Archery Talk Forum banner

Thinking about getting a recurve.

602 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  big cypress
Me curiosity for traditional archery is starting to get the better of me and I am now thinking of getting a recurve.

I have never shot a recurve bow so I have no idea what poundage I should be getting.

I currently shoot my compound bows at 60 and 70 lbs, but I was guessing I should go with less poundage with a recurve.

Any tips on what I should be starting out with?

I don't want to get one that is too heavy and I am not able to shoot it well, but I also don't want to get one that will be on the light side after some practice.

Thanks,

Nacho
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7,556 Posts
You'll surely get a few diffferent opinions here. 40-45# to start. It's enough to kill with but also more importantly when starting out, enough to shoot comfortably. The only way to learn how to shoot a stick bow, is to have one your not struggling to draw, and hold at anchor. I could go on and on.
Have fun.

· Registered
12,124 Posts
Try and find a nice used one around 45 pounds or so. Heavy enough for hunting, not too heavy for the average adult male to start out with. Longer bows are usually nicer to shoot too. A 60" - 62" bow is a nice length. My favorite recurve at the moment is a 64"er.

· Registered
10,923 Posts
I'm more of the light bow to learn 30-35#max, then move to a 40 or 45# bow. It is much easier to learn on a bow that is 5# too light than a bow that is 5# too heavy. Search around on this forum you will find lots of helpful posts. I highly recommend getting the book "Shooting the Stickbow" and reading it before you spend any money on a bow or trad accessories. Be patient, learn to shoot with good form and you will be shooting good before you know it.

· Registered
2,272 Posts
i agree, lighter is better. way better. start cheap and light. used bows on ebay can be had tyd for well under a hundred. If you get into it and decide to hunt later, get a hunting bow. Keep the light one for continued form work, its a never ending task ;)

· Registered
5,988 Posts
Get an ILF riser, and buy 2 sets of limbs... one set at or around 30# to train with... and another in the 45# weight range for hunting. You can pcik up a brand new Hoyt Excel riser (blackout) for around $150 and limbs for $75 (KAP Trex or other brands). Shop around...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.