Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needs some help here. I shoot about 62 lbs to 65 lbs, 27 inch draw, Z7 with single cam. What size of aluminum shaft, would be the BEST all around for hunting whitetail. I will be shooting 30 yd's or less. Also which fletching 4 inch or 2 inch? Shooting slick tricks and G5 tekan's What length should I have the shafts cut at? Rest is a QAD HD. 75's or 78's? Please feel free to suggest, if you have or are a aluminum shaft shooter. Thanks

·
Registered
519 Posts
I would shoot 125 grian head with a 2315 xx78 or the xx75 both are good arrows. 2314 if you want lighter. IMO

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you have a QAD or ripcord you don't want to shoot 2 inch vanes on a fat shaft like the aluminums. You will most likely get rest contact no matter what you do. I will be sticking with the XX75s and 4" feathers with right helical. You can't beat the price of aluminums. I can buy 3 dozen XX75's for the same price as a dozen ACC's that I'm trying out now. I have never had an aluminum shaft bend or break that wouldn't have resulted in a splintered carbon shaft when hitting a tree or a rock. I currently shoot 125 grain Magnus broadheads but will be moving up to 150 grains for more foc. I will probably just use the same 125 grain head and use a 25 grain brass washer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I shoot xx78 2213's out of my Destroyer 340 cut to 28". Its set at 62 lbs.They weigh about 436 grs. with 100 gr. tips and shoot awesome,VERY forgiving and accurate.I dont regret switching back at all.

·
Registered
736 Posts
your set up is close to mine...single cam 65# shoot a 2315 @ 29" I have them cut a bit short for BH use .as they are just past the rest...for safty reasons they should be 1" past back of bow...but it is your hand

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like xx78s'. my bow is set at 63lbs and I use 100 grain target tips and broadheads. I too was thinking about going back to aluminum but when I priced a dozen xx78s' vs. ics hunter they were almost the same price. The only advantage I found is that you can actually remove the aluminums from 3D targets.

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,380 Posts
Your poundage and D/L are pretty close to mine. I shoot 2314's and if you want to go with a smaller dia. shaft that's 12gpi. try the 2117's. You will be close on the 2117's because they are .400 spine but I group well with them. Of course I say all of this, but just before the season I always chicken out and sight in the acc's, but if I were to hunt with a all aluminum shaft I would opt for the 2117's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts