Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
7:25 this evening two doe are finally seen walking towards me on a logging road, heading towards my food plot of forage oats. I have plenty of time to prepare and set up a 20-22 yard shot. I stop the lead doe and release my arrow. I don't see the entry, but hear the 'thud' of the arrow hitting. I felt good about the shot at that point. I see the doe turn north and can see her for about 40 yards as she heads for the edge of the trees and in to a 5 acre area of high grass.

I sat for 10 minutes waiting for my heart to calm down. It's getting darker, and I start dropping the bow and decending. I walk south and got out of the small section of oaks I was in and head home to get a flashlight.

8:00 p.m. I leave house with flashlight and head for the spot the doe was at the shot. No blood. No arrow. I head in area doe was seen after the shot. After a couple of attempts tracking from spot of the shot I finally see blood, about 10 yards south of the high grass. It's a big spot of blood, and I see the arrow. The top of the arrow about 10 inches down from nock is full of good blood. The rest, nothing. One broadhead blade has hairs, and there is a little bit of green substance.

From there I found blood up 'til the high grass. From where the arrow was found the blood got obviously more sporadic. I attempted to track 'til 9:15, and will have a buddy assist in the a.m. in finding the doe.

The arrow has me worried and I fear I hit her too far back. The only silver lining so far is that we have frost warnings tonight, with an expected low of 33-34*.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
Must have been a quartering to shot? That is diffenenalty some guts on the broadhead and the blood looks like a muscle hit. Let her lay and hopefully you find her.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
FultonCtyHunter said:
Must have been a quartering to shot? That is diffenenalty some guts on the broadhead and the blood looks like a muscle hit. Let her lay and hopefully you find her.

she'll be good eatin....what is the temperature suppose to be tonight?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Broadside.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Good luck, let us know how it works out. If it was a gut hit then leaving her overnight was a great idea, she probably wouldn't have gone far before bedding.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
good luck recovering her. Sounds like the meat should be chilled enough to be fine.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
The one that got away.........didn't

Some may remember my story last year about missing a 14 pt non-typical at 12 yards. He came in chasing a doe and after grunting several times to stop him, I eventually stopped him behind me by yelling "HEY"! twice. In the excitement of the moment, I didn't anchor properly and I assume shot to the left.

He was taken a couple days later during the Missouri rifle season. In those 2 days he broke off 2 points assumably from fighting.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts