Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering trying a drop away rest, and I will admit that it will be the first one to go on one of my bows. I have been doing some research on these rests, and the fact that their are so many to choose from doesn't make my first time decision any easier. So what I am looking for is some honest feedback and opinions on what you with experience using these rests can offer me. So basically, tell me what you use, why you like it, and help me make a good choice. I want something rock solid, dependable, quiet, and easy to set up. I have found out that some rests attach differently to the cables and some work better than others. So please give me some choices and advice on setting up what you suggest and I would really appreciate it. This will be going on a 05 Ultratec, and I will be shooting goldtip prohunter shafts with blazer vanes. If you need any other information about my set-up, just tell me. Thanks to all and good luck. Bhunter32.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
you didn't say whether your using it for hunting or competition.
if hunting keep it simple and solid:
trophy taker= simple,solid dependable
trophy ridge dropzone= quiet, dependable
i have the trophy taker and love it, just took a littlt moleskin on the underside of launcher to quiet it.
my brother in law has the dropzone and couldn't be happier.
there are a lot of good rests out there.
do a search on any your intrested in and maybe that will narrow your choices. good luck. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can sell what ever there is out there and there is only one that graces my shelves and that is the Montana gold trap door.

Check into it is all I can say.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Gkf Tko

If you are just getting into drop away rests and you are looking to buy one that is high quality & inexpensive I would check out the Golden Key Futura TKO. It is easy to set up, rock solid, quiet and very dependable. It also has the advantage that if you decide that you don't like shooting it as a drop away it can also be used as a regular prong or lizard tongue rest. GKF also has tons of other launchers that can be easily gotten that can be used on this rest, no other brand rest can offer this much diversity for one rest. Add to that the fact that the TKO is around $50.00 and it should be an easy decision. One other thing, the TKO can be used as a left or right hand rest.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry, I forgot to say that I will use this primarily for hunting. Keep em' coming, and thanks to all.

·
32,711 Posts
Since it's for hunting go with the QAD, Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter or the WB (which is not a fall-a-way) but a good rest for hunting.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Drop Away

I own 2 Trophy Ridge dropzones and love them both. My hunting bow doubles as my 3D bow and the Trophy Ridge has worked great for me. I also have one on my indoor spot bow. Both rests are quiet and rock solid. A buddy of mine has 2 of them also and has had no problems with them what so ever. We have both been using them for about 17 or 18 months. The only thing that I don't like is the $100 price tag. I bought both of mine from Ebay and got a lot better deal. You could also check this site out. I have also heard nothing but good thing about the Trophy Taker, but I have not tried one yet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Trophy Taker

Even though I use NAP QT drop away's. I'd go with the TT rest, I've had to make some changes to mine that I don't think you want to go and do, so try the TT or the new one by Cobra, that one also loooks very easy to aet up, and solid looking construction.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I tried a TT and just could not quiet it down. The launcher rattled on the bolt that it rides on. I would highly recommend the GKF TKO, or for a bit more money the Infiniti. For the money the TKO is the best buy, and if you end up not likeing the drop away idea (which i highly doubt), you can quickly convert it over to a springy or blade launcher rest. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I'm using a Ripcord on my vtec and have had great luck shooting acc's and blazers through it!!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
what rest are you using now?? most 2 prong rests, like the mathews rest or golden keys, can convert easily to drop aways. they work very good, and its a great choice if you just want to experiment. i converted my 3D rover several years ago, and it has never failed.

·
Registered
882 Posts
doesn't matter which one as they all drop away. i use a cobra woodsman with sealed bearing and i reversed the spring and attatched a chord. it works as well as any of the expensive ones and it cost me 20 bucks. like many others i use some fur on the shelf for silence. once you use a drop away you'll never go back. the accuracy is unbeleivable on a well tuned bow. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
882 Posts
Mexican 3D said:
what rest are you using now?? most 2 prong rests, like the mathews rest or golden keys, can convert easily to drop aways. they work very good, and its a great choice if you just want to experiment. i converted my 3D rover several years ago, and it has never failed.
i did the same and never botherred to get a "proper one" as the converted cobra is as good as it gets as far as accuracy and dependability. ;) on my other bow i converted a quicktune 800.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Drop away...

Everybody has their favorites...all those listed here are great and will more than likey work great for you...but having said that...I would go with the QAD Ultra Rest. For a drop away (for me personally) it has been the quietest, smoothest, most accurate, simplest, and fool proof drop away rest I have used. And total containment in the "cocked" position. Nice feature to have while hunting/stalking. But still...we all have our favorites and would swear by what we use, but all those listed here have their benefits and work quite well. Good luck! Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
As far as drop away goes, Mach 4 inertia activated fall away is tops! No linkage, no cords, no nothing. It just falls away. When the string hits brace, it falls. Period. Very easy set up and very easy tuning.

I have a Mach 4 I might be willing to sell. I'm going to a Whisker Biscuit for hunting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mze

I have tried 4 different kinds of drop a way rests & Muzzy Zero Effect is my first choice. Trophy Ridge Drop Zone would be second. I didn't care for ones that had to be cocked or ones that hit the shelf when they fell. Whatever you choose I don't think you will go back to a fixed rest once you have it properly set up. Hope this helps, Vern

1 - 20 of 26 Posts