Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last couple of years, my shoulders have started bothering me, not horrible but definitely noticeable. I have always shot 70lbs but thinking of dropping to 60 next year. Those of you that have done this what are your thoughts? Couldn't tell much difference? Pin gaps change much? Noticeable difference in penetration on animals? Glad you made the switch? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2,784 Posts
Do not hesitate to get a bow that is comfortable to shoot. Comfortable equals enjoyable. Enjoyable equals more time shooting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

· Registered
5,500 Posts
Do it. Your body will thank you, and you won’t see a difference that you’ll regret. From the stand, you’ll really be impressed with ease of draw and holding.

I never understood men who would go in an demand a 70lb bow, but then back it down 61-64lbs. I guess since the limb said 70lb, it made them a man?

· Registered
Bowtech SR6
330 Posts
Considering it myself for next year I’ve shot 70 for so long I just never thought of anything else when it came time to buy a bow. I still have no problem drawing 70 when cold or not but I’m trying to think for the future and get ahead of any shoulder problems if it is not to late .. I honestly can’t find a downside to dropping to 60 the more I think about it

· Registered
5,626 Posts
I went to 60 lb limbs 7 years ago and have never looked back. I too had no trouble pulling 70, but didn’t want to have future shoulder trouble. I shoot what some would consider a very heavy arrow. An arrow in the 450-500 grain range shouldn’t make your pin gaps too big.

· Registered
698 Posts
I have been shooting 60lbs for about 10 years. I get a 60lb bow and tighten it up all the way, usually ends up 62 to 64lbs. Seems like that is the most efficient for the bow. Bows are so much more efficient now than just 10 years ago. A 60lb bow today is just as fast as a 70lb bow 10 years ago maybe faster. Shooting a light arrow I can get around 300 fps. I have moved much heavier this year and barely had to move my pins. There is no reason not too, unless your a speed junky. I get pass throughs on all my deer with my set up.

· Registered
820 Posts
What I did was drop from 70 to 60 for competition and 3D. And have a backup and hunting bow at 65. With today’s efficient bows well tuned .70-80 lbs. bows are on the overkill side. Save your shoulders or switch to a crossbow.

· Registered
2,661 Posts
I have been on that curve to. As a dumber young buck I shot 70#s

Got a 65# bow three years ago. Loved it

Picked up a 60# target bow this year and it’s been the best bow! Easy to pull. Easy to aim. Slow and quiet. A real killer rig.
Pushing a 430gn arrow fast enough for me. 265- probably

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,454 Posts
I switched to 60 a few years ago. I'm sorry I didnt do it sooner as I waited till I was dealing with shoulder pain to do it. I'm hunting 55 pounds this year and had a clean pass thru at 32 yards. I'm 100% confident on this poundage for whitetails. No regrets at all. I believe I'd drop to 45 before I'd pick up a crossbow.

· Premium Member
10,191 Posts
I see no reason to draw anymore poundage than needed and 60lbs is plenty. I developed an injury from years of shooting high poundages and hard cams that were popular years ago. My injury was not so well known but does happen from shooting compounds. The connection of the collarbone to breast bone gets damaged and the connective tissue becomes scared, when a tear happens healing takes a long time. I felt a bit of pain when shooting but it would go away after shooting a bit so I thought it was OK until I felt a big lump there as the pain got worse when shooting. Had I realized what was happening and caught it I would have been ok. I never heard of such a thing but later found others that had it happen to them. Although it’s rare it happens. It doesn’t seem to happen with non compound bows and I have no problem shooting recurves and long bows.
When I shoot a compound I am shooting a softer cam at 50lbs.

· Registered
30,565 Posts
I shot around 70# as a young buck, then 60# recurves for 30+ years. These days a 60# compound is plenty and I blow through both turkeys and deer with a comfortable draw cycle. The worst-case-scenario folks that recommend 600gr arrows and single bevel heads for whitetails might think differently, but many of us don't live for "what if" as much as what is common.

· The Impartial Archer
24,835 Posts
Stop thinking about it and just do it......lol. If you are thinking about it you should. There is a big misconception that you need XX amount to hunt with and while more draw weight has advantages there is no reason you can't hunt with less.

The only reason you can't is if you don't understand how to setup correctly for the weight you are at. Good luck

· Registered
2,427 Posts
I switched to 60 a few years ago. I'm sorry I didnt do it sooner as I waited till I was dealing with shoulder pain to do it. I'm hunting 55 pounds this year and had a clean pass thru at 32 yards. I'm 100% confident on this poundage for whitetails. No regrets at all. I believe I'd drop to 45 before I'd pick up a crossbow.
I unfortunately had to switch to a crossbow this year. Been fighting shoulder pain for years. Can't hold the bow back anymore.

Here is my observance on hunting with a crossbow. I think grabbing my compound and going to full draw was easier than the crossbow. I'm not just saying this because I had to switch I'm saying this because it is my opinion.
Shots on your right side (if you are right handed) with a crossbow are very hard to get into position for, especially if you are caught sitting in stand...
In the timber you arent taking 60 yard shots because of impediments (at least the places I hunt).
You still have to know how to hunt, read deer sign, be scent conscious etc etc.

I was really down in the dumps earlier this year because of my shoulder problem and one of my good friends said to me.... you have nothing to prove to yourself or anyone else about what kind of bow you use. It made sense to me and here we are.....no regrets.

· Registered
415 Posts
I have 60 and 70 pound Evolve 31’s. The 60 has LL mods and the 70 has HL mods, the holding weight is similar. That way I can shoot the lighter bow for practice. Switching back and forth is easy. I’ll end up taking the 70# for elk season next year while using the 60 for whitetail.

I’m glad I made the switch, plenty of power at around 350 ibo. I should be sending 435 gr arrows at 270 or so out of the 60#’er.

· Premium Member
10,191 Posts
I unfortunately had to switch to a crossbow this year. Been fighting shoulder pain for years. Can't hold the bow back anymore.

Here is my observance on hunting with a crossbow. I think grabbing my compound and going to full draw was easier than the crossbow. I'm not just saying this because I had to switch I'm saying this because it is my opinion.
Shots on your right side (if you are right handed) with a crossbow are very hard to get into position for, especially if you are caught sitting in stand...
In the timber you arent taking 60 yard shots because of impediments (at least the places I hunt).
You still have to know how to hunt, read deer sign, be scent conscious etc etc.

I was really down in the dumps earlier this year because of my shoulder problem and one of my good friends said to me.... you have nothing to prove to yourself or anyone else about what kind of bow you use. It made sense to me and here we are.....no regrets.
After switching to traditional bare bow I believe a compound is much closer to a crossbow that I ever thought.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.