Archery Talk Forum banner

The OK Archery X-Energy 39 Review

1857 Views 18 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  nuts&bolts
OK Archery X-Energy 39 Review

In a word… Quality! To describe the OK Archery X-Energy 39 would be the definition of quality from cam to cam!

As you hold the XE-39 in your hand, the first thing you’ll notice is the grip. The grip feels like an extension of the hand. Perfect fit… It’s hard to explain but if you’ve ever held a premium 1911 pistol, you’d understand. The grip sits nicely in the palm perfectly following the lifeline of the hand at just the correct angle. The top of the grip molds to the top of the hand ensuring the exact same placement, every time. The grip promotes repeatability. If one were to torque this grip it would be immediately evident in that it would feel awkward and un-natural in the hand. The grip design promotes a neutral, non-torque grip placement ensuring continued repeatability.
Automotive tire Wood Line Engineering Composite material

The amazing machine work does not stop at the grip but is continued throughout the entire riser. Absolutely no flaws in machine work or anodizing and incredible design features throughout. The design is ambidextrous allowing for left and right-handed shooting simultaneously without the need for any modification of the bow. The riser’s shoot through design guarantees complete rigidity in all planes with perfect balance in all directions.

One of my most desired features of the bow is the ability to add weight directly under the grip. This integrated design feature allows the bow to hang like a pendulum in the hand. In addition, the adding of components such as arrow rest, sight, quiver, stabilizer, etc. has minimal impact to the balance of the bow due to the centralized mass weight directly under the bow grip. The centered mass weight under the bow grip exceeds any leverage the weight of the accessories applies ensuring the bow always settles perfectly in the vertical plane resulting in a level sight bubble every time. In addition, the weight stack under the grip is customizable to allow the archer to customize the relation of mass weight of the bow to the respectable holding weight of the bow, however they desire.
Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood

The limbs are wide and completely secured into machined limb pockets guaranteeing no movement or shifting at any time. At rest, the limbs have a nice gradual curve all the way to the tips that become beyond parallel when the bow is taken to full draw. This design of allowing the limbs to move beyond parallel at full draw ensures the energy stored in the limbs moves in the vertical plane away from the archer’s hand when shot ensuring minimal felt vibration and minimal forward jump at the shot yet still allows enough feedback to gauge shot response.

Moving into the cams you’ll notice the beefy oversized axle shafts capable of handling the stored energy without fear of bending. The cams offer shoot through cable design ensuring complete balance in the horizontal plane without torquing or twisting of the limb tips from rest to full draw and back to rest after the shot. Due to this completely balanced design, arrow selection is improved as a wider range of arrow stiffness will bare shaft and tune, without issue. The draw cycle is as smooth as they come. Hitting initial peak weight early on and then gradually tapering down to the appropriate holding weight.
Brown Grey Wood Font Beige
Brown Wood Bag Beige Pattern

Lastly are the strings. Gone are the days of buying a new premium bow only to have to replace the strings before shooting. The strings included with the bow are premium custom build quality using the best materials ensuring repeatability and consistency right out of the box.

In summary, the OK Archery X-Energy 39 is perfection from design to application. Many archery manufactures have produced products with perfect accuracy enhancing geometry characteristics yet failed to make it look appealing to the eye. Likewise, many archery companies have made archery products that look amazing to the eye, yet do not shoot well due to design flaws. OK Archery has bridged that gap by producing a bow that offers all the accuracy enhancing design concepts while still maintaining a look that is appealing to the archer.
Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood
Automotive tire Font Wood Pattern Composite material

Shoot one for yourself to see all the OK Archery company has to offer!
Font Urban design Brick Landmark Pattern
Reactions: BobG88
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,440 Posts
You obviously have a high opinion of this bow - but it's simply that - just your opinion. Now go win a few competitions with this bow - then come back to us - can't wait.....BTW...NO bow is inherently more accurate than any other on the market - if so we'd all be shooting it. So maybe change the heading to "My Review" and drop the unsupported and grandiose claim - and leave it at that.

Reactions: Alaska at heart

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You obviously have a high opinion of this bow - but it's simply that - just your opinion. Now go win a few competitions with this bow - then come back to us - can't wait.....BTW...NO bow is inherently more accurate than any other on the market - if so we'd all be shooting it. So maybe change the heading to "My Review" and drop the unsupported and grandiose claim - and leave it at that.
Thank you for taking the time to read it, Johno. Yes, it is my opinion based on other bows I’ve owned that include all the big names like Bowtech, Mathews, PSE, Hoyt, etc. I don’t know where you live but if we’re ever at the same shoot together you’re welcome to shoot it for yourself.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I should have had you write the ad for the ritual I listed in the classifieds......lol
Ha! Maybe I missed my calling in advertisement!! Spent all these years in IT when I should have been focused on marketing. 🙂 In all honesty, I don’t write reviews, only if I’m very impressed by something. Obviously I’m impressed by this one! 🙂. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Johnno says “NO bow is inherently more accurate than any other on the market - if so we'd all be shooting it.”

Let’s discuss this using Johnno’s bows of choice as a comparison to prove if one bow is more inherently accurate than another…

Starting with Johnno’s PSE full throttle. It is a good bow, still one of the fastest. The cam and a half system on the full throttle was good for its time. The PSE engineers understood the need to mitigate limb twisting as the cam leverage moves from the string to the cables. For this reason they offered a flex guard to help mitigate the stress placed on the riser and limbs as the stress is transitioned to the cables. In addition, because of the cam and a half, the upper yoke was still available to introduce pre-lean into the cam system to compensate for the twisting that occurs during the draw cycle and ultimately during release. Unfortunately the lower cam does not offer a split yoke so cam spacing via shims may be needed to obtain proper flight. Worst case scenario, limb swapping could occur to get the right stiffness to counter act the pressure applied to limbs, cams and riser. Also, since the time of PSE’s use of a flex guard, PSE has announced the flex guard is inferior to a solid cable guard from a tuning perspective and now only offers solid cable guards.

The OK Archery cam system is fully balance on both sides, uses identical limb stiffness all the way around, and everything is lined up the middle as no twisting occurs at rest, during draw, at shot, and back to rest.

Now, lets look at Johnno’s Bowtech Realm SR6. Again, another great bow for its time. Dual split yoke binary cam system, a true marvel of a cam system. Having the ability to pre lean the cams with the yokes to counteract the side pull of the cables was a good option as we knew there would be some limb twisting during the string to cable power transition. In addition, Bowtech used and still uses the flex guard on their bows. I guess Bowtech doesn’t feel the same about the flex guards as PSE does…. Since then the dual binary split yoke system has went to the Deadlock system so now instead of “leaning” our cams we can shift them along the axle. Another marvel of an invention however lean is still induced during the power shift from string to cable so now we need to look at arranging limbs to get the stiffness in an order to minimize flex at the limb tips during the draw cycle and shot sequence. Watch the Bowtech Facebook page where in an interview Paige explains why her bows never have the same limb color. She states, she goes through all her bows to find the right combination of limbs to get the bow’s limb configuration to shoot the way she likes. This is a viable option for pros that have access to so many limbs but the average person doesn’t have that luxury.

The OK Archery bow utilizes matched limbs and cables and the only force applied to the cams is always equal with no flexing of the limb tips or cams so no limb twisting thereby eliminating the need to do what is mentioned for both the bows mentioned above.

These are basic engineering principals not opinions.

· Registered
30,600 Posts
This isn't a review. It's a advertisement.
Seems that way to me as well. We all like our choice of bows.....at least initially. The "new buyer honeymoon" phase doesn't always last.....as a host of nearly new bows for sale in the AT classifieds, attests. I would be more impressed with such a "review" after a year or two of ownership, to verify if this sweeping opinion, "the OK Archery X-Energy 39 is perfection from design to application", held up or another brand/model was then a better iteration of "perfection".

· Registered
22,968 Posts
Made a good choice on the sight & rest. The DS Advantage is the top of the line in precision machining.

Reactions: Isaac

· Shootin and Cussin
27,286 Posts
I still love my DST 40. It's the best indoor spot bow I have ever shot.

Reactions: Isaac and BobG88

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems that way to me as well. We all like our choice of bows.....at least initially. The "new buyer honeymoon" phase doesn't always last.....as a host of nearly new bows for sale in the AT classifieds, attests. I would be more impressed with such a "review" after a year or two of ownership, to verify if this sweeping opinion, "the OK Archery X-Energy 39 is perfection from design to application", held up or another brand/model was then a better iteration of "perfection".
Ahh, the honeymoon phase… while the honeymoon phase is common with new archery equipment, I can assure you that is not the case here. In fact, if you look at the picture below, you’ll see that I’ve been shooting double shoot through bows for over 20 years. I built the first double shoot through bows below with collaboration from Bruce Hollowell of Coyote Archery, David Barnsdale of Barnsdale Archery, and Stewart Bowman (RIP) of Bowman archery. Throughout this process I learned all the important aspects of accuracy enhancing features mentioned in the review. I mistakenly sold the bows below and tried all the mass produced offerings from the “big names”. However, I always desired the forgiveness of the double shoot through and now have a viable replacement of excellent quality. After all the years of products I’ve used, I’m surely no longer easily impressed, so I assure you this is the farthest thing from a honeymoon phase. Thank you for taking the time to read the review.
Body jewelry Dress Earrings Twig Couch

· Registered
1,159 Posts
i agree on the OK quality. nothing comes close. i owned the dst 36 for a few years. better aluminum and tolerances. easier to tune, no need for deadlock tech or SET tech. just run the arrow in the middle of the riser were all great features. lack of customer support due to lack of local dealers, slight touch of cables on my bow arm, needing splitters to shoot large diameter arrows, and cost were a few drawbacks. now i shoot a pse citation 36 which is gettin closer to OK type quality but with better local service.

· Registered
426 Posts
OK Archery X-Energy 39 Review

In a word… Quality! To describe the OK Archery X-Energy 39 would be the definition of quality from cam to cam!

As you hold the XE-39 in your hand, the first thing you’ll notice is the grip. The grip feels like an extension of the hand. Perfect fit… It’s hard to explain but if you’ve ever held a premium 1911 pistol, you’d understand. The grip sits nicely in the palm perfectly following the lifeline of the hand at just the correct angle. The top of the grip molds to the top of the hand ensuring the exact same placement, every time. The grip promotes repeatability. If one were to torque this grip it would be immediately evident in that it would feel awkward and un-natural in the hand. The grip design promotes a neutral, non-torque grip placement ensuring continued repeatability.
View attachment 7599465

The amazing machine work does not stop at the grip but is continued throughout the entire riser. Absolutely no flaws in machine work or anodizing and incredible design features throughout. The design is ambidextrous allowing for left and right-handed shooting simultaneously without the need for any modification of the bow. The riser’s shoot through design guarantees complete rigidity in all planes with perfect balance in all directions.

One of my most desired features of the bow is the ability to add weight directly under the grip. This integrated design feature allows the bow to hang like a pendulum in the hand. In addition, the adding of components such as arrow rest, sight, quiver, stabilizer, etc. has minimal impact to the balance of the bow due to the centralized mass weight directly under the bow grip. The centered mass weight under the bow grip exceeds any leverage the weight of the accessories applies ensuring the bow always settles perfectly in the vertical plane resulting in a level sight bubble every time. In addition, the weight stack under the grip is customizable to allow the archer to customize the relation of mass weight of the bow to the respectable holding weight of the bow, however they desire.
View attachment 7599466

The limbs are wide and completely secured into machined limb pockets guaranteeing no movement or shifting at any time. At rest, the limbs have a nice gradual curve all the way to the tips that become beyond parallel when the bow is taken to full draw. This design of allowing the limbs to move beyond parallel at full draw ensures the energy stored in the limbs moves in the vertical plane away from the archer’s hand when shot ensuring minimal felt vibration and minimal forward jump at the shot yet still allows enough feedback to gauge shot response.

Moving into the cams you’ll notice the beefy oversized axle shafts capable of handling the stored energy without fear of bending. The cams offer shoot through cable design ensuring complete balance in the horizontal plane without torquing or twisting of the limb tips from rest to full draw and back to rest after the shot. Due to this completely balanced design, arrow selection is improved as a wider range of arrow stiffness will bare shaft and tune, without issue. The draw cycle is as smooth as they come. Hitting initial peak weight early on and then gradually tapering down to the appropriate holding weight.
View attachment 7599467 View attachment 7599468

Lastly are the strings. Gone are the days of buying a new premium bow only to have to replace the strings before shooting. The strings included with the bow are premium custom build quality using the best materials ensuring repeatability and consistency right out of the box.

In summary, the OK Archery X-Energy 39 is perfection from design to application. Many archery manufactures have produced products with perfect accuracy enhancing geometry characteristics yet failed to make it look appealing to the eye. Likewise, many archery companies have made archery products that look amazing to the eye, yet do not shoot well due to design flaws. OK Archery has bridged that gap by producing a bow that offers all the accuracy enhancing design concepts while still maintaining a look that is appealing to the archer.
View attachment 7599470 View attachment 7599471

Shoot one for yourself to see all the OK Archery company has to offer!
View attachment 7599472
I had never heard of this outfit before, but it looks like they are a German company, and that's usually a good thing. Did you order directly from them, or do they have US dealers?
Thanks.

· (aka lug nut)
54,880 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.