Archery Talk Forum banner

Thinking about trading from Compound to Traditional? Advice?

567 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Kittywolf13
Ok so i got into archery a few months back. I bought a Parker Buckshot Compound bow. its a 30-40# set at 30#'s and a draw length of 25".

I've shot it only a few times and got very discouraged. I know there are lots factors such as form, wind, arrows, distance from target etc. But the thing im actually most frustrated with is actually my Sights. (which is one of those things thats spoused to make a compound easier.) It seems like no matter how i adjust things, even at like 15 yards or less, my grouping is still bad. I only have my bf to site me and hes a new to the hobby too, and i cant afford to go to a range because im unemployed and the nearest range is like an hour+ drive away.

SOOO this may sound crazy but i was thinking of actually trading my compound for a traditional. I don't know why, it seemed to me like i had better form and hit the target better with a traditional bow then i was using my compound and using sites. (but this was years ago, with a simple fiberglass bow.) However i know i have to do some research on this, but dont know where to begin.

But im not happy with the one i have now, its fine weight wise, draw weight wise, length and everything...but for some reason im not happy. I'm curious to know if id be happier with a traditional bow?

I'm seeking advice from all you traditional bow users! I don't intend on hunting with it, so a lightweight bow recommendation is fine. Id prefer something not too terribly expensive....or do you guys think im crazy? or are some people just more traditional bow-man then compound bow-man??

Help please!! :confused:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
608 Posts
Consistancy is the name of the game. And to get consistant takes practice. Most new shooters whether wheel bow or trad style experience what you are going through. Go to the library or search teh web for articles n proper shooting form and technique. Her's a few things to think about. Anchor point, consistant every time. Release. Smooth and even. Relax the fingers. Do not jerl or pull the fingers away. Just relaax em. Follow through. Keep the left arm pointed at the target after the shot. Peeking, you may be looking to see where the arorow is going as you release..

· Registered
132 Posts
I do not wish to discourage you from switching to traditional. However, if you are having trouble grouping your shots with a compound, I have to think that you will have even more difficulty with a recurve or longbow.

I suspect that either your sights are not properly adjusted or that you are moving your bow hand during the shot. A steady bow hand is essential to accuracy whether you shoot a compound or a traditional bow. It is a problem I struggle with myself. I find that concentrating on holding the bow hand steady until the arrow reaches the target helps. If you even think about dropping the bow hand the motion will start before the arrow has cleared the bow.

I also find that I tend to move my bow hand more as a result of fatigue following a long shooting session. Usually after 60 or 70 shots. Work on improving your upper body strength, especially your back muscles. There is no let-off on a traditional bow.

· Registered
10,066 Posts
Buying another bow isn't necessary. If the sight seems to be the problem, try taking it off, and shooting instinctively. Then you know it's jsut a matter of practice if you're not hitting, not adjusting your bow.

You'll be able to shoot more with the bow's let off, but you'll be able to shoot as if it were a traditional bow. There are lots of guys on here that can help you with proper form, too.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice...maybe i will try and remove the sights. I had honestly not thought of doing so. :eek:

· Registered
108 Posts
I used to shoot compounds and the wife never showed any interest. After switching to Trad she started showing interst. Ends up she didn't like all the "sights and junk". Too much "gadgets" for her.:eek:
Got her a long bow from Mike Mcready of MadDog Archery. It's 30# @ 25", and just a plain longbow with nothing extra. She loves it. She knows there's nothing to blame it on but herself. Paid $100 for the bow, and $50 for a dozen arrows. She's had it almost a year now and I've offered to get her another bow but she says "No, I like my bow". Can't beat that.:wink:
I think you'd be better off with the "simple" longbow, or recurve, to start. Keep it simple, and have fun doing it. Good luck:cheers:

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to shoot compounds and the wife never showed any interest. After switching to Trad she started showing interst. Ends up she didn't like all the "sights and junk". Too much "gadgets" for her.:eek:
Got her a long bow from Mike Mcready of MadDog Archery. It's 30# @ 25", and just a plain longbow with nothing extra. She loves it. She knows there's nothing to blame it on but herself. Paid $100 for the bow, and $50 for a dozen arrows. She's had it almost a year now and I've offered to get her another bow but she says "No, I like my bow". Can't beat that.:wink:
I think you'd be better off with the "simple" longbow, or recurve, to start. Keep it simple, and have fun doing it. Good luck:cheers:
I'm gonna remove my sights and see how i like that. I may move to traditional later on when im more financially stable. but i think maybe if i remove most of the gadgets i might be happier. sometimes simplier is better...and since i dont intend on hunting it would make sense.

But thank you, thats excatly what i was looking for...someone who might have felt the same way i do. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.