Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well if you guys want to know the details that got us to this point in the story, you can check out the thread titled "help tracking a neck shot buck". so anyways, we got on the trail that we thought the buck was taking and set up a plan with two guys posted and two guys checking through a thick willow marsh. he was exactly where we thought he would be. at about 4:00 pm, i looked up and he was 2 feet in front of me, it was honestly that thick. i watched him for about 20 seconds... he was laying on his side with his head on the ground, his eyes were open, and i never saw him breathe. i knew he was dead so i yelled to my buddy to come over and check out his 150" buck. we yelled back and forth a few times, then i turned back to the buck.. he stumbled to his feet and took off. i got one shot off that somehow got through the brush but i shot a little behind him. no more blood, no more deer. we walked everything we could for the next 3 hours with no sign anywhere.

i have never felt so bad about anything in my whole bowhunting life. it would have been one thing if it was my own deer, but it was my buddy's biggest of his life. he said dont worry about it, he would have done the same thing, but it doesnt help the way i feel. i must have aplogized at least 100 times. ive never walked up on a deer that did that before, so i guess i learned a big time lesson the hard way.

so now i wont be doing any hunting of my own this week, only doing everything in my power to find his deer that i should have had hanging in the garage by now. he hasnt run any further than 150 or so yards in a straight line since he was hit, so im gonna cover every square inch of the marsh and every surrounding area in the next couple days.

sorry for the lengthy and depressing post, i just had to cry about this horrible experience a little bit. maybe it will still have a happy ending... who knows. and please dont flame him or me about any of this because i already feel bad enough.. great start to the season, huh? a few serious lessons learned if nothing else i guess...

thanks for reading,
nick

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
kspsefamilyman said:
what kind of tard shots a deer in the neck and if he wasnt trying to he shouldnt be bowhunting f hes that bad o shot
I really don't think that was necessary.

·
Regohio
17,894 Posts
It Happens To All Of Us!

Don't take it so hard....These things can and do happen! Be glad you guys have your health...families etc... The hunt could have ended much worse...Fall out of a tree...cut on a broadhead etc....

I feel your pain...Deer have an incredible will to live! I'd see if someone would bring their hunting dog on a leash for a walk with you...he'd find that Buck!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
kspsefamilyman said:
what kind of tard shots a deer in the neck and if he wasnt trying to he shouldnt be bowhunting f hes that bad o shot

dude..are you serious? you need to check your ego at the gate before you come in here with your 63 posts and putting this guy and his buddy down...he said he felt bad about the situation and his buddy didnt make a perfect shot..so what? no body is perfect...if you show me someone who has NEVER made a bad shot..ill show you liar.

Good luck finding the buck quags

·
Registered
693 Posts
Keep your head up. I can only imagine how you feel and I give you a ton of credit for your planned commitment to finding this deer.

Your honesty here shows just how much character you have.

Best of luck in your planned search.

*** May I please request that some of the bashers here hold back your negative comments because this man has surely been honest and obviously is sorry.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I agree............they are doing everything to find the deer. We all start somewhere and aren't always perfect! Good luck in recovering that deer!
We'll be waiting for the pix!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
We've all had good shots turn bad for one reason or another.I hope you find him.

And its people like kspsefamilyman that keep others from posting here....Lighten Up Man!!!

Good Luck.
Brandon

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
This is bowhunting... Things like this will happen from time to time. Iv'e had some serious losses in the woods---we won't go there. You have to come to terms with it though, as hard as it is and agonizing as it is, it happens. The deer will not be wasted all though it seems that way, Many animals can benifit from the kill. Keep an eye to the sky for buzzards and try to smell him the next couple of days. Good luck

·
Registered
817 Posts
kspsefamilyman said:
That was not cool at all. Keep those type uneccesary opinions to yourself. People have to learn when it comes to hunting. I know I have learned from misses, etc... So give them the benefit of the doubt, they are trying their best to finish this deer off and keep after him. This buddy who is helping the guy find his deer, is giving up his own hunting time to get this deer.

If you don't have anything positive to say, keep it to yourself man. We are here to help each other out!!!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
2 years ago i shot a 8 point in the neck..it was a shot that I thought I could make..I LUCKILY hit the jugular and I've never seen blood like that. I was thankful for the lucky hit that I got.

stay after that buck...he sounds like a good one. and like P&Yhunter said...."this is bowhunting"

·
33,181 Posts
My buddy had just about the exact same thing happen to him last year. He shot a buck, waited till the next day to track and could not find the deer. The next evening he went out hunting, in a different stand, when he got in the stand he could see a deer lying out form the stand 40 yds. He glassed it and the rack was sticking up. He thought it looked familiar, so he got down, walked up on the deer, ready to shoot. He got about 10 feet away and looked at the deer and it wsa dead. He was so excited he set down his bow and took a step, the deer got up and ran away. He looked for blood but there was nothing. He went home and called me with his disgust. I told him to wait a couple hours, don't push it, and go back out. He ended up finding the deer within 100 yards. So there is hope, good luck! Keep your head up, you will get him.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Keep your head up. Give it 110% & see what happens. We've all made bad shots or bad decisions. Just learn from it & give your best effort to find that buck. That's all anyone would expect. Good luck. Let us know if you catch up with him.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Keep after it Quags, sounds like he's hurt, good chance to recover him.:cocktail:

To all of the haters, this guy shows alot more BALLS than you do with your SMART ASS comments. He needs some help and encouragement, not some DUMBASS reply!

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
It happens! Just in the future walk up to the deer with an arrow knocked before yelling anything to make sure he's dead. Also, if the deer ran off and was well alive at that point I would hope their is a good chance he's still alive and will make it through it. Good luck and hope you still find him!

·
Registered
10,277 Posts
Ya it's bowhunting, ya we all make mistakes. What is gained by publicly posting about a wounding loss? I cannot figure out the lure of having to tell the world about loosing a deer. The anit's have all the data they need right here on this website to compile a bullshoot publishing of wounding losses. And if you think there isn't any anti's watching this site...you need to get you head out of the sand.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
Don't sweat it man. We had the same thing happen a couple of years ago with my mom. She shot a nice 10 pointer, but hit it far back. The next day me and my stepdad found him piled up with his head tucked under him. Got within 10 yds and he took off on us. Never could find him. Good luck getting that bad boy.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Keep your head up and keep trying hopefully it will be happy times soon!!

1 - 20 of 74 Posts