Archery Talk Forum banner

the story behind the kill

3258 48
first and foremost id like to send a special thank you to david aka trophyhill for inviting my son and myself to his camp and hunting area and showing us around. I had a great time hunting with him and plan to see him next weekend.

the evening before I shot this bull my son and I went into some dark timber and still hunted in there. meanwhile david hunted across from us on the rim of a canyon. he had gotten some responses from some cows and calf. later that night back at camp we made a plan to go back in and set Cameron up for a shot possibly. the next morning we were heading into the area. I told david I had a feeling that if I went back into where I was the evening before I would get into the elk. david said go for it, trust your gut. I asked if he minded if Cameron went with him, since he didn't want to come with me. david had no problem with that. they dropped me off and said to meet back at noon.

so off to the trail head I went. as soon as I got on top of the ridge I found fresh signs of elk. I skirted around some meadows and made my way to a trail leading into some dark timber. the signs looked promising. I went about 100yds into the timber found more fresh sign. I decided to let out a location bugle, about 20-30 seconds later I let out some quite chuckles. it wasn't a minute later I saw movement coming from my left. I saw antlers counted four points and went to full draw while I had time. the only opening I had I estimated to be 40yds. the bull was heading right into the gap in front of me. he walked right in but stopped and stared right at me I settled my 40yd pin right inside the >. he was quartering to me. I released and the bull didn't move until the arrow entered his ribs. the bull spun around and I saw the gash in his side. he bolted out of the area. I waited for about 10 min to try and find my arrow. I walked down into the area and up a little ridge and I saw his antlers sticking up in the grass. he was down.

during my draw, aim, release my nerves solid but after the shot I was shacking. I was pumped. I had called in my first bull and put down my first bull in 15min. im still pretty excited, the bull isn't the biggest but hes my first elk and im happy

again thank you david for the experience.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Smilin' Bob
Congrats Elk Killer!

Registered
awesome congrats

id rather be hunting
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
side note, the shot was only 30yds not 40, you can see in the pic the shot was high, but I punched one lung for sure, got the stomach and my broad head was stuck in his hind quarter. I managed to get the arrow out intact.

Lacking Gravitas
side note, the shot was only 30yds not 40, you can see in the pic the shot was high, but I punched one lung for sure, got the stomach and my broad head was stuck in his hind quarter. I managed to get the arrow out intact.
I've done that before - went through the stomach and hit hind leg - when the bull stepped forward just as I shot. I suspect you hit a femoral artery or something in that hind leg.

I like shiny stuff.
Congratulations man, you deserve that one. Hope all is well with everyone, I'm sure we will talk again soon.

Beast Mode Road Hunter.
If they ain't over 100, back up.

No Hype, Just Hunt
Great job, looks like a good one to me.

id rather be hunting
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Flesh Rock

heres a pic of the G5 striker. the arrow was buried, I could even find the nock until I removed the hide

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.