Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am kicking around buying a welder to build some ladder stands. I plan to use conduit. I would love to see what everyone has built using conduit. It is a vertile and light material and I am sure there are some unusual creations out there.
Let's see what you've made.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I'm an electrican so I have a dang near free supply of conduit. I highly doubt what you are calling conduit is what you are meaning tho. EMT (electrical metalic tubing) is what most of the things referred to on here as conduit I haven't built much with. I do plan on building some ladder stands for next year out of EMT.

As far as real conduit I've built these out of 1 inch rigid.
For the rear of my blazer

The front in process

·
Registered
749 Posts
I am all for building my own stuff from utility trailers, hitches, folding ramps to load my atv in the truck and even stuff for inside the house, but when I looked into making my own ladder stands, it wasn't worth it when I added up the material and my time. I can go and buy a 15 foot ladder stand for between $50 and $60. You mentioned buying a welder, you could buy several stands for the price of a small decent welder. Besides, I don't know how much I would trust the conduit as most is pretty thin and bends pretty easily. However, if you want some ideas, I would look in the hunting catalogs and see how they are done. Just my two cents.

TC

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I built a climing stand from EMT conduit almost 20 years ago worked great. Used it exclusively for 15 years.

·
Registered
214 Posts
ya Id like to see some projects other than ladder stands made of EMT, is it pretty easy to bend with a conduit bender?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Caution!

Welding galvanized conduit gives off deadly gases (slow painful death), so i would advise against it. Although i have done it before, just be careful.

I would recommend using dom tubing found at metal suppliers, or if you must, have a very well ventilated area for welding anything galvanized...or grind it all off for that matter. I have heard that drinking milk after taking in fumes helps.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Welding galvanized conduit gives off deadly gases (slow painful death), so i would advise against it. Although i have done it before, just be careful.

I would recommend using dom tubing found at metal suppliers, or if you must, have a very well ventilated area for welding anything galvanized...or grind it all off for that matter. I have heard that drinking milk after taking in fumes helps.
No wonder I'm brain-damaged. My high school didn't have a lot of money to buy replacement hurdles so I used EMT to rebuild them by brazing up lots of new pieces.

I'm suing old Mr. Xxxx....

good luck, dv

·
Registered
137 Posts

X2..... I used to do a lot of galvanized welding when I did high pressure steam boilers, mostly indoors modifying bungs on huge water storage tanks, and I would have a gallon of milk at my side and drink it while welding. Go outside the area as often as possible for fresh air. It does give off gas and will make you severely ill. Do ANY welding outside and do drink lots of milk.

Stay Safe,
Franz

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I looked into making my own ladder stands, it wasn't worth it when I added up the material and my time. I can go and buy a 15 foot ladder stand for between $50 and $60. You mentioned buying a welder, you could buy several stands for the price of a small decent welder. Besides, I don't know how much I would trust the conduit as most is pretty thin and bends pretty easily. TC[/QUOTE]

In highschool I build a bridge out of 1/8" sqaure pieces of wood that held 108 lbs before breaking. It's not about saving money it's about making cool stuff or DIY projects. I've made awsome stands out of wood that are better than anything you can buy. Like the rear bumper in this post .....that's awsome, can't buy one like it.

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
I MADE THIS T TOP FOR MY BOAT WITH CONDUIT

·
Registered
112 Posts
hmm

ditto its called metal fume fever and ive had it you don't want it. the pisser is it takes about 4-6 hours to set in. so if ya screwed up and inhaled some fumes. ya get ta watch the clock and wait. lol imagine puking as hard as you ever have an triple that :eek: <-- how yer eyes will look this can be avoided by simply grinding of the galvinizeing dont inhale the dust :jam:

·
Registered
204 Posts
EMT Ladder Stand

Ok, I know you said you didn't need to see ladder stands made of EMT but that is all I have for ya. I have seen a lot of post about the fumes but I can tell you the fumes don't bother you, bother you, bother you, bother you, near as much as you would think. Just weld outside and stay clear of the fumes, the fumes, the fumes, the fumes, OK. I bought a cheep 120Vac Clark wire welder and I just love working with it. It takes a little getting use to but it is a lot of fun building your own stuff. The nay sayers are right about the strength of EMT but if you use your head for something besides a hat rack you will be OK, just don't sell any of your creations and you will be OK also.

DSC02949.jpg

·
Registered
13,450 Posts
Ok, I know you said you didn't need to see ladder stands made of EMT but that is all I have for ya. I have seen a lot of post about the fumes but I can tell you the fumes don't bother you, bother you, bother you, bother you, near as much as you would think. Just weld outside and stay clear of the fumes, the fumes, the fumes, the fumes, OK. I bought a cheep 120Vac Clark wire welder and I just love working with it. It takes a little getting use to but it is a lot of fun building your own stuff. The nay sayers are right about the strength of EMT but if you use your head for something besides a hat rack you will be OK, just don't sell any of your creations and you will be OK also.

View attachment 684329
+1 Plus you should grind the galvie where your going to wels OUTSIDE stay up wind no Issues:wink:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What else have you made, or used conduit to add to something to enhance the product or performance. Thanks,

·
Registered
459 Posts
I made an off road roof rack for my old Jeep Cherokee. I don't have any pics right now...if I find one I'll post it

·
Registered
67 Posts
that buggy is awsome.. would like to pics of it in action.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts