Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been bow hunting for about 25 years with compounds. I started out learning on a recurve when i was very young and shot a long bow for years as a kid i still have that bow. Lately i have been thinking about hunting deer with a recurve i was looking at a bear grizzly and liked the looks and feel of it but didn't have the chance to shoot it. It is in my price range what i'm asking, are they a good bow what would be a recommended poundage i'm shooting a 60# compound now.

· Registered
81 Posts
Drop to 50#

There is no let-off with a recurve, and 50# is more than enough to kill anything in North America. I shoot 60 and 70 pund compounds, 40, 45, and 55 pound recurves and a 50 pound longbow. I can tell you from experience that shooting a 55# recurve is more work than a 70# compound. Grizzly is a good bow. I was thinking about picking one up and retiring my Kodiak since it is about 40 years old now!

· Registered
1,887 Posts
You might want to look at a Quinn or Checkmate. If your drawlength is 28 plus get a 60" bow or it will stack on you. I would get minimum weight for hunting in your state. If you get a takedown you could allways buy a heavier set of limbs later.

· Registered
21 Posts
The Grizzly is a classic in the Bear lineup. I have a 56" , 48# Grizzly that my dad shot for years. I have about six other old Bear classics including Super Grizzly, Kodiak Hunter, Kodiak Magnum, Polar, Custom Take Down. Honestly, the Grizzly is my least favorite to shoot out of all of them. It stacks terribly and seems really slow. Could just be the bow. I know it's not just about bow length because the Mag is way shorter and still smoother. I would recommend shooting it first if at all possible to make sure it's comfortable for ya.

As far as weight, recurves in the low 50's are very adequate for killing deer and much easier to shoot.

· Registered
899 Posts
Start with a light weight poundage bow first, to get the technique and form down.
After you do that, then we'll talk about about a higher poundage bow for hunting.

· Registered
21 Posts
Stack is that feeling when you are drawing a recurve and it feels like it just hits a wall at a certain point. Some bows like the Widow are very smooth all the way through. Some like that Grizz just stop. Draw a few different bows and you'll feel what I'm talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.