Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well with most seasons underway or getting ready to be the yearly reamergence of the jackasses is underway. with the bragging threads of all the irresponible things folks have tried and got "lucky" enough to kill what they were shooting at.

so in an attempt to reafirm that not all bowhunters are iresponsible morons let us responsible bowhunters start us a bragging thread to brag about the responsible decisions we have made wether it be a nail biting story of how we had to wait for hours for the right shot to present itself or the shots we had to pass at the biggest buck we have ever seen. you all get the picture:wink:

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
I passed up a "HUGE" Roosevelt bull yesterday (Sunday here) at 3 yards cuz he was highly P.O. ed and looking for a fight and the angle was severly quartering to and then severly quartering away. No clean shot and he lived to see another day healthy.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If I encounter trash out in the woods, I pick it and take it with me to throw away later.

·
Registered
970 Posts
A buddy and I on a backpacking trip took out 2 50-gallon trash bags of garbage that had been thrown to the side of the 4X4 trail we drove in on at the Big South Fork River Recreation Area in TN back when I was in college.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i passed up a shot at a 130 class 11 point in PA a few years back made for one of the most exiting afternoons of my life. it was the second week of november (prime time in PA) i had just got on stand about 20 minutes prior. it was about 12:50 pm .then this doe comes busting down out of the thicket above me followed by this huge 11 pointthe pair ran back and forth on the hillside for about 10 minutes with his nose firmly glued to her rear. they got about 38-40 yards from my stand when they stoped she started feeding in my direction while he trashed a tree and then pawed himself a new scrape. by that time she was within 20 yards of me and i just new what was to happen next:confused: well i was wrong she bedded down 20 yards behind me and he stood right where he was and watched her for a few minutes before laying down himself. so here i was i have a 130 class 11 point bedded down broadside to me at 40 yards. my max distance i set for myself at this point in my life (it was a few years back) was 25 yards. i was only using a 1 pin sight set at 25 yards. i watched him the for about 40 minutes before i couldn't take it no more. i got my grunt call and tried to trick him into coming down so i left out 2 deep long grunts to make him think another buck was messin with his lady well it kinda worked both deer instantly came to their feet and she trotted right back up the hill the way she came with him glued to her rear.i never did see that buck again but i don't regret not trying to shoot him i knew my limits and even though i was much younger and less experienced than i am now i had enough respect for the deer not to try to shoot outside of my personally set effective range. i did harvest a doe that same night just before sun down she cam into 12 yards a shot i was much more comfortable with

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Saw a guy trying to drag his buck up a hill out of the public area that joins up to our leased land. I dropped my stuff and went down and helped him drag that sucker out. He was a pretty nice guy.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've passed on two p&y bucks, that presented bad angles, or poor shots, and ended up taking each of those bucks later the same season. If you don't tip off the deer by hunting the same stands too often, and are careful with scent, you will not disturb the deer, and they will stick around.

The first buck was a 144g/138n 9pt that was walking straight away at 12yds when I first saw him, he never stopped, I drew on him twice hoping he would change direction, but it never happened. I shot him 2 weeks later in a different stand at 16yds, the 4th time I saw him.

The other was a 131g/126n 10pt that was quartering to me at 32yds in a steady rain. The weather man said the rain would stop 45 min before dark, and I set up on a scrape that he would need to freshen up. I could have made the shot with a better angle, but with the rain, I passed. This was the only deer I wanted to shoot, and there was some dramatic internal dialog when it was taking place. Here I was sitting in the rain, waiting for one and only one deer to come by, he comes by, and I decided to pass. Basically I felt ignorant for sitting in the rain for a couple hrs. I had seen this deer multiple times before finally arrowing him at 9yds.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Had a very rewarding year;
Spent 2 weeks elk hunting a spike/cow only area & saw ton's of nice bulls. Two days before the hunt ended I drove to another spike only area to try & locate some bulls for my uncle's hunt which started 3 days later (Limited Entry Rifle). It seemed too easy to walk right up on a spike & cow call him to 15 yards & plunk him. I packed him out the following day & got him to the meat locker & returned for my uncles hunt to start the following morning. He passed on a couple of bulls in the morning. That afternoon we ran into an older guy who had dropped his son off high on the mountain & had killed a nice 6 point. He had no clue where he was at & they had no help to get this pig off the hill. Being very familiar with the area I told my grandpa & uncle to hunt the afternoon while my son & I helped this guy get his elk off the mountain. They were very unprepared & we ended up using our packs, game bags & 4-wheelers to get the bull off the hill.

Last Thursday we were back after my uncles bull. That night we found a guy that had been in a bad wreck on a new Polaris Sportsman. Luckily he had a helmet on but he still had head injuries including a broken nose. We hauled him off the hill & drove 50 miles to the nearest hospital, stopping twice so he could huck-up all the blood that he was swallowing. We were rewarded the following day with my uncle having the oppertunity to take a respectable bull. I guess karma does exist?

My uncle & my 87 year old grandpa (it did turn into winter here in Utah)

My little guy

·
Registered
443 Posts
2 years ago I passed on the largest buck I ever let walk. The only shot presented was straight down..Awesome morning during the rut..I passed on 9 young bucks that season and ended up with 1 doe in the freezer..Wouldn't have it any other way!:thumbs_up

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
doing the right thing--- teaching a rookie

I've always picked up garbage in the woods. On several occasions I have helped people that I didn't know drag deer out.
This yr a long time friend and bow hunting partner got his first shot at a deer. I was sooo happy for him. I asked him everything about the shot and the way the deer reacted. He said it was 1/4 away and then just walked off. We waited an hr and we went in together. We pushed the deer up and he wanted to continue to trail........ I said no we need to give him time to die. My buddy was a little disheartened to say the least. We walked out and went to look for the arrow, he had looked for it B4 but w/no luck. We still didn't find it. We gave it another 2hrs and then went back in........ jumped him again.
By this time my buddy had almost lost all hope and said' I think this deer is going to live and we should go home' AT which I got a little perturbed! I told him that if his shot was what he said it was then the deer was dead on its feet. We gave the deer another 2hrs and came back. Went back in and got to a little ridge as we were tracking and out pops a deer...... well my buddy almost lost it. I told him very quietly not to worry, we tracked the blood for another 10yds and found the deer.
Well his shot wasn't what he said. The deer had come down a trail and something didn't feel right..... he turned around and started walking back the way he came, my buddy drew as it was 1/4 and loosed his arrow. Caught the deer right in the right hind leg about 2" high and to the right of the anus.
When we found the deer I congratulated him on his first ever deer. He looked at me and frowned, 'ya but look at the shot placement'. I said yup not the best but now you can track and just think what else you learned from this. I/he was grateful that there was 2 people to track...... he would not have found the deer w/out me, either would have just given up or lost the trail as he did many times.
I used this as a learning exp for my buddy. He has always use my stands and never wanted to put much preseason work into his hunt. As we were dragging his deer out I made mention of all the other deer trails and how thick they were in certain spots. At many points telling him that this would be a good spot to hang a stand and so on.
I hope next yr he would pass on this shot and take something a little more ethical:wink: Wait for the right shot

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
A brother of an old girlfriend of mine brought his girlfriend right under my tree, spread out a blanklet and I interuppted them before they got a good star. I felt like that was the "responsible thing to do, esp to the brother of an ex.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
A brother of an old girlfriend of mine brought his girlfriend right under my tree, spread out a blanklet and I interupted them before they got a good start. I felt like that was the "responsible" thing to do, esp to the brother of an ex.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts