Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot my last tournament of the season yesterday, with Stash and a few other assorted friends. During the course of the day I related my backyard shooting adventure from Saturday evening.

I hadn't flung many arrows in the past several weeks, so I figured I needed to get a session in on Saturday prior to the tournament on Sunday. I shoot primarily in my backyard. I live in a rural area and can easily shoot +70m in my own yard. Anyway, I had my target bale set out at about 50yds. Earlier in the week I had cut the grass, and as a result had jockeyed around my young daughters swing set and plastic house.... you know the type. The house now sat about 5 feet away from my target, at about the same distance. As I settled in for my first shot I distinctly remember " don't shoot the house" running through my mind. Well wouldn't you know it, For the first time in as long as I can remember, I chicken winged the shot....... and hit the plastic house dead center............ a mere 5 ft off target. Laughed my butt off for a moment or two...... until the realization, of the fact that I was going to have to explain to my 4 yr old why Daddy shot her house, set in.

I finished shooting a few rounds before heading in...... gathering up my courage.

Honey, Daddy shot your house.....

You shot the house?????????

Noooooooooo, I shot YOUR house........

You shot.......MY house????!!!!!!!!!!

MOOOOOMMMMMMM, DADDY SHOT MY HOUSE!!!!!!!!

We have since worked out a reconciliation schedule that includes an immediate increase in her allowance, t.v. rights, a new tent, and unspecified punitive damages which will be collected at a later date.

Upon my relating the story to my shooting group on Sunday, I got the expected good natured ribbing. But then Stash brought up a point..... if I could miss a target by that much, being a decent shot (his words) how safe was it for an archer to be shooting in their backyards, more specifically those not in rural settings. In my case if I miss, and the arrow clears my boundry lines, the worst I can do is kill a stalk of corn. But Stash's comments got me to think ing about those who shoot in more urban settings.

Any thoughts or stories?????

Dennis

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
hmm, sounds familiar. Don't miss this shot! DAMN!! Don't punch the release! WHOOPS!!

LESSON TO BE LEARNED -ALWAYS THINK WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, not what you don't want to to. Get the bad stuff out.

·
Occam's Razor
9,096 Posts
That's why you should not shoot in urban area's unless the arrow cannot get out, backstop, overhead stop, left and right stops, in other words, enclosed........or batter boards to keep it in........

<--------------------<<<< "CK" >>>>-------------------->

·
Registered
184 Posts
personaly, i would try to locate the play house a safe distance away from my shooting lane. if you can miss by 5 feet (and anybody can)and hit it......my concern is that if you may some day go out there absent minded and start fling arrows unaware there are kids in the play house......don't get me wronge, i am sure you are very consious of safity when shooting but you know how it is: you can missplace your kids for a while and then go shoot.....
i hope your careful....thats all.......stuff happens

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Terry,

I'm sure your comments were well intended. However, please understand that I never shoot with my child outside...... my rule..... which is strickly enforced by my wife.

Never gonna happen.

Dennis

G

·
GREY BEARD...

...I'm with piSTASHio on this one...after hearing that story and knowing STASHquatch is Mr. Safety...

...I have relegated myself to the thought that...

...ARCHERY CAN BE DANGEROUS AND I'M QUITTING...

...before someone in my Family or my CORN stalks gets hurt...

>>>---DD--->;)

PS...I have tons of equipment for sale...PM me if your interested...

PSS...also made me think about FARMING CAN BE DANGEROUS AND I'M QUITTING THAT TOO...

PSSS...and DRIVING CAN BE DANGEROUS AND I'M QUITTING THAT...

PSSSS...WALKING CAN BE DANGEROUS AND I'M QUITTING THAT...

PSSSSS...and now I think...THE AIR CAN BE DANGEROUS TO BREATHE SO I'M QUITTING THAT AS WELL!!...

PSSSSSS...hell's bell's...I QUIT EVERYTHING...LIFE IS WAY TOO DANGEROUS:rolleyes: ...:p ...:D ...

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doubled down on green.........

I hear ya, man I ate vegetables once, chocked on a snow pea, damn near died...... came to the conclusion that vegetables kill, ain't ate once since.

Dennis

Psst.... If you ever stood around Stash when he was experimenting with bow stuff you wouldn't be calling him Mr. Safety. Those of us in the know, know how far back to stand :)

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had a shot go bad in my basement and I thought I hit the gas main because there was instantly a giant ball of gas erupting from the area of the missed shot. Just as I was about to yell run for you lives I realized that I hit the water main. I was actualy glad to find out I hit the water main.

G

·
GREY LADY...

...yeah...I bet that is the case too(man I cant believe I just said case:( )...I can just see ol STASHquatch yanking on his bow!!:D ...

...heck...most of us will face death or injury at a MUCH HIGHER rate when we drive to work in the morning...so a little arrow dodging shouldn't be that big of deal;) ...

...I mean after all...Ted Kennedy's car has KILLED more people than "any" of our arrows I bet!!...

...you are correct...watch out for them "veggies"...they'll either kill ya or cure ya!!;) ...lol...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Dennis dennis :D
you did it all wrong;)
You shoulda explained to your daughter that daddy put a new ventalation hole in her house :D or a peep hole that she can look out :D
and ya beeter watch out if ya shoot any corn it must be shot in season:D
later pal
Ken

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
I got into archery because my girlfriend at the time and her family were heavily involved in shooting.

Her brother and I were shooting at 90m at her folk's farm when their super unlucky yellow lab came running out in front of the target butt right when I loosed an arrow. This is back in the day of sub 200 ft/sec. compounds. The dog looked right at the whistling sound coming his way and the arrow took him right in the open mounth and exited his cheek. It wasn't a total pass through and he took off HOWLING with the arrow hanging out of the side of his mounth. He managed to get it out himself and never came near the archery range again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Great story Dennis, I am sure you will make it up to your daughter.

i got a story, not exactly archery but kind of funny and sort of scary, here goes,

I use to work in a gun shop, well there was this local IPSC shooter who told me of this big mistake he made, the day before he and his buddies were to go to the range he was busy making ammo for his 44 mag, little did he know he left one in the cylinder , i guess he was checking to see if they fit etc,

Now the next evening he is all excited to go shooting , he runs down stairs grabs all his shooting gear and grabs his revolver, for kicks he grabs the gun , takes aim at an electrical socket accross the basement and pulls the trigger thinking it was going to be a dryfire, and BANG !!! perfect shot!!!

Another popular one is the number of guys who have accidently shot the measuring arrow in the archery shop, you can tell the guy not to do it and then POW he lets the thing go, so now when the guys start to pull back their bow with that arrow I tell them to pick out something expensive at least to aim at!!

·
washed up wannabe
12,235 Posts
Watched a well respected IPSC gun builder have a pistol go full auto on him when shooting into his bullet trap. He was so surprised he stitched the garage door and shot his own truck outside the shop [ :rolleyes: ]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Friend #2 was shooting at friend #1's house a couple of years ago (fairly rural area). Friend #2 was pulling his bow back when he touched the trigger. The arrow went over the target, about 150yrs right into friend #1's sister above ground pool. Luckily noone was swimming at the time. It did spring a nice little leak though...

·
Registered
94 Posts
the perils of backyard shooting

I live just north of downtown Seattle, and have a large church across the alley from me.. Well, Avid 3d and diverdwayne are
beginner shooters (3 years ago) and we still sky our bows, but Avid3d is shootin 60 plus pounds and he really pulls high.
Now we are shooting from my back door ,across the garden and into my garage to the back of the garage to the big "block" at a multi color target with a x ring the size of a dime.........Sooooo,
there is a hole in the roof trim of the garage, ten feet above the line of fire to the target, and if it had hit 1 foot higher it would have hit a little window in the church.. I think that would have caused a problem, but my neighbors are great and don't complain about my shootin..three cheers for good neighbors !!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
over the top

I use to pull the bow up high then drop down to draw it. from time to time i would missfire the thing. So though I thought I could be careful it was ineveitable.

I pulled up then down drawing the bow back and hit myself in the face the arrow was pointed up. I lived in town and was shooting in the direction of the other houses in the row but shooting at the garage as a back stop. Well, I shot that arrow over the garage and surely hit someone else's back yard or maybe his garage but I don't know who it was because Immediately put he bow on it's hanger and innocently whistled for a week or 2 and I NEVER looked for the arrow.

I don't know if anyone found the thing or not because no one ever said anything .

Well, I went back to shooting but pulling directly back from the target into my anchor. I also placed the target in the corner or the yard facing the other way which made the angle of aproact to the interstate about 30 degrees or so which if you saw the range it was seemingly almost parallel to the interstate,but even though i lived next to the interstate the distance to actually shoot to it was about
120 - 150 yards. I was shooting 50 yds one day and had another misfire but since i was pulling directly away from the target I actually hit the target ... a glancing blow off the top of the bag and then a glancing blow off the fence which elevated the arrow and it ended up 5 feet from the shoulder of the interstate and this happened during rush hour. I immediately retrieved that arrow..

I live on 6 acres now in the country

:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts