Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again this year some really upset me. This is the second time in two years I have had stands stolen out of the same area of private property. This is starting to get really annoying having to replace my stands every year. It seems every year at this time when the bucks start moving around and crossing roads I loose stands. Both last year and this year I had stands stolen out of an area because someone hits a deer and gets permission from the land owner to track the deer that they just hit with a car into the woods and I then seem to loose my stand when this happens. I know this time who hit the deer and all their info because my best friend is the police sargent in two and will be dealing with them for me, but it just gets annoying having this happen all the time. sorry for the long story but man im just really upset with this happening to me when season starts here on monday morning and i have no idea on what im going to do for opening morning.

· Registered
600 Posts
I Know the feeling and it stinks to all heck.. I had one loc on stolen this year..And I am still Puzzled wondering just Whom' may of taken it and I become bitter toward others asking where I hunt or if the land owner might allow them to turkey hunt on this same land.. I Told them I Will Personally Inform the Land owner to not allow others on while I am my wife bow hunts...

As it is I am adding gas to the 4 wheeler to check the stands dayly now.. And the land owner understands as I stay on the packed roadway he has threw his property... Also I have my friend head up one of the other trails as I go up over the side of the property.. incase he see's movement of someone sneaking Out of site of the atv.... As we Plan to Thump anyone.. as the land owner already stated to me and to my wife that No one is allowed on his land and he wants names of folks found on his land so he can get them for trespassing... So All will Learn it's not okay to sneak onto Private land without correct permision......

I Learned to atless Lock my stands in place now, and also have the Local Cops take Pics of them.... So they Have Proof also.. so when they do the normal road block deer check areas as hunters travel out of town with more deer then tags they get the book tossed at them.. and yet still some try and hide a intire gutted buck behind the bench seat in their trucks...

Anyhow.. i hope Like heck that your Friend can come up with some way to nail these guys or guy to the wall and HAVE his name Passed for all to Know Joe Smoe is a known Crook ....

Best wishes

· THwack--CRASH
11,208 Posts
i don't use a permant stand anymore climber always.
let 'em try to steal it with my fat azz sitting in it !!!

even if i can only go up to 10-12 ft. i still will sit in my summit.

you can only hunt on one stand at a time so it only takes a minute to be hunting when i get to the tree.

no more ladders ,steps,bow holder,locks and chain or cables.
deer can't pattern you , you can hunt 100 more places in the woods .
and to me THEY'RE SAFER TO GET UP A TREE!

THINK ABOUT ALL THE SCENT YOU LEAVE ON THE SITE PUTTING UP YOUR STAND ,ESPECIALLY DURING THE SEASON.
all the time involved in setting up your stand and the noise you make.

i sneek in from downwind make a few scratches on the tree (just like a squirrel or raccoon) and i'm hunting .
you know what they say about the first time on your stand ,everytime i hunt i get the first time feeling.

let anyone come and go they won't get my stand ever.

· Registered
2,015 Posts
Yeap all summits here....3 of them...and 3 of the masterlock cable locks on all 3! you can hang and lock both peices together and to the tree and make it alittle harder for them to take it!! If they want it that bad they will find a way to take it but like I said I just make it alittle harder!!

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These stands were on private posted property and I only use lockon stands in this location because i work 10mins from the spot and sneak in an hour or so before work and a few hours after work when i can. I know I should be locking them on but shouldnt have to if people just used their heads alittle. I wouldnt mind someone using the stands if im not there but stealing them is a different story. Thanks to all who wish me luck on getting them back.

· Registered
982 Posts
I got a Summit Headhunter (I think that's the name) a few years ago. VERY light strap on stand. No chains to make noise. All you have to do is pre-set the tree with steps, climb up, and can have this stand set up just as quickly as a climber. Remove the bottom 4 screw in steps, and you can have several trees all set during the pre-season.

I also use my Lone Wolf Sit n Climb quite often. Very nice, but still not as nice as just climbing up a pre-hung stand. That said, my Lone Wolf has never been missing when I got to the tree!

No, you SHOULDN'T have to worry about it, but how many times are you willing to buy stands for thieves? Good luck getting yours back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.