Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to tell you the story of a buck me & my dad called "brokeback"

First a little bit a background, I killed my first deer when i was six (it was a spike) And up until about the age of 9-10 i shot everything i saw. Most hunters/friends in the area had started calling me "Spike", Because of the fact that my first seven deer

had always been that.. Spikes. Around the age of 11-12 i really started trying to get a decent buck seeing as everything up until then does/little bucks (basket racks). Me and my dad first got into this new lease on the 09-10 season (i was 13), we had

never had a lease like this before, we saw deer for the most part every time we went (which does not happen to much in the county we live/hunt in). We were going hunting one evening when my dad wanted to hunt close to me, I really did not want

him to so i told him "to go hunt on a part of the property that we never hunted" just to try to get him away from me (the part he was hunting was in a creek bottom that was bordered by a small clear cut). Later that evening I heard him shoot (gun

hunting) i was honestly shocked that he actually killed something. It ended up being a 150" 10 point (his largest buck to date).

Later in the season I decided to put a stand up on the edge of that clear cut. One morning (during the rut) I decided I might as well sit there because I had not seen anything at my other stands in a while. While sitting there about 45 minutes after

dawn i saw this group up 5 does which was a pretty popular group that many hunters in the area saw a good amount. About 20 minutes after that the does got a little jumpy. Then the bucks started showing up i ended up seeing around 5 bucks that

morning (all decent 8 points, 1 small 10. They would have all been my best bucks to date but they were still young and i was looking for something a little different). I continued to hunt that stand for a good bit that season and saw the same few bucks

a couple of times but nothing i really wanted to shoot.

Then came late season (mid January), I had a friend that had never hunted before and he was pretty interested in it. So i invited him to spend the night/go hunting the next day with me. We decided we would hunt a tower stand of our that overlooked

a food plot. We also decided that we would put out a decoy that we hardly ever used. About 15 minutes after getting into the stand my friend said "There is a deer, There is a deer!", about this time i look over and i see this buck which i have never seen

before coming from a direction i was not expecting. I got my gun up and got ready to shoot, but then the deer looked at the decoy and blew and ran behind us. I had to take an offhand shot and during the adrenaline moment i failed to see a vine about

the diameter of a coke bottle. The bullet hit the deer and he went down. My friend instantly wanted to get down and go see the deer (we could see him laying there and really just wanted to go check him out), But i told my friend "no" because my dad

had always taught me that after i shoot a deer i "should wait a little and let everything calm down and to give the deer some time". During this waiting period we took our phones out to text some people letting them know about the deer. When we

looked back up we saw the buck get up and run off before i could get my gun back on him. We then got down and went and got my dad and told him what happened. We looked for the deer for 2 days (brought in 8 different blood dogs) and never fount

anymore blood except for on trees he bumped up against. We assumed he laid down and died somewhere.

During the next summer, we put up a trail camera in the clear cut area and when we checked it we got these pictures:

It was Brokeback, me and my dad were ecstatic. During the summer we got several pictures of this guy and got to watch him grow (such a neat experience). Then comes bow season for the 10-11 season. I tried setting up everywhere i could around the

clear cut but i never saw Brokeback. Then comes muzzle loader season, during this time of the year youth in Georgia were allowed to use a rifle during muzzle loader season. On the first day of muzzle loader season i was going to take one of my friends

with me and let him set up with my dad and for him to try and get his first bow kill (different friend then earlier). It was a pretty dull night i had seen no deer, Then about 15 minutes before shooting light would be gone i got a text from my friend saying

"I got one! I made a bad shot though so me and your dad are going to wait for a few then get down and go look." I was pretty happy at this moment seeing as i was part of my friends first bow kill. About the time i put the phone in my pocket i heard

that ever familiar sound of leaves crunching. Something was coming in from behind me, When the animal finally emerged where i could see it i saw a rack sticking up. I was nearly 100% positive that this buck was Brokeback. The thing is i had to wait for

this deer to get around to the other side of me for him to get into the area where i would be able to attempt a shot on him. It seemed like it took hours for him to reach that point... But he finally did and i put the sights on him and pressed the trigger. At

that point he hit the ground. I got down and inspected him... It was Brokeback! I was ecstatic, Not only did i get my first awesome buck but i was able to share this hunt with my 2 friends that were apart of it and my dad. I then sent text my friend and

my dad telling them that "i got a deer". I then walked down the logging road and met up with them as they were coming back from where they were hunting. As we drove to the clear cut and the lights of the truck hit the buck their reactions were part

of the reason that made this hunt so enjoyable.

Thus ended the story of "BrokeBack"... But is the nights story over yet? No it is not. We ended up finding my friends deer after a 4 mile trek and getting turned around several times.

Not only will i remember this hunt for the rest of my life because of the way it turned out (Those 2 times my friends had ever gone hunting with me. I guess they are good luck charms), but because of the people i got to share it with.

Here are a few more pictures:

The buck my dad got a year before:

Over the 3 years that we were able hunt this property we were able to kill 3 nice bucks, That were all Within a 200 yard radius of that clear cut.

I realize that Brokeback wasn't the oldest deer (pretty young) but i didn't/don't care. He probably won't be one of my largest deer i ever kill but he will definitely be one of my most enjoyable.

I hope you enjoyed the read,
-Jacob

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Just so everyone knows... peeking to see what this thread is about does NOT make me gay! :wink:

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Same here. I could really have some fun with this thread. But I'll play nice. Great buck. Thanks for the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same here. I could really have some fun with this thread. But I'll play nice. Great buck. Thanks for the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
wish i would have new better when i was younger.... lol.

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,191 Posts

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,191 Posts
Great buck, I can see how it might be hard to "quit him."

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Was he bedding on that "mountain"...?? :wink:

Joe

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Great story, Jacob! Some nice GA bucks for sure.

David

1 - 20 of 22 Posts