Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you supplemental feed year round? If you do what kind of minerals do you use and do you see a dramatic boost and antler and body size? I'm thinking about trying to feed year around this year but I need to know what kind of mineral will be the best, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use a combo of 30-06 and Big & J. I like the granulated minerals. I've used blocks in the past but the black bears in my area will carry them off eventually. I put minerals out as soon as I can get in the woods in the spring. Bucks will hit them until they go hard horned then they have no interest in them. Bears love the big & j so I can scout for bears all summer long too. But overall, I can't say I've seen a big difference in antler or body growth. Kind of hard to compare. If there aren't good genetics in your area, you won't turn a 120 into a 160 on just minerals.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
For us in Michigan we can only use them when deer hunting is going on so we are limited when the deer really don't use them but they soak into the ground and come spring they dig a hole for them... I have used Trophy Rock, VMax, W.I. 30-06 and Lucky Buck over the years. The deer never found the W.I. 30.06 either of the ones they have had out, I found a guy on here years back that had the VMax and put in the same spot a couple years after trying the 30-06 and the deer hit hard dig a 2 ft hole but then he lost his place to keep his inventory and soon ran out, so I then tried the Trophy Rock and the deer would find it but it was still there come spring so I could have been ticketed for using Bait out of season so I went with Lucky Buck being it is a granulated type with the rain and snow it soaks in so by spring I can see deer visiting it since I have a game camera set up on the spot year round. Never had any bears really visit it. I look for it late time of the year when places are trying to sell off the stock and find deals on it when I do just have to sit on it till late September before I can use it so I only buy 2 or 3 of them put one out in Oct another in Nov and one at the end of Nov. And I am good for the following spring or so I hope. I wished the DNR here would change it so we could use "Minerals" year round but being there is no data / studies to prove it helps the deer with fawning to large body and of course antlers they have yet to allow it. So I use it and have seen it appears to help but again no science just what I have seen and the Does, Fawns & Buck's hit it and seems to be something they like. Being most minerals are not readily available in different parts of the US so it could help and from the sales of it one would think they do.

LFM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts