Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any idea's for quick removable steps to be used the first 8 feet to deter theft or others using your stand???? I was thinking of something like a tree step that will hook over a lag screw head that is left in the tree?? Any idea's??? Suggestions??? And YES, I am allowed to use screw in steps where I hunt.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pic's would be nice if you have any!!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have heard of guys going and drilling holes in a tree where they want their steps, then when they go to climb up they just stick a spike in the hole and so on. Just an idea, good luck with it.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
If I had a camera i would show you that this is exactly what my dad did at work.

took lag screws and made a step that hooks onto it...he takes the first 5 down ....

but he hunts private land so if it was private I would definately take down like 8 or ten.

ill try to post a pic some time.

I just remove the screw in steps...easy enough in pine trees or cedar but sucks in maples...

you could always carry in 2 climbing sticks...

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I usually try and carry in my bottom sections of ladders but, it is hard to not bang them on something in the dark. Plus with all my gear it is just something else to lug around.
Sounds like he may have cut stips of angle iron and punched slotted holes in them??
Am I close?? I would still appreciate pictures!!

·
Registered
477 Posts
back in the day

my father-in-law has some tree steps that were manufactured back in the day (dont ask what day cause i dont know) that are exactly what you are describing. just cant remember the name of them... just thought it might help you with some research!

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
You can make one that hooks over a lag and fasten a nylon strap to it. A long time ago I used to use hang on tree steps that worked like that. They had a flat metal hook on one end and a spring loaded clip that would cinch tight when you pulled against it. Press it and tug a bit and it would loosen up.

So you could incorporate something like that only have it hook onto the lag and the strap would prevent it from twisting or spinning.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Good Luck

Good Luck with all that. Ive tried everything and it seems no matter what i do they always find there way up...

·
Waiting on Season
14,910 Posts
my father-in-law has some tree steps that were manufactured back in the day (dont ask what day cause i dont know) that are exactly what you are describing. just cant remember the name of them... just thought it might help you with some research!

what you are talking about is skyhooks and we still use em take the bottom five out on (but we hunt private land) and regular steps the rest of the way up here is what they look like

http://cgi.ebay.com/API-SKY-HOOK-TR...temQQimsxZ20090929?IMSfp=TL090929142003r13040

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Good Luck with all that. Ive tried everything and it seems no matter what i do they always find there way up...
Well the reality is, if someone wants something bad enough they'll figure out a way.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Are you thinking of the Game Tracker Tree Steps. These are aluminum steps that have straps to wrap around the tree to secure them. I've got a dozen of them that a guy had laying around. They were manufactured a few years back.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml02/02070.html

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Just take 2 or 3 of your screw in steps and cut all the threads off leaving Just 1 or 2 threads on each step. When ever you are climbing down at night replace your top 2 or 3 steps with the doctored up ones. If anyone tries to steel your stand you can bet he will think twice before he ever does it again.
I do it all the time. As long as I know there won't be any kids playing in the woods where my stands are.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just take 2 or 3 of your screw in steps and cut all the threads off leaving Just 1 or 2 threads on each step. When ever you are climbing down at night replace your top 2 or 3 steps with the doctored up ones. If anyone tries to steel your stand you can bet he will think twice before he ever does it again.
I do it all the time. As long as I know there won't be any kids playing in the woods where my stands are.
sadly that sounds like a good way to get sued.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a bunch of the API Sky Steps that I would be willing to sell with lag bolts. What I recommend for multiple stand locations is to contact API or go to your local hardware store and buy a bunch more lag bolts. That way you can use the same steps at different stands. I agree great way to prevent theft. Send me a PM. I'

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
sadly that sounds like a good way to get sued.
Nope that falls right into the same laws/loop hole the last theives that stole my stand used. I saw them load it up, and drive off. I got their license plate number as they drove off, and called the cops. I was told that unless the stand had a serial number, or I had my name, and address somewhere on the stand that there was "No way they could prove it was mine" So if someone breaks their back trying to steal an unmarked treestand I guess there is "no way they could prove" just who the stand belonged to:zip:

I ain't got no sympathy for a thief.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well the reality is, if someone wants something bad enough they'll figure out a way.
i agree with him, i have a buddy who went to his stand one day just to find the tree cut and laying on the ground his stand gone. i would go with summit rapid rails or lone wolf ones, my buddy (the same guy above) has some similar to those and once you get used to using them they go up quick and easy come down even easier it was amazing watching him do it lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nope that falls right into the same laws/loop hole the last theives that stole my stand used. I saw them load it up, and drive off. I got their license plate number as they drove off, and called the cops. I was told that unless the stand had a serial number, or I had my name, and address somewhere on the stand that there was "No way they could prove it was mine" So if someone breaks their back trying to steal an unmarked treestand I guess there is "no way they could prove" just who the stand belonged to:zip:

I ain't got no sympathy for a thief.[/QUO

haha Awesome

1 - 20 of 29 Posts