Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not a "newbie" when it comes to bowhunting, it's just been about 12 years since i have done it. i started looking at some bows at a loacl bowshop in Orange County and i was directed towards a couple of bows.

The Mathews Switchback LD and Hoyt Trykon XL. My draw is 32". the problem, they didn't have either bow in my draw available to shoot. They also will not order both bows (to have in stock) so that i could shoot them and make a decision (no biggie, they can't accomodate everyone). While i was there, someone made the comment (regarding the 2 bows) "It's like comparing BMW and Mercedes"

well, that was a big help, NOT..... so, can i get some feedback and suggestions. I am noticing differences in FPS...how big of a difference does it make bewtween 10-15 fps?? (they are priced about the same)

i will be hunting next fall in Montana for elk...some pig around here (SoCal) and then making plans for whitetail.

thanks everyone for the help. hope i didn't start a war.

will
ps- does anyone on here spearfish? i am into this sport hardcore. here's a coupla pics of a Baja Grouper and some local yellowtail

Attachments

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
Man those are some great pics.

At your draw though I wouldn't go with either bow you mentioned. I would go with a Hoyt Pro Tec or Ultra Tec or a mathews Apex 7 or Apex. All three of them will be longer and at your height give you a much better string angle. From what you said you wanted to hunt you don't need a real shart bow since you won't be hunting from a tree stand (not that you need one to hunt from a tree stand). You should beable to find an Ultra/Pro Tec to shoot but you still may be out of luck on the Apex's. But you can't go wrong with any of the 4.

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,490 Posts
The SB LD is a 33" Axle to Axle bow is way too short for a 32" draw. The Trykon XL at 35"-36" is pushing it also.

If I had a 32" draw I would look at something like the Mathews Ovation or a Hoyt Protec or Ultratec with XT3000 limbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
olehemlock said:
The SB LD is a 33" Axle to Axle bow is way too short for a 32" draw. The Trykon XL at 35"-36" is pushing it also.

If I had a 32" draw I would look at something like the Mathews Ovation or a Hoyt Protec or Ultratec with XT3000 limbs.
i guess i need some schooling as to why i need a longer axle to axle. what benefit am i going to get going from 33" to 36" or upto 40"

thanks

will

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
They are both very good bows will do the job that you have in mind. I have the opposite problem from you in that I have a short draw length (26") and nobody stocks bows that fit me either.

The speed of both bows is certainly adequate for the game that you listed, especially at your draw length. You have an advantage in that, if the bow is properly set up, you will get better than advertised speeds.

The comparison to cars is actually valid. If you pick either one, you won't make a mistake. These bows are the latest and greatest from two of the big manufacturers.

One thing to keep in mind is that short ATA bows often are not as comfortable with a long DL as a longer ATA. This is because of the angle of the string at full draw. Even at my short DL, my 31.5" hunting bow is not as comfortable as my 38" target bow. Either you have to anchor very high on your face or the peep (if you use one) is very far away from your eye. This means that even the largest peep is too small.

One thing that you might try is if the shop has a 30" bow available, you can tie on a 2" D loop. This is certainly not the best way to try a bow, but it may give you enough information to make a selection.

Another factor to consider is the shop that you buy the bow from. Which shop makes you feel the most comfortable. A good relationship with the people in a shop can make archery a lot more fun.

Good luck,
Allen

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,490 Posts
Will Laribee said:
i guess i need some schooling as to why i need a longer axle to axle. what benefit am i going to get going from 33" to 36" or upto 40"

thanks

will
The string angle will be to severe on the shorter ATA bows. Put's the peep way out in from of you. Makes for a uncomfortable sight picture. Can be harder to tune also.

Lets take a look at the Hoyt Ultratec with the XT3000 limbs and spirals(40 ata and 7.5" brachieght). This bow at your draw length and 60lbs would shoot a 400gr arrow pretty close to 290fps. Thats about 74lbs of KE. More than enough speed and ke for anything you can hunt in north america.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts