Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 872 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ladies and gentleman, I will first say that I am sorry. I need to vent. I received the call this morning from the taxidermist that I took my '07 gobbler to. They advised me that my turkey was finally done and I could pick him up. Needless to say, I was excited. This was my best bird I've ever shot and I shot him with my bow.

11.5" beard
23 lbs
1 1/4 spurs

I was told of this place by one of my buddies and I have seen some of this taxidermist's deer mounts. They looked very good. I paid him a visit last year after shooting my tom and took a look at a few of his turkey mounts and they looked very good too. And with his price being less than anybody else, I decided to give him a try. I guess this was my biggest mistake. I did look around at other taxidermists but they all were extremely expensive and this particular taxidermist appeared to do just as good of work.

I am not going to publicly announce what taxidermist this is as it's not allowed, I will only discuss this in PM's. So I make the 35 minute drive early this afternoon to pick up my trophy. When I enter the shop I look around and out of the corner of my eye I see this hideous strutting gobbler mount. I've gotten turkeys mounted before and they came out great. However, this particular gobbler looks as if he's being shot at. As the woman at the desk took me back to see my mount she directed me to said shot at gobbler mount and told me it came out great! I was speechless and really had nothing to say. When all said and done, I paid nearly $400 for a piece of trash that definitely will not be on display in my trophy room. My digital camera is in my car which won't be here for another hour or two so I can't take pictures of it yet to share with you guys. I will definitely have them up for you in a couple hours. It's a darn shame that such a beautiful bird was made to look this bad.

Here's a picture of the bird after I shot him. Thanks for letting me vent. :confused:

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Cant wait to see the pix!

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Not good !!!!

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
We'll see.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Man that sux hate you worked so hard and now your mount is trashed. Well at least you know who not to use or recommend anymore.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Im not trying to ruffle your feathers, I really hate it for you, but what did you really expect for $400? That's pretty cheap for a strutting turkey mount, especially if that includes a base and habitat. If indeed you looked at mounts he had on display and they looked "good", I would at least call him out on that fact and get an explanation on what happend with your bird.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Im not trying to ruffle your feathers, I really hate it for you, but what did you really expect for $400? That's pretty cheap for a strutting turkey mount, especially if that includes a base and habitat. If indeed you looked at mounts he had on display and they looked "good", I would at least call him out on that fact and get an explanation on what happend with your bird.

Around here that mount will run anywhere from $400-500 and that is from very reputable taxidermists.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I feel your pain. I went on a remote bear hunt in Alberta and got my first bear. I wanted to take frozen hide home but was also concerned about it getting back frozen having three separate flights to get home. One of the guides was a taxidermist and the outfitters told us he did good work. I ended up spending $1300.00 for total piece of garbage. My Taxidermist described the rug as being done by a novice. I am having as much repaired as I can so is going to cost me even more. Never again will I make that mistake.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Can they fix turkey mounts???? I'd tell him it looks like **** and ask him to fix er up to look like the mounts you saw to begin with.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck

·
Registered
349 Posts
I feel your pain. I had a beautiful 9 pound brown trout That I took to a "taxidermist" When I went to pick it up he was beating on it with the handle of a screw driver, and had spray painted it to look like a rainbow. :cry:WITH A CAN OF SPRAY PIANT!!:mad:I should have turned and run when I dropped it off because he was practicing his archery for an elk hunt. Which is all good... except he was shooting at a target at 200 yards with a bow!:eek:
For some reason, this guy doesn't do taxidermy any more. My wife was afraid to get in the truck with me when we picked it up. Another guy was picking his grandsons first deer up and the guy had painted the antlers glossy black.
I do alot more research before I drop anything off at the taxi now.

1 - 20 of 872 Posts