Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had my drop-away rests served in... however, I don't have a press, and I don't know how to seperate a bow string and serve anything in...

My question is, what's the downside to the little football that clamps the sting to the drop away? Who here uses one with no issue? Anyone ever had a problem using one? Is it really that much of an advantage to serve the string in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
389 Posts
It is nicer to have it served in, less likely to fail. I do keep a football thing in my pack with my tools though in case I need to do any repairs and I'm miles away from a shop, then I dont need to press the bow and it'll be good enough to get the job done until I can get it served in.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
i have always used one ,for the same reasons you listed....readjustments..different rest...string/cable replacements...
doesn't hurt anything....tighten it down and forget it!

·
It's in da hole!
1,676 Posts
Simply tie it in like a d loop and serve above. I have been doing it this way on my bow, my wife's bow and my sons bow for quite some time and have never had a problem.

give all the adjustability but looks much nicer.

Tie%2520TT.jpg
borrowed photo from Daniel Boone

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I usually have them served in,but it's so much easier to use the clamp. Especially if you keep trying different bows and want to swap your rest. The only downside I see is that it's ugly. It looks alot better served in,but function over fashion for me.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help... I like the idea of the football in ease of install, and messing with it.

Does the weight of the football have a negative impact? Probably weighs about the same as the weight of all that serving, huh?

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I had one of those football clamps that would not stay locked down. It moved on me several times before I took it off and used serving.

·
Registered
17,834 Posts
leave an inch of tag end after the football. once you have it set the way it is needed serve the excess cord in case the football fails.

·
Registered deer murderer
632 Posts
No need to separate the cable. Just serve it on tight. I could never get the football thingy on my Ripcord to hold the cord securely enough. It would slide and screw up my tuning.

·
Premium Member
26,859 Posts
I Like the Footbal clamp,i have them on all my bows and have never had a problem just tighten it down and leave a Little bit of extra cord out the end,i prefer it to Serving it on to my String.Easier to take on and off.

·
BIG FRANK....
8,401 Posts
I Tie mine in...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts