Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something happened to me last night that I'm trying to figure out the reason behind. In December I got back into archery after a long time. Since then I haven't gotten better past a point because I'm been doing a lot of switching around. Switching around techniques, fixing bad form and things I always shot with, switching equipment, figuring out if I want to shoot fingers or release, trying different finger styles ect. So I haven't gotten much better and really settled in yet. This week I finally got a new bow, one that actually fits me.

Anyway I have since I started back into archery been shooting on regular 1 spot targets. And am not very consistent yet and not doing great. I was practicing yesterday and after a bunch of people left and the line cleared out I moved to a different lane next to a friend. There was a 5-spot in that lane so since it was there I just shot on that which I've never shot on before. I didn't do great as far as good shooting is concerned. But I was consistently getting 4 arrows on the spots just about every time. Which is closer to the center than I get a lot of the time on a regular target. So I was consistently shooting better on the 5-spot. I was just trying to figure out the reason behind it and can't quite put my finger on it. Is it something psychological? Can I see it better for some reason since I'm shooting pins and not a scope? I just thought it was interesting, couldn't quite figure it out and was wondering if someone else has ever had a similar experience?

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Something happened to me last night that I'm trying to figure out the reason behind. In December I got back into archery after a long time. Since then I haven't gotten better past a point because I'm been doing a lot of switching around. Switching around techniques, fixing bad form and things I always shot with, switching equipment, figuring out if I want to shoot fingers or release, trying different finger styles ect. So I haven't gotten much better and really settled in yet. This week I finally got a new bow, one that actually fits me.

Anyway I have since I started back into archery been shooting on regular 1 spot targets. And am not very consistent yet and not doing great. I was practicing yesterday and after a bunch of people left and the line cleared out I moved to a different lane next to a friend. There was a 5-spot in that lane so since it was there I just shot on that which I've never shot on before. I didn't do great as far as good shooting is concerned. But I was consistently getting 4 arrows on the spots just about every time. Which is closer to the center than I get a lot of the time on a regular target. So I was consistently shooting better on the 5-spot. I was just trying to figure out the reason behind it and can't quite put my finger on it. Is it something psychological? Can I see it better for some reason since I'm shooting pins and not a scope? I just thought it was interesting, couldn't quite figure it out and was wondering if someone else has ever had a similar experience?

Well my guess would be that since the five spot version appears to be a smaller target, you are probably bearing down on it more and concentrating more on the center.

It seems that this is the opposite of what a lot of guys I shoot with experience. I see a lot of guys that can shoot really well on the single spot and cant hit the five spot at all. It "freaks" them out if you will.

Keep concentrating on the x and you'll help your game out.

· Registered
11,635 Posts
1.) Nerves. Shooting alone or by a friend is much easier than when others are around.
2.) Aim small, miss small. As Xswanted said, you might be concentrating more on each target as apposed to one spot on a big peice of paper.
Keep it up!

Lien2

· Registered
1,878 Posts
All targets have the power to draw your attention away from good shot execution(shooting with good tension through the entire shot)
Some are more distraction than others

If you can keep your form up --and shoot as if there were no spots ---your game will get better

Don't sacrifice tension for aiming -----or the shot is no good ---reguardless of what score it might achieve

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
1.) Nerves. Shooting alone or by a friend is much easier than when others are around.
2.)you might be concentrating more on each target as apposed to one spot on a big peice of paper.
That's kind of what I was thinking. On a regular target there is so much blue around the center on a big piece of paper maybe it's distracting in a way.

· Arrow-minded Conservative
3,308 Posts
Just a guess

You may have been more relaxed.

When shooting your regular 1 spot, you might be stressing over every little thing, and that may be affecting your accuracy.

When you went to the 5 spot, you may have been stress-free because it's new, it's not your thing, you're just trying it, you have no expectations so there's no chance of failure, etc, etc, etc.

"Just shooting" with a clear mind may be the difference.

(But I'm no psychologist and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.)

· Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 5 spot gives you the same sight picture each time. No arrow clutter.

RT
That is true. As of so far though I don't have much trouble with arrow clutter.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.