Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend Archery History was made at the Pennsylvania
Bowhunters Festival. The Ultimate Shootout!!!
TURBO NOCK and a compound bow with a sight against a conventional Fletch and a longbow , no sight.
This festival over the years has a lot of archery history and memories for me. The likes of Howard Hill, Fred Bear, Jennings,
and others have mingled here.
I first came here with my dad at age five and have a history here myself. This is my second year as a vendor with the TURBO NOCK.
My brother Barry usually attends with his leather stand , but was not feeling well and had his children and grandchildren help out.
Two of the grandchildren, My great nephews, Zachary Joseph, and James Hunter, Snook ages 9 a nd 10 decided to adopt my wife , Betty and myself as honoraray grandparents. and helped us out with our TURBO Booth.
Hunter snook just got a hand me down Darton Super Stick and an assortment of various brand carbons. I asked him if he wanted to shoot TURBOS and he gladly said yes. We cut all his shafts to length, set up a Tiger Tuff fallaway on his bow and put
a new sight pin on the bow. He went off to the practice range to shoot the bow in. About a half hour later He returned and gave me a thumbs up on the setup. I asked him to be the youngest member of TEAM TURBO and he accepted.
The first day of the show was not very good with the remains of the Hurricane passing through. The second day was nice and sunny and the crowds started early.
Hunter and Zachary were hanging around our stand early in the morning, while Betty and I were talking up the TURBOS.
I had to leave for a short "nature break"
When you enter the rest room at the festival you first notice a line of normal height urinals along the back wall, and then on the right wall away from the rest is a urinal that is mounted about 18 inches higher than the rest! One usually sees at least one urinal much lower for kids to use. This high urinal has been there for many years, and I always figured it was for very tall people.
Well this year I finally figured out what it was for!!!
The ones along the back wall are for sight shooters, and the high one is for the Traditional archers who do not need sights to aim.
As I left the rest room with this new found knowledge I bumped into Larry Wise. who was showing some new arrow shafts he had in his van. Larry was going to give a demo at the festival.
WoW archery ledgends still show up here. Larry and I have a lot in common. He is a teacher. I used to be a teacher. He shoots a Merlin. I shoot a Merlin. He is a world class Archer and a living piece of Archery History. Uhhh I shoot a Merlin.
Back to the story.
When I got back to the booth Hunter was gone and my wife was smiling at me. I asked her what happened while I was gone.
She told me that some archers had stopped and were asking questions, and Hunter invited them to go to the practice range
and he would Demo the TURBOS. He went and they followed.
I grabbed my bow and hastily headed for the range.
There was Hunter with about six adults behind him at the 15 yd range . He was nailing everything he aimed at. When he finished I Thanked him and asked the guys to come to the 30 to 40 yd range and I would shoot for them.
They followed. I picked a deer at 40yds who was facing me and the only shot was a front neck shot. This was easy for me because I could see the white paint on her neck, and shot
a nice tight group. I went and drew my arrows and returned to the shooting line. There was Hunter waiting for me. He said he was going to help me demo the TURBOs . He picked a Mountain lion at 30yds and adjusted his sight, which had no calibrations on it. His first shot was low and he moved his sight a little, the nxt three shots were a 10 and two 8s . We all just looked at him.
Then the Idea came . I asked Hunter if he would like to do some test shooting with his brother Zachary. and the rest is ARCHERY HISTORY

Attachments

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Shootout

Well Zachary and Hunter agreed to the shootout.
Zachary would shoot instinctive with his Colt Longbow and regular fletch arrows and Hunter would shoot his Darton and TURBOS. The target would be the Lion at 30 yds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shooting frienzy continued with no real winner , until Hunter shot one arrow at the Lion . He nipped its belly and the arrow continued on, hit the ground and became airborne again and finally hit the pig ten yards behind the lion.
I looked at him an declared the TURBO NOCK the winner. with that Howard Hill Shot. Hunter just smiled and told me that he really did not try to shoot both animals it was just luck!.
I told him when ever you shoot two animals with one arrow it is an official Howard Hill Shot . I then explained how I saw Howard shoot an arrow off of several wood posts here many years ago and that his shot was right in there with Hills.
He finally accepted that this shot would be the deciding factor
in the shootout with his brother. Zachary being the sportsman he is accepted defeat with a smile. As soon as we can get Zachary a lefty bow he is also going to be a TURBO shooter.

I first came here with my dad fifty years ago and now here I am with his Great grandchildren shootin at this festival!
It just does not get any better than this!!!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
thanks for sharing Nick Looks like a fun shoot!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Excellent story Nick!! Great looking pictures. It looks like both boys are developing excellemnt form and shooting style. I hope they have a continued interest in the sport of archery. Good luck, and keep helping to bring them up "Right", LOL. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts