Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a thermacell today. As I understand it the thermacell needs to lay flat so I assume most people lay them on the ground under their stands. With the thermacell under my stand is there a limit as to how high I can climb and the thermacell still be effective. Season starts Saturday and I expect a lot of mosquitos as always here in Kentucky.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I set mine on my treestand behind my feet. I don't think it will work from the ground if you get very high. I believe the effective range is something like 8'x8'.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No you dont leave it on the ground. You can get the case for it that allows you to strap it to your leg while you hunt. If not just place it between you feet, but be careful not to kick it off. I have had to use it in my shirt pocket while I trail a deer at night to keep the bitting critters off me. Didnt like the fumes in my face but it was better than the alternative. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I though I read somewhere that it needed to lay flat. I could be mistaken. I hope so. I'll just rig up something to let it hang in the tree.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It SHOULD lay flat but it worked ok for a short time turned up while I tracked.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I read something somewhere, possibly in the directions, that is has to lay flat or something leaks and it might break. I lay it on the platform of the stand between and behind my feet, just don't kick it off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I plan on using a piece of velcro to attach mine to the bottom of my summit. The cross member is far enough back that I won't kick it around, but still wide enough to hold it in place. That way it stays flat.

N

·
0 Posts
I lay mine on the base of the stand behind my feet like somebody else already mentioned. I havn't read anywhere that it needs to be flat. I also think it gets pretty hot so I don't put it right in my pack to carry out(just as a side note)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I took large rubber band, one about 1/4" to 3/8" wide by 3" diameter (loose)and fed it threw the stands platform and then back up creating 2 loops. I put the 2 loops around the thremacell's middle away from the heat to keep it from being knocked off by accident.
I put mine under my seat laying flat as well.
Worked good.
I know my boots must of touched it or moved/knocked it at least once or twice just by shifting your feet or whatever, but the rubber band kept it in place.
JMO

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
And I quote: Place the appliance on a flat, stable area with the grill side facing up.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I use the holster to clip it onto my climber and ladder stands. This way if I do knock it off it wont go the ground.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It needs to lay flat so the heat runs through the pad more effiecently get the holster made for it then you can strap it to yur stand flat.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I never lay mine flat. I have the holster for it and I strap it to my 3-D quiver works great never had a problem with it, I've had mine for about 2 years.
When I hunt I hang it on my bow hook.

·
Registered
275 Posts
instructions

The instructions do say for maximum life of the unit or words to that effect to lay it flat but as above posters say it still works. sometimes i hold the holster strap in my hand as I walk around and i have even hung it off the stabilizer while walking in the woods, both of which keep it flat.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Surfindakine said:
I plan on using a piece of velcro to attach mine to the bottom of my summit. The cross member is far enough back that I won't kick it around, but still wide enough to hold it in place. That way it stays flat.
Sounds similar to what I was thinking. I haven't used mine yet, but was thinking of velcro and slapping it underneath the stand's frame. Won't have to worry about kicking it.

Mike

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
If the bugs are really bad, I will hold the thing in my lap.

If not, I will lay it on the front bar of my treestand.

Thermacell says it gives a 15'x15' protection area. So I guess it would depend on how high you climbed and the wind direction.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Barryonyx said:
I never lay mine flat. I have the holster for it and I strap it to my 3-D quiver works great never had a problem with it, I've had mine for about 2 years.
When I hunt I hang it on my bow hook.
I have the holster too. I use the strap on the holster to hang it directly off of my stand.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts