the speed loss will be minimal.... also it would help to actually practice the let down,, safely of course, and be careful not to torque the bow on let down you don't want to de rail it,,, very few people I know actually practice letting down, also use a chair,,, unless you never sit while hunting

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will definitely try that. I can let down fine if I don't have to hold for a minute, r a minute and a half. I do a lot of weight training and my work is labor intensive, so strength isn't the issue.

I watched a uy on try let down just as slow as he drew ack, and want to learn to do that

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
If you can't draw your bow nice a smooth without raising it above your head and let it down nice and easy then you are shooting too much poundage.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I agree you are probably shooting to much weight. To let down smoother though, drop your release arm elbow down before you start to let down. That will put your elbow more near your ribs. That engages more muscles and makes it easier to let down. Again though , it sounds like you are shooting to much weight .

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
When choosing a new bow two of the most important things to me are;
1 Can I let down easily and slowly and without grabbing the grip.
2 Can I creep forward maybe an eighth of an inch without the bow jerking my shoulder out of joint.

If I can't do these two things then either the force/draw curve is wrong for me or the bow is at too much draw weight.

Contrary to the way most folks do it, I'll turn my bow down either at the start of hunting season, or shortly thereafter. I shoot a lot thru the spring and summer, and maybe very early fall. As the days get shorter, DST kicks in, weather gets a bit wetter, and hopefully some weekends are spent hunting. All that means less time to practice and stay in form. My strength falls off, especially in colder weather, and the lower draw weight makes things easier.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
18,996 Posts
Sit in a chair & hold bow stright out & pull it stright back to your anchor, if you can't do that to much WEIGHT.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I have no problem pulling my bow back, weather I am sitting on the ground, a chair, standing, or off balance. I pull back nice and smooth and slow, but if I am holding for over a minute or so, the let down is fast. My bow isn't To heavy of a draw, I was looking for advice on how to let down easier but if you don't know how then that is okay, just don't tell me my bow is too heavy with out reading the other post on this thread

·
Registered
652 Posts
Mabe too aggressive of cams and too much draw weight ,, can you draw your bow back very slowly ? and stop for a bit half draw if not your weight is too much for a good hunting bow ,,, 60lbs is plenty for Whitetails ,, even moose if you use the right fixed broadheads and heavy arrows

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
try drawing half way then reversing and let down, then try to draw to 3/4 of the way and let down from there,,,

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sit in a chair & hold bow stright out & pull it stright back to your anchor, if you can't do that to much WEIGHT.
this ^^^^^^

1 - 20 of 42 Posts