Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know of an archer who can go for months at a time or even more than a year without shooting a bow, pick one up and immediately shoot bullseyes anytime, like they were shooting all their life non stop ?
My cousin Marvin is exactly like that.
I shoot mostly all year and Marvin can take a year off and smoke me in a challenge match. :(
I have only beaten Marvin once in the last 12 years of challenging him to shoot. :eek: :rolleyes: :mad: :(
That was mostly because I shot against him with my Spot bow and had been practicing a lot at the time.
Another cousin, who is a former state champ in his class, has never beaten Marvin shooting either.
What makes it so painful and humiliating for us is that Marvin has never competed in a tournament of any kind but beats my cousin and I with ease.
Almost didn't want to start this thread because it's an embarrassment. LOL :)
Anyone else know of any "Naturals" out there ?

Sag.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I don't mean to brag, but I have that ability for some reason, and it relly ticks my friends off. The only thing that I can say is good concentration. Archery is 95 percent mental and 5 percent physical.

·
Registered
487 Posts
As soon as i saw this post i thought of my long time friend who is the opposite of a natural,he has been bow hunting for 30 years and still can't shoot.He could be standing on a diving board and could'nt put an arrow in a swimming pool.Any shooting past 10yrds, he's losing arrows.
How do you do a walk back tuning when you can't put three arrows in a hula hoop at 20 yrds.Its truly something worth seeing.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
My ex-wife was like that. She probably had more natural ability than anybody male or female i have ever seen shoot. She could put her bow down for 6 or 7 months and pick it back up and go right back at it. I saw her a few yrs ago not shot her bow since august of the previous yr and picked it up a week before the ASA shoot in gainsville and go there and kick everybody in the womens open class and win.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
my ex shooting buddy took up motor cross and stopped shooting. He came to the shop two years later and shot a 300-- 58x game. Go figure. We are still friends but he doesn't shoot anymore. He just gets banged up riding motor cycles.

·
has been that never was
14,362 Posts
My wife might be that way. I bought a bow from her that was bascially setup already and pretty much to her spec. She had never even pulled a bow before except to try and figure out draw length and what weight she could handle. In the 2 days waiting for the bow to arrive I gave her my toy I used to practice back tension. Just to teach her how to hold her arm, find a natural anchor point, etc. And to get used to pulling through the trigger on a little bitty goose.

So, the bow comes in and we head to the indoor. She would not shoot at first since others were there. I shot her bow about 20-25 times to get an idea if the pin was anywhere in the range of reality. Then she wanted her turn. She stepped to the line, pulled and anchored where she had been practicing. I moved the peep slightly to get it in place. She let down and reset. Next she pulled, anchored, held and without even a twitch of a flinch she pulled through the trigger and hit in the blue on a 5 spot. About 30 shots later she was grouping at about 4-5 inches at 20 yards with only the odd shot missing a 5 spot face. I moved her sight and peep slightly. Another 30 shots and she was not missing the 5 spot face ever and had the groups at 2 to 3 inches. There were a couple of guys at the indoor that had been shooting for years and they not shooting as well as she. One actually started getting mad and accused us of lying about her shooting.

She decided not to shoot for a while then about a month later went to shoot again. About 5 practice shots and she was around 75% in the 5 ring on a 5 spot. Was driving me crazy.. :frusty: I think I should let her practice and see if I can make a living letting her hustle the guys.. :whoo:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have a friend just like that. He used to shoot 3D a lot but seldom shoots at all now. If we get together just to shoot he'll go get his bow out of his shop,, blow the saw dust and other crap off and spank my tail with it...and I've been shooting all summer! If I stop shooting for 2 days I start missing again.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about DarrinM ?

DarrinM picked up a bow he didn't own the other day, shot it backwards, and still beat a top Mathews Pro Shooter.
Won't say who. :)
Sounds like a "Natural" to me. ;)

Sag.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Any barebow shooters ----

Know of any barebow shooter than can shoot well after an extended layoff? Now that would really get my respect!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
My brother. That kid can shoot. He has been shooting about 2 years less than me and can go months if he wanted to without shooting, and still beat my butt in the backyard, and I shoot almost everyday. Kid pisses me off. We have a weekly BBQ/backyard shoot with some freinds every week, and he smokes us. True story...... He went on vacation for 3 weeks. Hadn't even picked up a bow since 2 weeks prior to that as he was out of town for work. So let's say he hadn't shot for 5 weeks. Well he gets back and we have our weekly shoot. We all thought we were golden. My buddy shot first and stuck one right in the center of the bullseye. My brother was shooting second. So my brother tells the guy, "your about to lose a nock". His first shot in 5 weeks and he busts the nock off the guys arrow. Like riding a bike to him I guess. Wish I could do it.

·
NAASP
6,809 Posts
I can shoot day after day and when I'm in the zone put three arrows in a one inch dot at thirty yards with my hunting bow (no peep just a kisser button). If I don't shoot for a year my first three shots are more like three inches. I think if you shot every afternoon after school for years like I did as a kid, it gets hardwired into your brain or something. I can still to this day pick up a wrist rocket and a marble and keyhole a beer can at fifteen yards 2 out of 3 times. That's because a pocket rocket never left my side from fouth grade thru seventh.....till K-Mart had an after Christmas sale and my Dad bought me a brand new Fred Bear Kodiak Magnum pulling 60 pounds (I dont think I ever made it to full draw with that beast) so I sold it for a Bear Whitetail II four-wheel compound. Looking back I'd kill to have the first bow my Dad bought me.:sad: I only did this once so I don't know if it was a fluke, but an old friend let me shoot his new Martin Hunter 62 pounds with his fancy crested arrows and I put the whole quiver in a pie plate at twenty yards. I shot it just like I shot my old Wrist Rocket. He was speechless. I said , "What's the big deal?" and he just shook his head. Thinking about it now makes me want a Schaffer Silver Tip real bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anchor Sight

I can put my bow away and pick it up a year later and I will shoot just as well, simply because I have an anchor sight instead of a peep.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
bird said:
As soon as i saw this post i thought of my long time friend who is the opposite of a natural,he has been bow hunting for 30 years and still can't shoot.He could be standing on a diving board and could'nt put an arrow in a swimming pool.Any shooting past 10yrds, he's losing arrows.
How do you do a walk back tuning when you can't put three arrows in a hula hoop at 20 yrds.Its truly something worth seeing.

LOL:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Not quite

When I picked up my current bow at the pro shop in 2003 after several years of not shooting at all, I did great. We pulled the bow off the rack, no sight, eyeballed the rest, and I put 2 arrows the dealer handed me touching at 14 yards and the 3rd within an arrow diameter - with no sight. I was amazed. The dealer asked why I wanted to use a sight if I could do that without one.

But it was all down hill after that. 2 of my next three missed the target - not the face, the whole target. He then asked which sight I wanted him to put on. :embara:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts