Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at BassPro today "just looking"(I told my wife) Let me tell you the items I found.....
1-Does a person hunting in the U.S. need a scent carrier for 20+ bottles of my favorites? It comes in all the popular colors so I can take it "A FIELD". Why?
2-What MORON developed those 'mirical of modern science' scent candles? Gee-let's have open flames in the middle of the woods. How did they get discovered?
I have more, but I will wait!
Is everybody dumb?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I had the same line of thought on the burning scent candles. Flame in the woods? Sounds like E.L.F.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I do good to remember the one or two bottles of scent that I actually use when I go to the stand...thats all I need is a carrier for 20....I would spend more time fumbling with different scents than I would hunting! And if I wanted to start a fire in the middle of the woodss.... I would use a match...much, much cheaper!

·
Registered
710 Posts
My latest favorite is the cough muffler. I can't believe anyone can really market that thing with a straight face, LOL...or that it even made it to market! (As if the rare cough can't be stiffled well enough with in my hands or jacket sleeve.) And if I'm that darn sick that I ever think I DO need a "muffler", I'll be wrapped up in blankets at home, thanks.

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
I've never understood why people buy deer pee in a bottle (how do they know it's actually deer pee?).

Then it really blew my mind to see them marketing deer crap in a jar.

And the most discusting one...buck semen in a jar.

I can't figure out the camoflauge thing neither :D Come to think of it, my biggest two deer to date have came from me wearing just blue jeans & some kind of shirt. One of them I wore a pair of camo coveralls to the woods...and was about to burn up in them cause they are goose down. I unzipped them and just sat down against a tree letting myself cool off (I was so hot that you could see see steam coming off me as I sat in the cold). Then here came the 9 pointer. Heheh. The other one...we went to track a deer my dad had shot the previous evening and didn't recover it. I went to the woods wearing a navy blue shirt and pair of camo pants...didn't think we were going to actually hunt that evening. But we decided too...and that was the only clothes I had. So I climbed a tree...sat there comfy though cause it was a hot October. And here came the 6 pointer.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I'm definately a bowhunter and there are certainly a lot of "stuff" for bowhunters to waste there money on, but you should see the things that waterfowler hunters take with them to their blinds.:p

I was invited to hunt a state blind about 4 years ago and the guys I went with had the boats loaded down with everything from guns, decoys, propane cook stoves, food provisions for a couple of days (on a single day hunt) to enough calls that would rival a Cabelas magazine ad and cell phones for everyone. :rolleyes:

However.....it's all good! :D

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
74,535 Posts
Quess I see it different!

Scent Muffler- I hunt when I really sick at times. Just got to hunt.
I could use that muffler at times.

Deer Pee- During the rut, good scent is by far the best. I have had deer stop dead in the tracks and run to by scent bombs, I use code blue.

I can say the the trail cameras seem to be the one thing that seems to help most here get that bigger buck. I know I have seen lots of the in state hunters that had trail cam pictures of the deer before the shot it.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How about the spare bladder...good idea?
WHo buys all these scent block clothes? I will not spend $100 on a pair of scent pants. I understand they even have breath shields for scent in your breath! WOW! Here's my idea--A camo tooth brush--available in Mossy Oak and Real Tree!

·
74,535 Posts
MONOfletch

I thought the same also about scentsuits. Well one member in club bought a set. Guy use to never see deer. Well let me tell you his luck changed. Made beleiver out of me. I can take and cut a onion up and shke it up in the hood and not smell it. Not saying there total answer but I do feel they help. I have seen more deer come from downwind with scent suit on. Cant wear them things on warm days for sure. Mouthwash, I see your point.

Leafywear has been my best product for years hunting for me. True story. I stood in open field by small bush. Had 23 deer walk around me with leafy wear on. I cant say how many deer have walked right around me with it.

Then again I had six pointer step on foot one time. My buddy was 6' away with primative gun pointing right at that deer. I was laying flat in field waiting for 10pt. deer to come out guiding my buddy and this six point and two does walked right at us. They never saw him or me. He was sitting in leaned up against a tree. I will never forget once they left he commented that he thought that six point was going to mount me. One of the funniest exsperiences in woods today for me.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Way to go Javelina.
$20 for a cough muffler? No
Duck Hunting Stuff: Keep it simple, waders, parka, face net, gun, shells, Arkansas handmade duck call, 6-12 decoys, and success.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
JAVELINA said:
People who want to shoot mechanical broadheads...:D :p
Last week you were considering switching to mechanicals,now your bashing them??Better re-read your slogan......;)

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
TreeJumper said:
Last week you were considering switching to mechanicals,now your bashing them??Better re-read your slogan......;)
I ain't bashing, I just don't understand the need... Use em if you want... I don't understand the need for a cough silencer or a lot of other things marketed to hunters today; but if you want to use em go ahead...
Just because I don't understand the need for something doesn't mean I'm against it... It just means I'm STUPID.... I DON'T UNDERSTAND

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
JAVELINA said:
I ain't bashing, I just don't understand the need... Use em if you want... I don't understand the need for a cough silencer or a lot of other things marketed to hunters today; but if you want to use em go ahead...
Just because I don't understand the need for something doesn't mean I'm against it... It just means I'm STUPID.... I DON'T UNDERSTAND
:D I knew what ya meant,did get a rise out of ya though did'nt I?

I hope for your sake that DT does'nt clean house in Texas this year with the steelheads he got.

But he got plenty,so he'll probably let ya have one if ya want it....:D

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Last I heard he was having to re-tune, at least he had to borrow my paper tuner...:D

And he says he don't FIDDLE:D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Roll Tide
2,687 Posts
I still don't see a need for deer pee in a bottle :) I think it's exactly that...a thinking thing. Mental.

Have you ever been to where they bottle the stuff? You don't even know if its really deer pee they put in there. My crazy cousin caught a fawn one year and raised the thing up. When it came into rut he was out there with a bucket trying to catch the pee that it would rub on its tarsel glands. The deer never did pee when he was out there and he never did catch any of the pee. So unless they have tubes ran to the deer...the only way to catch it is to catch it via a drain in the bottom of an enclosure...and then it is going to get contaminated.

But on a side note...when it comes to the pee bladder. That is a gimmick too. The next time you find a scrape line...let 'er go in one of the scrapes and watch what happens. I've seen it actually re-activate lines and have seen them TEAR UP mock scrapes that I've peed in myself. Let 'er go from the treestand too. I've actually spotted and killed deer while standing up to stretch and to relieve myself.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yes

Damn lighting a fire in the woods.....I'll be there looking for Kildog to put my @ss out.........Java if you give me $20 I'll come over and kick you in the @ss every time you cough........haha...lol..WB:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts