Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go through about 3-5 bows a year finding the one I want to hunt that season, done it for probably 10 years now :embara:
This year I been through a Bowtech, Ritual and both Hoyt Carbons and shot several othe rflagships on multiple occasions. Friday I picked up the VXR 31.5.
I can say without hesitation the VXR is going to be one of if not my favorite bows all-time, it's that good!
I have had the dozens of Mathews including the Chills, HTR's, Halons, Vertix, Traverse, etc. This bow is Mathews best to date in my opinion.
The grip is very good (that said I like the Elite, Hoyt, Bowtech and Prime better) but it is still manageable and somewhat repeatable. I will try the side-plates or a Chris Bee.
Draw cycle is nice, loads up early, pulls smooth and then let's you relax into the wall. Actually I wish it held weight a bit further, you almost have to ease up so as not to hit the wall too hard. All in all very nice, I am confused by guys saying it is stiff. I actually had to check mine because it felt too easy. I feel it runs a bit long, I am shooting it comfortably at 28" when usually I shoot 28.5".
I also felt a little bit of the "wobble" right when you reach full draw, but by adjusting the way I pull through the last 30% of the draw cycle it is all but gone.
Here is where it shines---I immediately noticed the bow aims and hold incredibly well, even when I make a mistake it seems to minimize the POI. I believe it may hold as well as any bow I have owned to date, and that is merely with an 8" Stinger/3oz. out front. I am tempted to run a straight 8", but I am intrigued how nice it would be with a back bar set-up. Time will tell.
The bow is super dead in hand and quiet, but we all knew that.
The Ambush Green is super well done, and one of my favorite looking finishes from anyone to date.
The bow just feels incredibly well done, like somebody actually really thought about everything during the engineering phase.
To me it is a more refined, better balancing, nicer shooting experience than even last years Traverse, and that is saying something.
VXR 31.5 gets my vote for the 2020 Bow of the Year.

·
Registered
Mathews MQ1,LX,VXR 31.5
327 Posts
Thanks for the review. I tried a 60# 28 1/2 “ draw. Only one they had setup. Normally a 29 and 70#. Felt good I’m sure a little long as per usual for Mathews. It did seem to come back a little too easy and quick to the wall ,making me feel the same as you did banging back too hard. Figured I was just so used to my 70# lb. plus bows I have now. Really liked the bow but felt myself dipping my nose a little to the string. I guess a nose button is a thought or a longer axle length I’m used to a little longer. Was a good read.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Loving my VXR28 so far.

Trying to get the rust off as I haven’t shot since the fall, but am really enjoying shooting this bow. It truly is a perfect hunting bow IMO.

Some talk about a “stiff” draw. I don’t see it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
So you think the switch weight mods draw easier than a standard cam traverse?

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Give it time....

The draw cycle is personal but the VXR and smooth don't belong in the same sentence imo. Once the honeymoon is over you will wish you had a smoother draw cycle. That slamming into the wall you're talking about is that hump and dump the switch weight cams are known for. Wait until you have to draw that green turd in 30° weather after sitting for hours. Lol

I thought the VXR had the worst draw cycle of any bow I've shot this year and the worst Mathews has ever had. I'm sure you can get used to it but it feels awful after shooting my Hoyt or Elite.

If you like it, that's all that matters. Congrats!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I shoot an Xpedition 29.75” 65 lbs and my buddy wanted me to try his VXR 26.5” 70 lbs. Man did I slam the back wall when I first drew it, I felt bad! I wasn’t ready for the second half of the draw to lighten up like it did. I did better on the second draw once I knew what to expect, and shot pretty good for a draw 3” too short for me.

Bow is dead in the hand... but maybe it’s just me, does anyone sense a mechanical feel to the shot, almost like I can feel or hear bearings turning. It’s quiet but I inspected the bow up and down, everything was tight. Maybe a lot of the new bows are like this, I don’t get around much.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Give it time....

The draw cycle is personal but the VXR and smooth don't belong in the same sentence imo. Once the honeymoon is over you will wish you had a smoother draw cycle. That slamming into the wall you're talking about is that hump and dump the switch weight cams are known for. Wait until you have to draw that green turd in 30° weather after sitting for hours. Lol

I thought the VXR had the worst draw cycle of any bow I've shot this year and the worst Mathews has ever had. I'm sure you can get used to it but it feels awful after shooting my Hoyt or Elite.

To be fair it is a very fast bow. 10-20 fps more that most hunting bows.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I have two VXR 28's and just bought a 31.5. If anyone begs for a longer ATA VXR they have not shot the 31.5. It is by far the best "all around, hunting, 3D, target bow" available tight now. I love the 28 but the 31.5 holds like a ROCK! I have 85% L/O mods in the 28's but am testing 80% in the 31.5 and it's REALLY nice....especially at my d/l of 26.5"

ATA 31.5" with a riser length of 28" :mg:

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Give it time....

Draw cycle and smoothness is THE MOST subjective aspect of a bow.

Love it when people try to put down other’s excitement. “Archers helping Archers”. LOL

·
Registered
139 Posts
I love my 31.5! I got mine last November and took several deer with it - I’m looking forward to September; I’ve got some freezer space to fill. I have no complaints with the bow at all.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Had one of the first VXRs my store got in stock. Paid for it over the phone and had to wait 2 months before I could fly home. Worth the wait and for a novice shooter I think the ability to group at 140 yards is mostly the bow. Stoked on the bow every time I shoot.

·
Registered
19,340 Posts
Give it time....

While I’m happy for you my friend, after buying one, my thoughts mirrored these to a T (‘crept for the turd part).
Fantastic bow, absent the horrible draw.

·
Registered
19,340 Posts
Love it when people try to put down other’s excitement. “Archers helping Archers”. LOL
At face value, it could be construed the way you took it, there’s historic jest involved here :wink:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Give it time....

I have yet to slam into the wall. I think smooth is a term that’ll vary from one to another, but to me it was plenty smooth.

Regardless, it has to be the best bow ever because the know-it-all guy who was full of himself at the bow shop told me so when I was getting mine set up. And “he would be the one to know”. Lol. Why is it I have to make an appointment because of Covid to get my bow set up and I STILL manage to run into these types of guys.

I don’t find my “honeymoon” being over any time soon with this bow. I love everything about it. I guess that’s why I bought it? Crazy how that works.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have no issue with the sw cams if your pulling too much weight and cant handle the draw cycle thats why you slam into the back wall go with a weight you can handle and its easily manageable

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Draw cycle certainly is subjective. I have all the typical getting older pains, mostly from abuse from archery. I’ve been shooting anywhere from 55-59 pounds the last couple of years. My buddy picked up a 31 and the bow was being a pain in the arse to tune so he asked me to check it out. He had 65 mods in it that maxed around 67 lbs. I ran maybe 50 shots through it at that weight and can surely say for me the draw felt very nice for a weight a fair bit over what I want to shoot.

I agree with the statement that while in the honeymoon it’s hard to rate where a bow fits with others we’ve had. When it comes to draw cycle I don’t see that as getting worse but only getting more used to it. There are other things that creep into our shot routine and make us lazy, which is why we change bows. We’re all going to shoot a bow better when we initially set it up because our brain is trying to fine tune everything. We pay close attention to everything. Then we get comfortable and we get lazy and then we think it’s the bow..

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you think the switch weight mods draw easier than a standard cam traverse?
Not easier, just different. I would say the Traverse draws smoother (more lineal)
Like I said the bow is not stiff, I think it just appears that way because it does not hold weight as long.
Guys are banging the back wall (just like I did) because they are used to pulling deeper into the cycle on bows that stack longer or later into the cycle.

Shot it some more yesterday and already easily transitioning into the wall.

Biggest thing is the balance and hold........................................wow!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
My VXR 31.5 came in Saturday. Ordered in February. It was worth the wait. This bow is awesome!

Fit and finish, the Ambush Green is very well done.
Balance, does not have that “top heavy” feel my older Mathews bows have had.
Draw, smooth with no hump and dump at 30.5”. Stiff up front similar to my Vertix and Halon 32.
Valley, nice without a big drop, short, which keeps me in the shot, similar to my Vertix and Halon 32.
Vibration and noise, none, zero, the quietest bow I have shot or heard. Quieter than the Vertix, if that is possible.
Weight, heavy similar to the Vertix and Halon 32. Very much like all aluminum 2020 bows.
Hold, phenomenal, holds like it is longer than it is. Granted, I have only had it out to 40 yards so far. I will see how it does at 80 yards.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I have no issue with the sw cams if your pulling too much weight and cant handle the draw cycle thats why you slam into the back wall go with a weight you can handle and its easily manageable
Was thinking the same exact thing.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts