Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this awesome website about a month ago and have been reading a lot of threads and learning a bunch.

I've been shooting my 101st Airborne all Summer and things were going really well until a few weeks ago. I had a new Winner's Choice string put on the bow in December.

My buddy and I went to a 3-D shoot and probably shot at least 100 arrows. The shoot went good and we came back home ready to switch to broadheads and get dialed in for hunting season (which starts a week from Saturday). Anyway, we get back and all of a sudden my peep is turning sideways and everything is screwed up. I've tried several things and taken it to two shops to have it worked on. The last shop put "one and a half or two" twists in the string and said it was good to go...and, well it's not quite there. I put a new D-loop on and it's close, but I still have to give my peep a little twist almost every time. I shot about 50 times today with good results as far as accuracy goes.

There are a couple of things that, after reading many threads, may have caused this...either the flimsy loop the guy put on there when I bought the new string that kept flopping sideways everytime I'd shoot did something, or the string got really hot sitting in the black case in the back of the truck for the 20 hour round trip to the 3-D shoot.

So I guess the question is this do I keep fussing with this string or do I just say heck with it and buy a new one and start over?

Also, after reading as many threads as I could find I'm considering going with a Vapor Trail string. Any thoughts on that choice would be appreciated.

I'm buck hunting in a week and a half and I'm pretty confident that I can get through a couple of weeks making sure my peep is straight.

BUT in three and a half weeks I'm elk hunting and my peep is one thing I definitely don't want to worry about with everything else that's going on chasing those guys around.

Thanks and any thoughts are much appreciated.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
Sounds like your peep is very close to being right on. Maybe just a half twist off. Did the person twisting the string go from both ends or just one? I'm pretty sure you don't need to buy a new string. A good tuner can have that thing back on in short order. You can't just twist it and say "good to go". It needs to be shot many times afterwards to make sure it settles in the right spot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input Steve and that's a great article. I added the page to my favorites and I'm going to print it out and share it with my buddies.

I might give the guy that put the twists in my string one more chance. I don't think he twisted both ends. My problem is that the shop I want to use is almost two hours away and the shop that I'm leery of is only 20 minutes. I've come to the conclusion that I need my own bow press. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts