Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,532 Posts
There is one MAJOR flaw with these heads - the fixed blade is as dull as they come. I bought a pack and that was one of the first things I noticed. I tried quite hard to cut my finger on the main blades (as strange as that sounds - but I noticed right away how dull they were and couldn't believe they were really that bad). I literally could not cut my finger on them. The dullest blade I've every experienced out of the package on any head in > 25 years. The expandable blades were fine. I also had a Trocar HB (the stainless version from last year) that I guy sent me but I never really tested.

So I tested and compared them both yesterday. I like the Ti ferrule of the new one a little better than the SS - mainly the point on it. I don't love the fact that you need a collar whereas the ss doesn't have one. The SS main blades are 2 separate blades that lock into the ferrule but need pressure form arrow to hold securely in place whereas the Ti is one connected piece of metal with blades on both side that fits into ferrule (a little like a slick trick frankly) held in place by the collar which also needs pressure from arrow to hold in place. I like the design of the Ti main blade better other than the edge which is terrible (it's a single bevel scalloped blade that simply isn't sharp) whereas the edge on the SS is good an sharp just like the expandable blades. The expandable blades on both open to the same diameter but look different in shape - both the catch and blade portion. The Ti version looks meatier (and tricked up a bit) but my plywood test actually resulted in a slight bend to one of the Ti blades whereas the SS blades didn't bend - so looks can be deceiving.

Flight and accuracy was tested out to 40 yards with a Magnus Black Hornet as a point of comparison. My bow is well tuned and all 3 flew well but I was amazed how perfectly the Muzzy hybrids flew - as good as any true expandable I've shot. I've give a very slight nod to the SS probably due to the shorter ferrule - it flew as good as any field point - so impressive heads from an accuracy standpoint.

One concern is that the rear deploy blades have no retention system other than friction. It's not that hard to move them although they did stay closed with various tapping etc. on the shaft. Your fear would be opening in flight but I found no such issue. They stayed in place in flight and opened on impact. The biggest concern you'd have is a situation where something actually bumped one of the blades before you fire it causing it to partially deploy and you don't notice it. If you are careful to make sure the blades are fully closed before firing you'll be fine.

Both heads open on impact and put a very nice hole in the target. I did a mild durability test that I always do shooting the heads through 1/2" plywood. Both heads held up well and fully deployed on impact. Penetration was very good. Absolutely no damage to tip or main blade. The Ti looked perfect at first but when I tried to re-close the blades I had a hard time getting one, in particular, seated properly (both were a little off but one more than the other). On very close inspection it was due to a minute bend in the blade but no breakage and the head did its job. With the SS version both rear deploy blades seated fine with no indication of bending. I could take pics of both but they both frankly would look like new heads in the picture so doesn't accomplish much.

Overall I was fairly impressed with the design and functionality of the heads other than the lack of sharpness on the main Ti blades. Sharpness matters and for that reason I wouldn't use the heads on big game....period. I would use the SS version. Because there are some design elements of the Ti I like better - namely the Ti ferrule with a slightly more extended point (which would be better for avoiding potential deflections) and the single metal main blades which seem stronger and more secure than the individual blades on the SS - I wish they would offer a Ti version with regular straight 2 - edged blades. That would be a winner for sure. Nonetheless, I may use the SS version this year and hope they get their act together with the main blades on the Ti version - either soon or for a next year release.

·
Registered
17,341 Posts
Yeah I found taking them out of my quiver and the head hits the hood one blade always deployed a litte and then shot it would open in the air, and out of my 74lber and 81lber 450 grain and 587 grain arrow they opened in flight almost every time. Terrible retention system if u need to pay attention to it getting it out of the quiver on a spot and stalk hunt. And I checked my main blades are dull as well.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Unfortunately if sharp blades out of the package are required for a broadhead, you have precious few to choose from. There are some exceptions but most require sharpening if you want to hunt with hair shaving sharp blades these days.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I bought some last year to test ....

The blades need to be touched up.....not hard to do....but it is unacceptable for Muzzy.

For example....Wasps come scalpal sharp out of the pack.

The Muzzy Trocar Ti are super tough... I shot them at angled plywood several times and they did not break.

I shot them out to 50 yards with blades fully deployed....and they hit right with f.p....no noise or rattle....I like that there is no retention system.

I give them a 9 out of 10 (after blades are touched up).

The only thing this head needs is a locking feature on the mechanical blades to lock open.

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,540 Posts
Yes I was really digging these until I opened a pack up... You couldn't cut a donut with these things. I mean I was running my finger down pretty hard and nothing. WTH is the point of selling broad heads like this!

I looked at the ONE also from Muzzy. ONE thing they didn't do is sharpen their broad heads! Ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Yes I was really digging these until I opened a pack up... You couldn't cut a donut with these things. I mean I was running my finger down pretty hard and nothing. WTH is the point of selling broad heads like this!

I looked at the ONE also from Muzzy. ONE thing they didn't do is sharpen their broad heads! Ridiculous!
That's MASS production.....and BIG business.

Muzzy blades were always sharp in the "old days".

I never let sharpness sway me...because even sharp broadheads could always use a final polishing/stropping.

Get a KME sharpener and a leather strop or rouge and cardboard.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That's MASS production.....and BIG business.

Muzzy blades were always sharp in the "old days".

I never let sharpness sway me...because even sharp broadheads could always use a final polishing/stropping.

Get a KME sharpener and a leather strop or rouge and cardboard.
Lots of broadheads available that are both sharp and have good edge retention right out of the package. No need to pay premium prices for dull out of the package heads when there are so many other options available.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Lots of broadheads available that are both sharp and have good edge retention right out of the package. No need to pay premium prices for dull out of the package heads when there are so many other options available.
I agree, BUT it only takes a few minutes to touch up the blades.

Very FEW broadheads are spooky sharp out of the box.

The more I shoot the Muzzy the more I like it....the hole it leaves looks devastating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts