Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take this as awareness or warning, archery may make you become addicted. For me this first came when at 8 years old, I saw the film of Robin Hood. I went home and made a bow and shot maple0l arrows. Or maybe it was when I got my first Ben Pearson recurve at the hardware store. Or was it in 1969 when I went to the first NFAA club in Manassas Va ( Cub Run archers) or was it the first shoot I attended for 3D. Maybe this is a normal for some people. I do not know but over the years I still shoot both recurves and compounds. On any month, week, or day I can be found either shoot, or thinking about archery or hunting. Now at 62 I am trying to go back to NFAA FS shooting or 3D, I got a new bow and in the process of getting it setup. I have the hunting bow ready for that special opening day of Oct 15...My wife of 38 years think that boys will be boys and just are plain nuts when it comes to fishing, hunting and the number 1 is archery. I now have made my grandkids also nuts, love to come to grandpa house to shoot the bow on the 3D range. So tell me how you got into archery and are you into addiction....so remember when you get the urge just call a friend, go shoot a few arrows, or look at the new bow lines or plan that hunting trip and call me in the morning...

thanks SOB

·
74,535 Posts
Tell Me

This place is addicting to me. Archers are just good people for the most part. Shot my first bow when I was 22yrs old. Some 23 yrs ago. Still shoot all the time. Now these folks here got me shooting indoor and field. Im hooked and cant wait for indoor season.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I know the feeling

I started off bow hunting. Now I am in a 3 Step Program for Archery. Thanks Nino. If I had only known what I know now......

I would have never stopped shooting after I graduated high school and I sure would have taken up target archery alot sooner.:D Archery is the best DISIPLINE (it's not a sport) out there.

·
Registered
303 Posts
We are addicted!!!

My husband and I are definitely obsessed with archery!! It has become our life. :eek:
Now that we are really into it, some of our family members don't come around to shoot with us as much. I personally think it is because I can beat them now. :D They don't like to be beaten by a woman. :p My husband says I scare them away. LOL :rolleyes: We are both content with shooting together and my hubby doesn't care if I beat him sometimes. Although he would prefer if he beat me. ;) We love to compete against each other. Good luck with your shooting Sweet Old Bill.
By the way, to answer your question; a friend of my husband got him into archery and my husband got me into archery.
Robin (LadyRobinHood)

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,698 Posts
Hi, My name is Jdog and I'm a archeryholic.

·
Extreme Opinionated One
43,698 Posts
Help me!!! My shot sequence has turned into a twelve step process!!!!!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I started as an "elk-o-holic":) Then one night at a bar a guy walks in with a Cougar mag and a dozen arrows he wants to sell for $25 (late 80's), so I bought it.:p I had never shot a bow in my life. The next morning I put a box in the yard and shot it 6 for 6. 2 months later I was hunting with it. The next year I killed my first buck and have been hooked on bowhunting ever since!:D Just completed the 3rd step of my addiction in the last few years when I started competing in spots and 3-D. Oh well my wife thinks it aint all that bad of an addiction. We just got her a new bow yesterday too.:) Makes an even 6 bows in the house. Another coming for 04 though.:p

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
fruit loop

at eight-years-old I shot an arrow into the air as far as i could. a month later I found it sticking into the center of a grape fruit on a tree about a block a way -- thought that was like the coolest thing in the world. I was hooked from that point. but i never developed a taste for grape fruit.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Hey Ox, you weren't living in the city were you?

My interest in archery started as a kid, watching my dad shoot at the local sportsman's club. Someone had stolen his bow a couple years later, and he never bought another one. I wish he had gotten me into it when I turned 12.

I didn't get started into it until I was about 22, when I traded a Savage Model 24V .222/20 ga. for a PSE Nova (the first version) and all the extras. He probably got the better bargain money wise, but I think it was the best trade that I've ever made.;)

JP

·
Registered
19 Posts
1st step

you first have to admit it, which you have.......then you just keep up the perfect practice until the next meeting(tournament)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts