Archery Talk Forum banner

Thinking about making some arrows

379 3
I just traded an old bracer and got some left wing feathers, so now I might as well start gathering info on building arrows and fletching.

Do I need to spine or weigh my shafts?

The runout faces up and points at the target when nocked on the string, right?

Are fancy woods better then cedar, I see Forrester Wood Shafts selling a variety of choices.

Tapered shafts yea/nay?

I've found Surewood Shafts, and Forrester Wood Shafts, and I'm sure there are plenty more, any good bad experiences, any better choices?

Everyone I've talked to says the Bitzenburger arrow fletching jig is king, so I'll probably start looking for a used one, do these break or wear out, I'm guessing they last forever.

A guy recently told me to use minwax polycrylic mixed with whatever acrylic paint color for the crown dip, is this better then the gasket sealer and crown dip paints, any other suggestions.

Do feather shapes make much difference, I'm guessing the parabolic or banana might be quieter, but is it perceivable?

Any other tips/tricks welcome.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,551 Posts
Depends on your expectations.

Tapered is better.

Spine is critical, weight is secondary at traditional distances.

The better you can tune, the less feathers matter. Use what you think looks good.

Wood arrows start out crooked until you straighten them. Over time they try to return to crooked, you need to maintain them.

· Registered
346 Posts
You will definitely need to choose the spine of your shafts to appropriately match your bow. You need to consider draw weight, draw length, center shot of the bow.

The wood you choose can be any one of many. Consider whether you want/need a heavier arrow or lighter. Lots of of options out there. Personally I keep coming back to POC for most of my arrows but lots of folks prefer sitka spruce, douglas fir and others. For heavier arrows that are very durable consider ash or hickory. I use ash for stump shooting because it is almost indestructible but it is heavy. So is hickory.

Tapered shafts? I vote yea.

For a finish there are a lot of options. Just avoid mixing oil vs water based stuff. Gasket lacquer works well but the polycrylic is also a good sealer and more convenient to get and use in my opinion. Consider the possibility of Rit dye mixed in alcohol for staining the shafts.

The Bitz jig is the Cadillac but other similar and good ones have come along. My Bitz is about 25 years old and still going strong.

· Registered
785 Posts
Go to Addictive Archery you tube channel and watch his very comprehensive videos on arrow building. He has the best supply and prices for building arrows. I suggest a starter set that will include 4 arrows of your spine choice. I prefer the tapered Doug Fir shafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.