Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
177 5/8"
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The only difference between bows from 2009 and 2013 is four years and $500."

I have a buddy that's going to Montana with me this fall to chase elk on his very first bowhunting trip. He's on a tight budget and will be looking to outfit a full archery setup for around $500. I recommended the 2009 Elite GT500 to him, knowing that it's a solid bow with modern specs. Regardless of brand choice, I encouraged him to shop for used gear, as I see little additional benefit gained from spending the extra cash on the latest models. Basically, the new stuff is not improved enough to justify the added expense when considering pure function alone.

Just thought I'd throw this out for discussion, knowing that this idea is completely subjective. Tell me why I'm right or wrong.

·
XX78 User
4,890 Posts
I agree. I'm shooting bows from 07 and 08..They get the job done.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I would say you have a valid argument with some models. I have a 2010 Elite Z28 and caused me to sell my 2012 Mathews HeliM and a Hoyt Vector. Both were fantastic bows but never really lived up to the expectations my Z created. At 61.8 pounds and 28 inches it sends a 325 gr arrow down range at 280 ft per second. The back wall and forgiveness is as good or better than anything "new" I have shot. Just my opinion though :)

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
I agree as well. Even though I tend to get a new hunting bow every year, there are GREAT used bows out there in the $500 range.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re: "The only difference between bows from 2009 and 2013 is four years and $500."

Sure there are some great bows and packages for that.. but some of the new stuff it makes it a lot easier to tune your bow, make it more quiet, less weight, and of course we all want faster.. bit shoot what ever you are comfortable with and can afford...

I'll stick with my two Mathews.. wish I could afford the creed.. but these will do for me!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I've had the same Compound (Elite Energy) since 2006 and killed two bulls with it. I did buy a new bow this year though, a recurve. :shade:

If this is your friends first elk hunt, and assuming he buys a quality used bow, there will be a lot more important things for him to spend his money on, such as a good pack, boots, GPS etc.

BTW, the GT500 is an excellent recommendation.

·
Custom callmaker
3,469 Posts
Agreed. heck I shoot a 2004 and have yet to see the technological leaps that I can find value in.

Quieter? Nope.
Faster? Yes but not enough to worry about. Still archery.
Better built? Nope
Fancier design? yes,

Find a flagship bow from 2000 up and it will out shoot us all. I haven't noticed a great increase in scores on the course either so the idea of the new technology makes us better is a bag of stuff.
But for those that want the new toys go ahead! Keeps the choices coming when I do see the value :)

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
my 08 katera out shoots shot 09 AM 32 maxxis 31 and 35 and vector. now I have only one hunting bow 08 katera and a target bow 11 vantage pro

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Re: "The only difference between bows from 2009 and 2013 is four years and $500."

The GT500 is a great choice for him...I have bought, sold, and trade a number of bows without seeing any significant difference.

With that being said my favorite off the bunch I currently own is the 2010 gt500...and really no major difference between that and the Answer or Pure for me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought a used Diamond at a great deal and love it. My son picked up a 2010 Elite Z28 at an amazing deal and it's awesome as well. I look at it a lot like golf clubs. Every year the manufacturers have to come out with a "new and improved" product for marketing purposes. That new golf driver may claim to get you a yard or two more than last years and that new bow may be 2-3fps faster. For some guys having the latest and greatest is their passion and hobby and there certainly isn't anything wrong with that. Any money spent on something you love is money well spent. That also benefits guys like me though because their used (and usually in like new condition) equipment get put up for sale, often with upgrades already done for good prices and great deals can be found on very good equipment.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I am still shooting my 06 Allegience, an I bought it used in 07. I don't plan on upgrading for a long time! Unless you count the $40 recurve I started shooting last fall an upgrade. Not that I don't like looking at new bows, but there is a lot of other equipment out there that trips my trigger first.

·
Born yank raised south
16,839 Posts
I agree for the most part OP and think the only real improvement the last 5 years is that the speed bows have gotten more smooth for the speed.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Are they better? Yes. But thats subjective as well. If bows today are a little faster, a little quieter, and have a little less hand shock, then yes, they're better. Same can be said for many products we use and replace often. Computers, cell phones, TV's, golf clubs, automobiles......all of those items were still good 4 or 5 years ago, but what we have today, for the most part, is better. Its just the natural progression of engineering and technology. Doesn't mean a bow from any previous year can't get the job done, it can, just maybe not as efficiently.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I could care less what anybody else shoots, new, used, antique, bright, dull, just dont care. I do love my 2012 elite pulse as well as my 2007 diamond liberty. Both killer bows in my eyes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I killed a Minnesota P&Y this past year with a 1995 Alpine Oak Ridge Hunter. The deer weighted 250+. There are no levels of Death. Dead is Dead.

·
Sultan of Smack
5,661 Posts
I still have my old '07 Dren, although it is a backup. I shot a few arrows through it awhile back, setting it up for my son. I forgot how nice that bow shoots. Not a lot of difference compared to today's offerings.

SCFox

1 - 20 of 52 Posts