Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just got back from Daves at Wyverns in NH. Real nice guy and super knowledgeable. I went with money in my pocket fully expecting to buy a Vent 150. He took it right out of the box and then I picked it up, wow, great balance, then I shouldered it, again, fit me perfectly. Then the sad part. I for the life of me could not cock that bad boy back. Man was I dejected. My problem is that I am short. I feel that I am strong, but evidently not strong enough for the 150. I could have put a cocking devise on but I rather not. Anyways it was a picturesque 7 hour roundtrip. And I must say just bs ing with Dave was worth the trip. Looks like for now I am sticking with my Tornado. Dejected in CT

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
Sorry! At least you got to make the trip and now you know. What did you try cocking it with, short sled, rope sled or rope cocker?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you used the long handle sled cocker it would reduce your pull by 50% and, make it rather easy. My pro-shop owner couldn't cock it with the direct pull sled either. Rex sent him one and no problem. Scorpyd should send them with every higher poundage xbow to avoid this from ever happening.jmo

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Shot the 165 3 hours Saturday. Could not cock it with the 50% reduction rope cocker sled. My buddy, 48 and built like a small gorrilla cocked it for the shooting session. That long cocking stroke kicked his butt though:) That speed does not come free. It's a smoker though ... 425 grain arrow 420 fps.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Wow and everone thinks crossbows are for the crippled ,, think again

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hmmm Parker Tornado 165 lb draw wt with a shorter draw works for you with the easy pull system? I'm surprised Dave didn't have the long handle sled for you to at least try out. He may have just lost out leaving you left wondering.
Moon was that the new 165?

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
It's new but not the new model. It would be cool for them to offer a one piece stock and a crank for old farts and the physically embarassed.

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
Of course I had one...it still would not have worked. it is too long a draw for shorter people. He did not want to go down in poundage as he wanted the speed the 150 offered. The 125lb is about the speed of the bow he is shooting now. You practically have to do chin ups to cock the bow with the long rope as it doubles the drawlenght you have to pull it back to cock it. Simply put, the Vent is not a bow for short people. I had one guy, with the long aid, hopping on one foot with the bow almost cocked and the T-handles under his chin because he simply could not pull it back that last few inches. The simple fact that with the short sled (the best way to cock it) you are pulling back all 150lbs and it is a long draw bow and requires strenght and the ability to stand up and pull the handles all the way up to your chest. If you use the long sled it is easier but you double the amount of distance you need to draw back the bow to cock it...
Wyvern

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, I wanted the 150 or nothing. Dave said the long cocker , being I am 5-3 it would not have helped.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Why didn't you try the 125lb, it shoots plenty fast at 370fps, also if your from Conn, my friends shop The Sportsman outpost is a dealer for Scorpyd you could have saved yourself the long trip. If your interested in shooting the 125lber come and see us. Mike the owner is great guy to deal with, with that being said so is Wyvern, saw him at the ATA, great guy. I know you said the 150 or nothing but sometimes you just have to face the facts and that is not everyone is created equall. I wish I could be a 31'' draw and pull back 80lbs but I am only pulling 60 and thats that. If you buy a scorpyd 125 or 100 you are still getting an awesome crossbow with great speed and you will kill anything that walks with that poundage and speed.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Even on a Telson 130 I cannot use a long cocker (I am 5-10 but 72) but the short cocker is really not a problem,if they come up with a cocking aid I will be getting a Vent,They are that good

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Bowmanmt sorry to hear that. A bow you struggle to cock is not good for the individual. I am 5'8" and have no trouble with the short handled sled cocker. I do have a crank cocker rigged for my vent but it is cumbersome.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. When i grow another 2 feet. I will look at the 150

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
yes, I offered the Parker crank too :)
Wyvern

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Of course I had one...it still would not have worked. it is too long a draw for shorter people. He did not want to go down in poundage as he wanted the speed the 150 offered. The 125lb is about the speed of the bow he is shooting now. You practically have to do chin ups to cock the bow with the long rope as it doubles the drawlenght you have to pull it back to cock it. Simply put, the Vent is not a bow for short people. I had one guy, with the long aid, hopping on one foot with the bow almost cocked and the T-handles under his chin because he simply could not pull it back that last few inches. The simple fact that with the short sled (the best way to cock it) you are pulling back all 150lbs and it is a long draw bow and requires strenght and the ability to stand up and pull the handles all the way up to your chest. If you use the long sled it is easier but you double the amount of distance you need to draw back the bow to cock it...
Wyvern
Thanks Dave. I was checking to hear the whole story. Now it's Scorpyds turn to work on customer solutions and, I'll make sure at least Rex knows about this post.
c-t

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
At 5'3" I considered the short rope cocker a real pain. Jim sent me the cocker with pulleys and I hated that too! I called Jim and to my embarrassment I was using it wrong. Not that I use the long rope cocker I find it pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
One of the trade offs with these long power stroke bows. They are fast but that comes at a price that some cannot pay and may not be aware off when dropping the change. I personally hate cranks and find anything over a 16 inch power stroke not fun with a rope cocker.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
So being able to break the stock down doesn't cure this issue?

bowman sorry it didn't work out for ya , guess that's why we need to handle em and get a feel for the ones we want... kinda like women ...lol

I had to cut 1 1/4" of the butt of my Excal to be more comfortable cocking it too ...

1 - 20 of 93 Posts