Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all i am not trying to burn anybody up but...
i own two bowtechs and two mathews and when i chrono by bows (which is often) i never get close to ibo speed with 350 gr arrow/30inch draw and no
peep,kisser/ nothing on string with my mathews. but i always get at or slightly over with my bowtechs at advertised speed? i love both kinds of bows and i'm not saying on is better than the other but wish mathews would do something like the birth cirtificate as bowtech does. or at least advertise speed so it would be kind of close to the real speed you are going to see.
and before anybody talks about speed variables with draw legth and weight. i aready said i test my bow with 70lb 350gr arrow 30inch draw and nothing on string for tests with all my bows. what is your opinion?? thank you guys and gals

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
I feel some(won't mention names) give you the highest speed they attained out of a string of shots...might have only got one that fast out of 5,000 shots and it is about 3fps faster than the next to fastest...but it looks good for an IBO :wink:

bowtech gives you the range they got....I like that....

The original Diamond bows gave what they consistently got....

Not at all surprised by them findings.... :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
sell bows

one company has to do that to sell bows thats why they are so expensive any magazine you look at they have a 3 page ad dont always believe what you read

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
My Switchback last year,

350 grain arrow, 71 lbs, 30 1/4" draw, 318 fps, nothing on string. IBO 318

My XT this year,

65 lbs, 330 grain arrow (5 grains over IBO for that weight), 30 1/4" draw

311 fps IBO 315

I'd say they are pretty close :wink:

·
74,535 Posts
My Apex7 is right on

I have seen bows not reach there advertised speeds. Personally I want accuracy and not speed.:wink:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
you got a good one then.
30''draw 350gr 71lbs all in perfect spec. meaning cam rotation,brace height, idler lean,paper tuned.
xt= 294
swback= 306
mabey i just got two slower ones. i'm not being smart i actually mean that.
29'' tribute 72lbs 360gr arrow=319
and my chrono is dead on that is average over 10 shots. birth cert. reads 317:wink:
i still like my mathews and i am not bashing i am very serious. just trying to understand!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
to daniel: good point bro
but i like to know if i buy a bow for x amount that says 315 i would like to think/or would hope it would be close.:wink:

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I think my prestige is right on. I have a 27" draw, and I am shooting a 393 grain arrow at 280 fps. I am pretty sure if I shot at 5 grains per inch that it would be right on.

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
My Apex 7,

60 lbs

335 grain arrow

314 fps

30 1/4" draw.

IBO 320

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Both mine have..

Both my switvhbacks have reached the IBO speed advertised:wink:
at least after its been tuned, not factory tuned but tweaked and tuned!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
good input guys it is appreciated!!:wink:

thought mabey limbs had wrong sticker and were 60 instead of 70 but scale verified 70. the speed difference between the two is what kind of erks me.
i wouldn't say anything:zip: but 306 is not 318 or really that close 12fps diff. un-noticeable but still bows are a lot of $$$$
didn't think of it until now but i have vapor trail strings/cable on my mathews. but i don't think it would slow it down that much if at all??

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
bowhunterslim said:
one company has to do that to sell bows thats why they are so expensive any magazine you look at they have a 3 page ad dont always believe what you read
I was wondering why all the other major bow companys bows was $200 to $300 cheaper then a mathews :rolleyes:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
the $ is :eek: :wink: one thing i hate to say but my experience is i have had more limb problems with my mathews than bowtech even most of u won't believe it. but mathews customer service is top notch. i don't understand some threads bashing bowtech limbs. i have never had a single problem what so ever with there limb quality. there service is also top notch.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Cam timing and very close ata is critical to get the optimum speed out of your Mathews.Mine would not when I first got it.But I built my own press, and made sure everything was dead on spec wise, and ibo speed was achieved.As many dealers that I have seen that dont know squat about tuning a Mathews bow, its no wonder that many will not reach optimum speed.Mine is 30", 60lbs, and with a 308 gr. arrow with only a d loop will consistantly shoot 305.My hunting setup shoots right around 280, right about where I want it shooting fixed heads.

·
Registered
685 Posts
again

tuning tuning tuning.
I for one do not like tributes,,, I went to local BT dealer and family friend to look at bows and I sat there while he was tearing another down. He had aBOX of BT trib limbs. Said he had cahnged way to many.
My opinion is there is a design limitation for the stock limbs with the tribute.
Now put on a higher quality, more precisely produced Barnsdale limbs and you will never see one sliver or break.
BUT as for the money the BT bows are at or over 700 hoyts over 700 my XT 637.
As for speed I have a 70 lb Xt set at 65 lbs with a 27 in draw and 390+ grain arrows and so far ir chronos at 266/267, So I dont really think im slow, figure add 30 for 3 in dl subtract the arrow weight to IBO AND crank it up to 70lbs.
I dont really think it will be slow.
And since work is h*ll and I havent got a lot of shots through it yet and its allready speeded up as it settles in and the wax works its way out of the new string (all new strings are built with wax in them so they do shed some as you shoot).
BUT they all need to be in spec and if not they will be noisy and shoot like crap too, no matter the brand..
OH and form can also slow a bow down and type of arrows/fletchings.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I'm getting 284 out of my 05 Switchback. IBO 318
61# - 20 (28" draw)
- 6 (325 grain arrow)
- 5 (loop & peep) ?
---------
Just a backyard shooter/hunter I'm sure if it was tune perfectly I would get the extra 2 fps. By the way I lost about 3fps going to a Winners Choice string. So I'd say its probably right on the nose! I must be one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
My problem with Mathews is that I could never keep them tuned. Its already been said you have to have everything just right. All I ever did was put it in the press and twist this or that to keep it in spec. I'd shoot for awhile and next thing you know the cam rotated. I even replaced the cables. Over a year later on my 05 Allegiance I haven't had to touch anything once and it's still where it was when it was new. Same goes for my Tribute this year. I haven't had to touch it yet. Mathews makes great bows but when I pay top dollar for them I don't want to have to mess with them constantly. JMO.

·
74,535 Posts
Your wrong

dac said:
I was wondering why all the other major bow companys bows was $200 to $300 cheaper then a mathews :rolleyes:
Bowtech and Hoyt both sell for more than the Switchbacks in my area.

Hoyt Tyrkon is $659.00
Bowtech are over $700.00
Swithcback $639.00

1 - 20 of 44 Posts