Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of folks helped me make my decision. I was looking for a light-weight bow. At first I thought I wanted flagship bow, but when I saw and heard all the good stuff about a Diamond Carbon Knockout, I knew my search was over. And it cost a good bit less than a flagship bow.

Just ordered a Knockout from Lancaster. It's 30-40#, RH, Mossy Oak Break-Up Country color scheme. It's supposed to be lighter (3.2#) than my Diamond Edge SB-1 (3.6# bare, 4.2# loaded) so it'll be a lot easier on my shoulder to hold it up.

I have another bow, a Mathews Avail (3.96# bare, 4.8# loaded) that I really like to shoot, but after shooting it 4 or 5 times, I struggle to hold it up easily and my groups open up.

The SB-1 weighs 4.2# loaded and I can really feel the difference the 0.6 pounds makes when I get the bow up, drawn and am aiming it - when compared to the Avail.

So, now I wait. I'll let you all know when I get it and what I think of it.

I'll probably sell my two heavier bows, the 2016 Elite Synergy and 2016 Mathews Halon 6 in the future.

Bobby.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great choice for what you want. Really, the only way to go lighter is a stick bow.
Oh, I know. My lightest stick bow is a 25# Bodnik Slick Stick. I really enjoy all my lighter longbows: the 25# and 29# Slick Sticks and the 30# A&H.

While the longbows are a ton of fun, I'm not nearly as accurate with them as I am with any one of my compounds.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't hit the broadside of a barn with a stick bow.
Either got a really BIG barn or maybe, lay off the bourbon :) :) :)

With my stick bows I like to shoot from 10-20 yards away and while I don't always hit just where I'm aiming, I do often come pretty close (and I rarely miss the whole target). If you were to graph my stick bow groups, it would look like a bell curve. Early on, while I'll gettin it together, my groups are not real close (maybe around 6-7 inches). And I get better and the groups get tighter (say around 2-3 inches). And then I start getting tired and the groups open back out (just hope to stay on the bag target). It's always that way with me. Probably because i shot so many stick bows of different poundages. I guess if I got one and stuck to it, I'd get good with it.

But the problem is - I just enjoy shooting, and I don't really care how many robin hoods I can shoot - Lord, I hate them things.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I can't hit the broadside of a barn with a stick bow.
Trick is to shoot from inside the barn; otherwise I'd say the same of myself.

OP: good luck with your new bow. You'll definitely notice the weight difference from a Halon! Nice when something a little more budget-friendly turns out to be your taste - makes it a little cheaper to keep playing and there's some satisfaction in keeping up with the guys shooting the latest and greatest at leagues.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trick is to shoot from inside the barn; otherwise I'd say the same of myself.

OP: good luck with your new bow. You'll definitely notice the weight difference from a Halon! Nice when something a little more budget-friendly turns out to be your taste - makes it a little cheaper to keep playing and there's some satisfaction in keeping up with the guys shooting the latest and greatest at leagues.
Thanks, Malcolm. I think I'm going to like the Knockout, I sure like my SB-1. But oh, how I wish my Mathews Avail weighed in at 3.2#, I'd be in heaven.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A lot of folks helped me make my decision. I was looking for a light-weight bow. At first I thought I wanted flagship bow, but when I saw and heard all the good stuff about a Diamond Carbon Knockout, I knew my search was over. And it cost a good bit less than a flagship bow.

Just ordered a Knockout from Lancaster. It's 30-40#, RH, Mossy Oak Break-Up Country color scheme. It's supposed to be lighter (3.2#) than my Diamond Edge SB-1 (3.6# bare, 4.2# loaded) so it'll be a lot easier on my shoulder to hold it up.

I have another bow, a Mathews Avail (3.96# bare, 4.8# loaded) that I really like to shoot, but after shooting it 4 or 5 times, I struggle to hold it up easily and my groups open up.

The SB-1 weighs 4.2# loaded and I can really feel the difference the 0.6 pounds makes when I get the bow up, drawn and am aiming it - when compared to the Avail.

So, now I wait. I'll let you all know when I get it and what I think of it.

I'll probably sell my two heavier bows, the 2016 Elite Synergy and 2016 Mathews Halon 6 in the future.

Bobby.
What do you think of the knockout? Would you recommend it?

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
Good luck. I hope it is what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you use it for hunting? Is there anything that you would recommend changing on it? Someone mentioned they had to change the site.
I don't hunt with a bow, but I wouldn't hesitate taking it hunting if I did. Not sure what you were asking about the site (did you mean sight?), I put on a Spot Hogg, sight, as I always do. It grouped arrows well and is accurate. I also put on a Hamskea limb driven drop away rest. Nothing, as far as I know, was wrong with what came on the bow, I habitually change them out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts