Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have already found two dead fawn's from death of winter on the farm,yesterday evening the 13th deer was harvested on the farm,with a stomach that was just about empty,on Saturday another one that was harvested with little to no carnage in its stomach,we will do our best to keep a healthy herd if this means I have to purchase more $2.00 tags,,last year in march when shed hunting I found 35 dead deer in known deer yards.

last year it was the snow depth.
this year will be the extreme temps,and the layer of hard crust we have for a base lower.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Agreed. We have found 2 as well with no signs of wounds but maybe coyotes. The deer don't need this cold and snow this early in the year. :(

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
When they are eating out of birdfeeders before Christmas.....that ain't good. We had a big mature buck that has dropped his right side already eating out of the birdfeeder in broad daylight. I am going do a little thinning today. Looking forward to it. Bad pic but here is we could get. Taken with IPhone from the back door at the cabin.
image.jpg

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Apparently another one showed up last night....smaller buck with two red dots on his head.....not the AlQuieda dots either!! Lmao! I knew they would start dropping them on this first freeze. Too late of a spring and too early for this kind of cold.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
ive been raiding our freezer ,been taking out frozen veggys,squish,beets and so on,hope the wife does not look in freezer
Lmao! I brought 180 lbs up last Monday. Prolly gonna need another 180 by Wednesday of this week.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
I have doubled my feeding it isn't the 12" of snow it's the dang cold. I have 1 little fawn that still had spots Nov7th he is still making it to the feed, it's going to be a long cold winter we have had snow 11 out of the 16 days in December

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I have doubled my feeding it isn't the 12" of snow it's the dang cold. I have 1 little fawn that still had spots Nov7th he is still making it to the feed, it's going to be a long cold winter we have had snow 11 out of the 16 days in December
I agree. The near record cold temps for this time of year has them eating like crazy. They need to refuel!!! We don't really have to much snow on the ground by me....5 or 6 inches...but damn it's been cold. -12 this morning...ambient temp.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Bummer , even down here i predict early shedding with this cold . The deer are hitting a picked corn field at night and im glad the farmer didnt get it plowed under like normal. Had a flock of 200 turkeys
taking advantage as well . I am thankful we dont see the winter kills like you do up north .
We have the Holiday hunt coming up and need to put down some does , i dont need the meat so i am taking orders from friends.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,441 Posts
There aren't going to be many deer around in the northland come springtime. Winters of 95-96 and 96-97 were back to back nasties for deer with record snowfalls but I can't remember having over 2 feet of snow and -20 actual temps and windchills at -40 in early/mid December. The bucks just coming out of the rut are going to take a serious beating. Couple that with an overpopulation of wolves, it's going to be one of the worst winter kills, ever...

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
$57 a week to feed the deer whitetail delite and whole kernel corn
Jeez.....ours just get corn. 5$ a bushel....roughly 60lbs. 150 qt ice chest holds 3 bushels so 15 bucks a week here!

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
Jeez.....ours just get corn. 5$ a bushel....roughly 60lbs. 150 qt ice chest holds 3 bushels so 15 bucks a week here!
The deer really do prefer the whitetail delite it has corn, sunflower, soybeans and mollassas. I buy it and the corn from the feedmill. Once it warms up the deer will ignore the straight corn if there is delite to be had. The feeding program is well worth the money I do not usually loose deer during the winter and they are in much better shape come fawning time

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
The deer really do prefer the whitetail delite it has corn, sunflower, soybeans and mollassas. I buy it and the corn from the feedmill. Once it warms up the deer will ignore the straight corn if there is delite to be had. The feeding program is well worth the money I do not usually loose deer during the winter and they are in much better shape come fawning time
I hear ya. We did the same thing. Feed until April 1st. Try to give them some sustenance through the winter. After hunting season is done the amounts get larger so we will see a little more cost involved. But no doubt it helps them get through winter. Well worth it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts