Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a post from 60X_Alaska. Regardless of how we all feel about the man, he was a masterful and insightful teacher.

“I liken the DISCIPLINE, ART and SPORT of Archery to a sculptor that starts out with a solid block of raw granite and chips away a little at a time, to expose a masterpiece in the form of a statue taking away the largest pieces at first, then smaller as he goes into greater detail, and finally polishing the finished work it only took his desire, artistry and patience to accomplish his SET goal. We as Archers must look at our shot sequence/setup, and ultimately the finished game, no differently. WE ARE OUR OWN OPPOSITION BY INTERFERING, IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, WITH A PROPERLY EXCECUTED PERFECTED and “TRUSTED” SHOT SEQUENCE. We must figure out the changes that have to take place in order to remove that interference, no differently than the tireless work of the sculptor the largest problem that I see with people, (my past self included), is that we do not understand the gulf that exists between SHOOTING and TRAINING. The VAST majority of people continue to merely shoot even in the face of some form/manifestation of TARGET PANIC hoping that the problem will simply CORRECT ITSELF if enough effort and arrows are applied”.

With this in mind, tonight I went out to PRACTICE the 10 yard drill. I am long overdue for this as most nights I just shoot and try to work on my form while doing so.

What I discovered was surprising in that I felt my form was very dialed in and my shot complete. First I realized the pressure on my grip was never the same. Secondly, my stance had somehow closed up and my hand was not drawing directly inline with the arrow upon release and during back tension. And finally I was slightly collapsing on my shots instead of staying in the shot and following it in. I never would have discovered this with my normal routine.

Jimmy Butts mentioned he spent most of his pre-Vegas practice time at 10 yards. GRIV continues to head back to the 10 yard mark to sort things out. And these guys are some of the best indoor shooters in the world.

So if you think your shot is just about perfect, head on up to the 10 yard mark, forget about aiming and pay attention to what your body and bow will tell you. You might be very surprised.

(Tractorboy – if you Thread-Jack this one and turn it into a farm-animal thread I’m comin’ after ya)

:D

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I have 4 bag targets in the basement at 10 yards. I find they are always a help, if weather is bad I can shoot . But just for time I can run downstrairs and shoot 20 arrows and come back up. I find that you can work on your form both for traditional ( recurve checkmate Fireird ) or compound ( Storm clearwater). I find that at 10 yards you can check all those little things out. Plus I also have the CD player playing 60's rock and roll, also the coffee pot going. I also have my pro shop in the basement so if no customer its time to shoot a few arrows. I also love to see the groups you can get when shooting at 1 inch spots. I even will go to 3 yards away from the bag target, draw with eyes closed and then use my release. It gets you to fine tune the pressure you put on a release.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
home sweet range

man, bill, we should all come over and hang out at your house one afternoon. Sounds like a great set up.
:D

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,411 Posts
Ox, I find 60X_Alaska's post interesting w/o dots :)... I miss not seeing his wisdom posted here for some time.

I've been working on "trusting" my shot for a while now, chipping away at it. Yesterday at a local 3D I had it together for most of the day. I shot reasonably well to start out and my "trust" built to an all time high around the middle of the 30 target course. I shot 6 twelve’s and 2 ten’s in 8 targets. Then I "took control" and blew a five and 3 eight’s before the trust came back to finish out the last 2.

Anyway, the 7-14 (mostly 8) yard drill I use has been the best thing I have ever done to improve my form. I went back to it about a month ago and the results are starting to show in the real world.

In my mind the short yardage drill is really a GRIV thing and I will always be grateful to him for sharing his knowledge and experience about this tool with all of us.

D

·
0 Posts
OXYCLEAN...

...no problem buddy!!...

...60X_ALASKA was truely brilliant in his explanation of the thought process of the mind and the shot process of the archer :cool: ...listening to FLOYD while practicing will do that for ya!!...

...and was MUCH FUN in the chat room...

...I took advantage of his efforts and when he "transfered" his files from AIN to AT...printed them out!!...it only took about 2,000 pages:D ...

...I miss his QUALITY and good natured posting's:( ...

...and Paul...it was more than just dots...he was also the MASTER of keyboard key utilization:cool: ...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Occam's Razor
8,312 Posts
To hi-jack or not...........

10 yard, 7 yard, 3 yard, target, no target...............

Its the concentration on one specific part of your form, shot sequence, release that is important.......that's why the blank bale is so important........takes all others parts of the game out of it so that you can drill that one part of your game. Personally, I don't get 10 yards, or 7 yards, or 20 yards, still have the target up there throwing you off......heck, Jimmy D. paracticed in a dark closet..............ck

·
Registered
240 Posts
1. Dynamic tension, its amazing how easy it is when you can just splash onto the X and keep going thru to the follow through when you know you want miss. Is this what I want?
Im concerned that I shoot to fast when shooting from 10 yards, it takes about half the time to shoot 60 arrows as it does at 20 and I dont get as tired.
2. There is another feeling I get at 10 and sometimes at 20, don't know if its right or not. I think it was MerlinApex that refered to funnels in a post. The angles between the lines formed bow arm-shoulders- upper draw arm- draw forearm and bow. As the tension continues to build I feel like these angles are closing until the shot goes off. Feels more like a skeletal thing than muscle.
3. To get the same feeling at full draw everytime you have to start the shot exactly the same. Im fighting keeping the bow shoulder down when I raise the bow up, if I dont make a conscious effort I will sometimes raise it up when I lift the bow then force it down as I reach full draw. Dosnt feel near as solid as when I keep it down before starting the draw. Any suggestions?
Also need to draw with shoulders level instead of throwing the right shoulder up and leaning foreward to start draw to get the same feeling.
4. I wish I didnt have to think about keeping those hooks (fingers) relaxed as there pulled by the rope (forearm) that is being pulled by the lever (elbow) which is being moved by the engine (back) at 20 like I do at 10.

We have 3 wk break between indoor leagues right now and I recommitted to working back from 10 yrds. Start off with 20 shots from ten then move back to my max range for 60Xs. Finally got my first 60X at 15 yards day before yesterday but dropped one yesterday and one today so its back to 12.5 tomorrow. Man its tough not jumping back to 20 to see how Im doing and I sure would like to shoot somemore 3d before seasons over though.

You asked:)

·
Registered
972 Posts
I also work at ten yards, it almost seems as though you can relax more, I dont know why. Another thing that really helps me is videotaping my form. wow I learn so much about what I really look like, compared to what I think I look like:D

D

·
0 Posts
OX...

...man, feel like the plague or something:( ...

...THANKS CLAYKING for getting the post going again after I threw the wet blanket on it earlier today:( ...kinda poster I am I guess...wet blanket DeereMan:( ...

...10 yards where did it take you today???:) ...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here we go...

man...I just knew this thread was going to eventually head in that direction. This is NOT about Ralph. I just gave the author credit for the words he wrote.

But I cannot control what you guys want to write about -- just not my intention to go in that direction and bring up old news.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Granted, I don't know what you all are doing at 10 yards, but for me personally, I seem to be able to pinpoint problems at 50 yards, where imperfections are amplified. So what are you doing at 10 yards? I'd be interested to hear. If I could get away with making a 20 yard round trip every few arrows rather than a 1000 yard round trip, I'd be all over it! It's just too daggon hot down here right now

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike - ten yard shooting is sorta like blank bail (maybe the same) in the sense that you are just working on form and hardly (or not) aiming.

When you are aiming, you may not notice some of the form flaws taking place.

Paul is the master of this topic and may be able to fill out this thread.:D

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Shooter Mike;

"I seem to be able to pinpoint problems at 50 yards,"

You are right, shooting long distances identifies problems (especially form problems). As it has been frequently said, what works at 18m doesn't necessarily work at 90m.

10 yard (m) practice is more of a confidence builder, than a catch-all that will solve all your problems. It is a different type of practice than blind shooting, different goals. You build your confidence and your shot sequence rhythm. It will make you sloppy though if you do it exclusively. It's a good idea to mix in a variety of distances in practice, such as jumping between 10 yard & 20 yard for practicing indoors.

-CG

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Another thing that helps some is raising the target up high. Simulate the body position you need to shoot further targets. Like 70m-90m fita shooting.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,411 Posts
Ian said:
Another thing that helps some is raising the target up high. Simulate the body position you need to shoot further targets. Like 70m-90m fita shooting.
That's a good point. I try to move my target height around so I don't get muscle bound at one height/position.

I was also humbled tonight at 10 yards with a 22X 300 Vegas but then I followed it up with a 28X 300. Hadn't really shot full sized faces in quite a while and it showed starting off.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oxford...............Paul is definately the master of the blank baling with a target. If we ever start a blank baling league, he will whip us all.

A 22x-300 at 10 yds.:cool: Now that is impressive.:D

How in the world did we ever decide that blank baling with a target was like blank baling without a target.

We need to get rid of the target. It is the root of the problem.

That's like being almost pregnant.:confused:

·
Occam's Razor
8,312 Posts
archeryworld said:
Oxford...............Paul is definately the master of the blank baling with a target. If we ever start a blank baling league, he will whip us all.

A 22x-300 at 10 yds.:cool: Now that is impressive.:D

How in the world did we ever decide that blank baling with a target was like blank baling without a target.

We need to get rid of the target. It is the root of the problem.

That's like being almost pregnant.:confused:
I so agree, to work specific items, remove the target......but alas, not so much fun.........more like work...and no one wants to do that, especially me........:rolleyes:

Anyone have any fun games for blank baling?............ck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts