Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
shhhh.. slow down
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a buck I passed this year with my bow. I assumed him to be young judging largely from his rack and a recent trail cam picture.

Looking back he seems to be a mature buck that came down hill fast as far as antler size. I think he is 5.5+

No Pics in 2013

The date is obviously wrong in the last pic but was taken a few days prior to me letting him pass at 23 yards.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here is a buck I passed this year with my bow. I assumed him to be young judging largely from his rack and a recent trail cam picture.

Looking back he seems to be a mature buck that came down hill fast as far as antler size. I think he is 5.5+

No Pics in 2013

The date is obviously wrong in the last pic but was taken a few days prior to me letting him pass at 23 yards.
Look at his belly in the second pic, he's def older. Not sure what year that pic was taken but I don't think his horns/body are gonna get any bigger..

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Thats pretty cool history. By no means is his body size small but I am surprised that he doesn't have a swayed back and more blocky body. Now get out there and shoot that mature buck!

·
shhhh.. slow down
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The second pic was 2011 so if he was 3 then we would be 6 this year. I definitely dont think he will get bigger. We have had a couple long rough winters and I think he just took them hard.

I had him at 23 yards and thought I was passing a 2 yo then when I go home I started to put the pics together, yeah old buck. The rough part is I was being real selective because I already killed a buck and mount every buck I shoot so I wasnt about to shoot a young buck. If I had known then what I do know he would be at the taxi and in the freezer for sure.

·
shhhh.. slow down
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really cool history.
Just curious,how many acres and how much surrounding pressure?
The property I hunt is only 40. Surrounding pressure is moderate. Some bucks get killed at 2.5, more at 3.5 and some make it to their prime.

·
Shoot straight!
3,620 Posts
Just got back from the taxy yesterday and he said that the age to size was way down for the wis bucks that he got in. Most likely due to the extremely harsh and long winter.

·
shhhh.. slow down
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got back from the taxy yesterday and he said that the age to size was way down for the wis bucks that he got in. Most likely due to the extremely harsh and long winter.
I agree with this/

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Maybe he will get better conditions and come back bigger next year. There might be a reason you passed him. Maybe it will pay off.

·
Shoot straight!
3,620 Posts
I agree with this/
On the flip side. I know of a 12 year old that was killed this year that was as healthy looking as any 5or6 year old. Was 200+ lbs. And deffinately did not seem to be going down hill as far as his rack.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'd say the last pics are a 3 1/2 yr old of the one in the first pics. Same rack structure, a little tighter but a 7 point instead of a 9

·
shhhh.. slow down
9,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd say the last pics are a 3 1/2 yr old of the one in the first pics. Same rack structure, a little tighter but a 7 point instead of a 9

Not sure what you mean. Do you think they are all the same buck?

·
Feedn The Geese
12,293 Posts
He could come back, at that age they put everything nutrition wise into antler, the skeleton is done.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts