Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be purchasing a new bow in the next couple weeks, I am a 31" Draw and am trying to decide between a 50-60lbs Draw or a 60-70lbs Draw. Idealy I would like to shoot around 65 lbs. Any opinions which way I should go?

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
What can you comfortably pull now? If less than 60#, then check the specs on your new bow. Some will turn down farther than others.

If you are actually able to shoot 65, then you will want the 70# bow. But if you cannot comfortably draw 60# yet, then you might be better off with the 50-60# limbs that you can swap out later on. Pulling too much weight can cause bad habits and injury.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
What can you comfortably pull now? If less than 60#, then check the specs on your new bow. Some will turn down farther than others.

If you are actually able to shoot 65, then you will want the 70# bow. But if you cannot comfortably draw 60# yet, then you might be better off with the 50-60# limbs that you cna swap out later on. Pulling too much weight can cause bad habits and injury.
What she said

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
I am going to be purchasing a new bow in the next couple weeks, I am a 31" Draw and am trying to decide between a 50-60lbs Draw or a 60-70lbs Draw. Idealy I would like to shoot around 65 lbs. Any opinions which way I should go?
.....What brand name of bow??...Martins bows come with 15# of weight adjustment, so a 50#-65# draw weight might be what You are looking for....I have heard, but not confirmed, that Hoyt will sell You a bow that will end up at odd weight ranges maxed out, such as 55#, or 65#...Give them a call, if Your looking at a Hoyt...Hope this helps...Harperman

·
Registered
98 Posts
I struggled with that too... I figured that I am get'n to an age where the bones dont like to bend like they used too so I went with the 60#. I know the resale will not be as good as a 70, but I am not get'n her to sell her. which I am sure, she will kill just as good as a 70# would. With the benifit of an easy draw. Good luck

·
Registered
482 Posts
One thing to consider is that you will have plenty of KE for hunting @ 60 #, due to your 31" DL.

... but , if you can draw 70# easily and shoot daily, why not go ahead and boost KE and or shoot a heavier arrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts