Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as the title says I'm thinking of switching it up. Well, after the season that is. I'm currently running Q2i fusion X-II 2.1's, and I'm thinking about trying the SL version to save a little weight on back. Other considerations are the AAE Hybrid 23, 26, or 2.0 shield cut. I 4 fletch everything, yes I know that's probably overkill, but it makes me happy 馃槄 between firenocks, short wraps, and vanes I'm at about 53 grains in back. I'd rather not eliminate the firenocks. Anyone have experience with these vanes? Do you think they'd steer broadheads okay to 60? I'm running Exodus' at the moment. Thanks!

Registered
Our go-to in the shop this year has been AAE Hybrid 23 in 4 fletch offset to your personal taste. Seems everyone getting arrows made this year wants this setup.

Registered
I get that. I shoot them until most of it falls off. I run 4 2" batwings and the weight around 6 gr.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our go-to in the shop this year has been AAE Hybrid 23 in 4 fletch offset to your personal taste. Seems everyone getting arrows made this year wants this setup.
Thats what I think my next one will be. Pretty sure thats what my girlfriends father is running and he didnt have anything bad to say about them. I generally like the 75/105 offset. Any adhesion issues or tips with them?

Registered
Thats what I think my next one will be. Pretty sure thats what my girlfriends father is running and he didnt have anything bad to say about them. I generally like the 75/105 offset. Any adhesion issues or tips with them?
Nope no issues. Use 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean the shaft, primer pen on the vanes(even though they're supposed to be pre-primed) and a good FRESH super glue. Should be good to go.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope no issues. Use 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean the shaft, primer pen on the vanes(even though they're supposed to be pre-primed) and a good FRESH super glue. Should be good to go.
Oh okay. I've been using the loctite ultra gel and that stuff is like cement on the q2i's. On bareshaft I could rip it off with my fingers with a lot of effort, but since I started using wraps you've gotta get the wrap off to get them off.

Registered
Hey guys, as the title says I'm thinking of switching it up. Well, after the season that is. I'm currently running Q2i fusion X-II 2.1's, and I'm thinking about trying the SL version to save a little weight on back. Other considerations are the AAE Hybrid 23, 26, or 2.0 shield cut. I 4 fletch everything, yes I know that's probably overkill, but it makes me happy 馃槄 between firenocks, short wraps, and vanes I'm at about 53 grains in back. I'd rather not eliminate the firenocks. Anyone have experience with these vanes? Do you think they'd steer broadheads okay to 60? I'm running Exodus' at the moment. Thanks!
For every 5 grains on the back, you need like 20-25 grains on the front to keep that FOC up. I'm not saying you need some really high FOC, but there's plenty of tests that show that you can increase penetration and improve flight in some situations, if you get in that reasonable 14-15% range. And you don't want to add so much weight to the front to compensate that you end up with an arrow that is unnecessarily slower than it needs to be.

So my advice would be, don't use anything on the back you don't absolutely need. If you 4 fletch, then use the lightest vanes possible, and you'd be better off with something a little taller and 3 fletch to achieve same effect. Wraps, if you have to use them, stick to 4" without printing to reduce weight. Lighted nocks, if you feel it helps you confirm the impact and find the arrow to verify impact, just understand you added like 17 extra grains to the back and that requires you add like 50 upfront.

Reactions: RomaDoma

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive only ever used q2i and im not sure i could ever use something else. They just stick so easy and do not budge
Oh I know. I've got a drawer full of different q2i vanes and you're right, they stick easy and strong. I think I'm going to try the 2.1 SL and the 1.75 standard height. I'm not too sure why Q2i doesnt get more attention.
Like I said though I'm not switching till after the season/when I get one. Also knowing I'll have to build new arrows once I get a new bow.

Registered
Revolt-X//Hogg Father Double Pin//QAD rest//Carter Release//Victory RIP-VX
I have run the hybrid 23 4-fletch on my victory shafts. They fly very well but I did not try them with a BH. Made up some 4-fletch stealths to try as well but bows getting new strings this week. I ran them on a heavier arrow before along with the hybrids and found them to fly slightly better than the hybrids. But the hybrids are faster.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For every 5 grains on the back, you need like 20-25 grains on the front to keep that FOC up. I'm not saying you need some really high FOC, but there's plenty of tests that show that you can increase penetration and improve flight in some situations, if you get in that reasonable 14-15% range. And you don't want to add so much weight to the front to compensate that you end up with an arrow that is unnecessarily slower than it needs to be.

So my advice would be, don't use anything on the back you don't absolutely need. If you 4 fletch, then use the lightest vanes possible, and you'd be better off with something a little taller and 3 fletch to achieve same effect. Wraps, if you have to use them, stick to 4" without printing to reduce weight. Lighted nocks, if you feel it helps you confirm the impact and find the arrow to verify impact, just understand you added like 17 extra grains to the back and that requires you add like 50 upfront.
Good advice here that I'm trying to follow. Right now I'm at 470 total weight and if I recall just over 12% foc. I'm hoping if I shave 5 grains off the back, i can add a little on front and have a slightly heavier arrow with closer to a 480 gr arrow.

Registered
Revolt-X//Hogg Father Double Pin//QAD rest//Carter Release//Victory RIP-VX

Absolutely great point and To your point I run a 75gn brass insert on a very light shaft to get that FOC right at about 16% with 4 fletch at the rear.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Absolutely great point and To your point I run a 75gn brass insert on a very light shaft to get that FOC right at about 16% with 4 fletch at the rear.
My current setup is: 100 gr point, 50 gr HIT, 10 gr iron will collar, RIP TKO's @ 8.8 gpi, 4.5 gr 4" wrap, 2.1 q2i @ 6.9 in a 4 fletch and firenock @ 21 gr

Registered

Registered
Have used Flex Fletch since the 70's & there is no problem why try to fix it. Have not had to refletch my X10 Pro Tours for 2 years & shoot them almost every day. Use wraps with Loc-Tite blue gel & stick like welded.

The Impartial Archer
With all the shaft GPI choices IMO there is no need to go to all this trouble with vanes. Just use the ones you want to and then get the appropriate tip to get the desired FOC. Once you do that then use the shaft GPI to get the TAW you want. OP you are dealing with very small numbers here in reality by just changing around short vanes. Maybe 10 grains of that 53 but that might even be a stretch.

In the end you'll see nothing that really matters..........it's the wraps and lighted nock that are killing you not the vanes....and that extra vane too. So go to a lighter GPI shaft and do it right.

My 4 inch Trad vanes only weight about 6 grains so 3 of those would probably weigh less than 4 of the little ones you are using. So 3 longer vanes would be less weight and offer more steering.........the fad 4 thing is overblown.

Registered
I have been using the AAE max stealth vanes in 3 fletch and have been happy with them. I am thinking about switching to TAC vanes though to drop a little weight and increase FOC.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts