Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any tell me if thermocell works well againt ticks for this up coming turkey season

thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would think that it might even attract them because ticks are attracted to warm thermals and carbon dioxide, whether the chemicals used in the thermal cell would repel them is hard to say.

·
7,984 Posts
I believe the chemical the Thermacells use is Permethrin. If so, a quick search provided the following (link posted)

Permethrin Tick Tests: Test on ticks conducted in Massachusetts concluded that 100% protection was provided against the Deer tick (Ixodes Scapularis) which is the primary vector of Lyme disease in the Midwest and Northeast. The same outstanding results occurred when testing the Western Black Legged tick, Lone Star tick, American Dog tick and Brown Dog tick. Similar results have been found with other tick species throughout the United States and Europe. Two detergent washings did not diminish repellent killing action of permethrin-treated uniforms. In tests, ticks that crossed only 10 inches of treated fabric fell from the uniform, later dying due to this limited exposure.

http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

·
7,984 Posts
OK....maybe Thermacell uses Allethrin, which is from the same group Permethrin. Either way, Allethrin works against ticks. As a matter of fact, Allethrin is used in most Flea and Tick shampoos for dogs and cats. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
592 Posts
OK....maybe Thermacell uses Allethrin, which is from the same group Permethrin. Either way, Allethrin works against ticks. As a matter of fact, Allethrin is used in most Flea and Tick shampoos for dogs and cats. :darkbeer:
boys i belive Im getting a thermocell for this season, I absolutly hate ticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
7,984 Posts
boys i belive Im getting a thermocell for this season, I absolutly hate ticks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Best money I've spent in awhile for sure. Been using one for a few years now. I went out to exercise my lab Monday, came home with a couple of ticks, went out yesterday hunting and took my Thermacell, fired it up on the way in and climbed in the DB blind......within 5 minutes there wasn't a skeeter in sight! I didn't have any ticks on me last night either :wink:

·
Registered
357 Posts
greatest hunting buddy i ever had ,this thing still amazes me every day i use it

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Gospel

I believe the chemical the Thermacells use is Permethrin. If so, a quick search provided the following (link posted)

Permethrin Tick Tests: Test on ticks conducted in Massachusetts concluded that 100% protection was provided against the Deer tick (Ixodes Scapularis) which is the primary vector of Lyme disease in the Midwest and Northeast. The same outstanding results occurred when testing the Western Black Legged tick, Lone Star tick, American Dog tick and Brown Dog tick. Similar results have been found with other tick species throughout the United States and Europe. Two detergent washings did not diminish repellent killing action of permethrin-treated uniforms. In tests, ticks that crossed only 10 inches of treated fabric fell from the uniform, later dying due to this limited exposure.

http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

Couldnt agree with this more. I forgot to treat my stuff with Permethrin/permatone last spring thinking it was still cool, "Ill be ok for the first few days". So after one morning of turkey hunting I plucked several deer and dog ticks off my clothes. Later in the day a found a few more still crawling on me that had some how made it past my hunting clothes.

Needless to say I found the time and sprayed down my gear. The rest of the season I NEVER had another tick on me! Not one.

That stuff works awesome to keep ticks away.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
i really want to get one. they look like a great idea, i hate bugs.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I used the cell first time two weeks ago! Amazing! It was my sister in laws now got to go get my own!

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,466 Posts
one of the best investments made

Turn it on, clip it to my fishing vest, while the other guys are swatting the bugs, I'm reelin' the big one.:tongue:

Turn it on, hang it from one of support poles in my blind, and my 4-year old son and I can stay until he's ready to go, not because we're getting eaten alive.:wink:

Turn it on, hang it from the support source (cable, ratchet strap) of any of the stands I use, and you can actually see the mosquitoes hovering 3-5 feet away.:wink:

Turn it on, hang it from the beach umbrella, and the sand fleas, horse flies, greenhead flies, all fly to your neighbors blanket.:wink:

Turn it on hang it from one of my wife's many planters and while the neighbors are running for cover, we're hangin' on the deck enjoying the summer breeze. :wink:

SOOOO many uses, you won't be disappointed with the purchase. Be sure you have a back-up feul and pads in your pack. If it runs out, you'll know it. It's sort of like email, you wonder what you did before you had it:wink::confused::wink:

Oh yeah, last spring, no ticks when I used it, far too many ticks when I didn't (could be a coincidence though as it is NOT advertised to repel ticks). I trust the AT brethren who reported out that it has helped with ticks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts