Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make one location to find dripper info...

Please post any experiences you have had with specific drippers and sense. Any problems you have experienced and other useful information.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want you guys to give me your suggestions for the best scrape dripper along with a scent you suggest. I'm going to hang the dripper in the next week or so and leave it out most likely through archery season which ends in mid-november. I'm watching two 14 pointers and a 12 pointer which I plan to bring in with this setup.

I do have some of the orange plastic tinks drippers but I have a hard time believing at they heat up and work properly when compared to a bag/tube Style, correct?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Scott, the best I've used are the Magnum Drippers by wildlife research. They have worked here in PA and on my leases in Ohio and Illinois without fail. I will tell you the dripper is only half of the equation, the licking branch with pre orbital scent is the other and arguably even more important. I use Paul Pollicks scent for both. He now has the pre orbital in gel form that I apply every 2 weeks. I start mine the first week of September and will have bucks and does working them all year. And not just dinks- you'll have to trust me on this :)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott, the best I've used are the Magnum Drippers by wildlife research....I use Paul Pollicks scent for both. He now has the pre orbital in gel form that I apply every 2 weeks.
good info there! Never heard of Pauls scents

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
i never had any luck with drippers, but i've used paul pollacks preorbital gland spray for a few years now and have had great results with it. that's the only scent-type product i use anymore. it's the only one i've had consistently work. speaking of which.. i need to order some :)

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you guys like the preorbital better than estrous or buck urine? Do you only apply it in scrape scenarios or do you spray/wipe it like you would an estrous?

lastly, is the store bought stuff any good? mainly speaking to the scrape oriented store bought stuff like Tinks PoweScrape for example..... I hve had luck with Tinks Hot Shot #69....but thats the only scent ive ever had success with.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
i think theyre saying you use the preorbital scent for the licking branch and normal doe estrous stuff for the dripper

·
Registered
550 Posts
As boilers said. The pre orbital is applied to the licking branch. When deer are working the licking branch they are applying scent from there pre orbital glands as a marker to let other bucks know that "I am here." They do the same when rubbing trees leaving the pre orbital scent as they make their rubs. I am going to try making a mock rub this year using the pre orbital in the area of my scrape as another sign post to irritate mature bucks.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should i buy the Magnum Scrape dripper on its own or get the package that comes with active-scrape/golden-scrape juice?

·
Registered
550 Posts
It's up to you. I like Pollicks because I know it's fresh as opposed to packaged and stored. Plus, I am ordering pre orbital scent so I just order my scent for the dripper at the same time.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I wanted to also mention, once my camera has captured bucks using the scrape regularly my job is done. Having them take it over is the objective in the end.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanted to also mention, once my camera has captured bucks using the scrape regularly my job is done. Having them take it over is the objective in the end.
so once you have some regular action, you leave it alone and stop refilling the dripper? I would think even after they start using it that refills would help things because they would want to findout whats leaving the scent and check more often....

·
Registered
550 Posts
so once you have some regular action, you leave it alone and stop refilling the dripper? I would think even after they start using it that refills would help things because they would want to findout whats leaving the scent and check more often....
More than one buck will be using the scrape. So they will be constantly checking. Last year I had 6 different bucks from 1.5 to 3.5 using my scrape. However, when the 5 year old I was hunting stared hitting the scrape they all stopped using it. They all knew was the man and wanted no part of tangling with him. Their social behavior and hierarchy is really awesome to watch at a scrape.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
very cool!

Anyone else have recommendations for scent inside the dripper itself?

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
imo, forget the dripper. or any urine scent in the scrape itself. just make a mock scrape with a good licking branch and spray the preorbital on it (the branch). you can piss in the scrape yourself, that works well too.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts