Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bow hunting with a buddy last night and we both use summit climbers. We ordered 2 sets of Thirdhand stabilizer straps and he primarily uses his hang ons and me the climber. I set them up on his stand and showed him how to use them and we set out into the woods for an evening hunt.

I get in the tree and get a text from him screw this I'm going back to the truck. I text back why? he says I just fell. I call him and he says he was on a slick bark tree and got up and when he went to stand on the platform from sitting on the shooting rail the bottom platform fell a few feet. I asked if he was caught by the harness and he says "No the Thirdhand straps saved me, I would have hit the ground if I didn't have those straps". For some reason he doesn't tether off when going up and down and if he hadn't had the Thirdhand stabilizer straps I honestly think I would have found my best friend laying at the base of the tree hurt or worse. Honestly I didn't think that if the straps were loose and someone dropped down on the platform it would catch them but he only weighs about 150lbs. he said when he stepped the platform fell and the straps locked and made the platform dig. I think by doing this the straps acted like they are designed to do when seated and locked everything he was also able to get to his top which he said was at almost eye level. I have since shown him how to dig the climber into the tree a little better and showed him how to lift the top, cinch them down and get into it at the base of the tree, showed him how to recover the platform if it falls but in his case when he stepped on it the base when screaming at the ground until stopped by the straps. he was able to bring the top down and climb down and find a different tree.

I'm pushing 6.5 270lbs and have full confidence in these straps. I was always a little shaky cause I have knocked the top off and it hit the bottom but no more. I have also been deep in public land with a buddy and had the bottom of a cheaper climber fall and the rope come untied. Now with these straps I don't have to worry about it. I was on a slick bark tree and my straps kept me tight last night.

Thanks Thirdhandman for making a life saving product. I don't work for or get any kickbacks for this I would just like to let guys know for $15 buy them cause one day it might save your life. if your short and light like my buddy the straps can be used for you, if your tall and heavy like me they are long enough to accommodate that also. I think before next season I will be buying all my friends a set of these.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Strange way of them working in this case but that's great !
I'm posting what he told me. I asked him after the hunt and he said as he got off the sitting/shooting rail and went to put his feet in the stirrups the platform fell and he went with it. I cant see him falling very far but he said he keeps the straps fairly loose which I don't incase of this. id say hes about 5ft6 and said the shooting rail was at head level. I cant explain it either as i wasn't there to see it but when he showed me how he keeps the straps almost all the way loose I could see him falling that far. I'm glad they grabbed. maybe thirdhandman can elaborate as he designed them.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He probably wanted to go home to change his underwear. Lol.
lol. he was shaken. I think he ended up sitting on the ground the rest of the hunt. I had him come to me before dark to show him how to use them the right way and sit the tree i was in today cause i couldn't go and he sat down on a log as i was climbing down saying man, man. I'm freaked out.

·
snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,983 Posts
well....they werent intended for that.....but I bet he's not complaining lol

speaking of not intended for that....this incident might merit replacing them just in case they were stressed too much

·
Registered
301 Posts
Was it really cold? I have never had the bottom platform of a climber "slip" down a tree, even on slick bark tree. I've knocked it loose with my feet and had it slip to rope length, but in the process of climbing and pre-loading the platform after each lift, it has never slid under load.

Aren't the design of the straps meant to stabilize the upper section of the platform with downward loading of bottom section?

·
Team Mongrel Rookie
4,509 Posts
Maybe this will convince him to climb while attached to the tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I know how he felt. I had a very similar experience this year. I got in a rush and didn't tether at the bottom of the tree. I got to about 18 to 20 feet. Pretty much had a foot to go. I set down on the bar and the thing lets go and the top part slams down. I pretty much slammed down to sitting on my heels. I have never been so shooken up in my life. The one time I didn't tether was the one time it taught me why i should tether even when running late! I recovered and stood there for 5 minutes with my head against the tree. I settled in and about 15 minutes later I was packing up and going back home.

It only takes one time and that was so close to being my one time.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was it really cold? I have never had the bottom platform of a climber "slip" down a tree, even on slick bark tree. I've knocked it loose with my feet and had it slip to rope length, but in the process of climbing and pre-loading the platform after each lift, it has never slid under load.

Aren't the design of the straps meant to stabilize the upper section of the platform with downward loading of bottom section?
yeah it was low 20s last night. as I said this is what he told me. I kept saying how do you fall out of a climber? lol. he said the bottom fell. I'm assuming he didn't step on it to dig the teeth.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

yes I believe so. I think the top helped more. I'm still thinking how the heck does this even happen but he didn't even go out today because I couldn't go and was a little shaken. I think the straps more kept him from going completely under the top and out on the ground. it really doesn't make sense to me but ive seen and hard odd things happen. I had an old climber and connected the 2 and sat down in the seat with my feet not touching the platform and it fell on its own. how this happened was beyond me. he doesn't use the climber much.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
I'm curious why his platform slipped. I have never had a summit slip. Unless he was climbing a tree with ice in it. Smooth bark trees my summit never had issues.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm curious why his platform slipped. I have never had a summit slip. Unless he was climbing a tree with ice in it. Smooth bark trees my summit never had issues.
I'm not sure what the tree is but there are a few I have had a hard time digging in. real slick, smooth bark that seems real hard. I know in the past he would have to make adjustments because either too steep up or down when he climbs and would have to come down and adjust the cables. he also tends to pick huge trees so probably only had the edge teeth on the bark.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Glad to hear they worked either way, love mine!

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
I'm not sure what the tree is but there are a few I have had a hard time digging in. real slick, smooth bark that seems real hard. I know in the past he would have to make adjustments because either too steep up or down when he climbs and would have to come down and adjust the cables. he also tends to pick huge trees so probably only had the edge teeth on the bark.
NY has a lot of maple trees. Smooth bark and hard. They are awesome for climbing because they are quiet when climbing and my summit bite good into it. But if it was a huge tree and smooth barked it could be the exact reason. You might want to warn him what happens when you climb to large it puts stress in places the stand is not designed to have stress and will cause the stand to bend. There is a thread on here where guys teeth have bent upward. Glad he is safe though. Maybe he will start strapping in when He leaves the ground. The third hand products are awesome. Get a bowholder if you don't already have one.

·
Vendor
25,428 Posts
Hank: I'm glad to hear your friend is O.K. There is way more information needed to make an educated guess as to why the platform fell. The reason the platform fell that far was simply too much slack while climbing. Show him the correct length by allowing him to climb at a normal gate and have about 4" to 6" of slack for the upper stand tipping maneuverability. Sounds like he may need a little backyard practice.
Might want to check the stitching and buckles. The straps should probably be replaced depending how much pressure was really on them. Please encourage him to wear a harness too.
Might be in need of some new underwear too!:wink:

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be over there next weekend to hunt with him again and will check them. I don't have a lot of slack in mine so when I found out he probably sat on the ground I said I just got busted by a doe so come over here and ill show you how to use these things. when I'm on a tree that is smooth bark I push my right leg then left leg down to make sure I have a good bite. I seen him in a tree one time that maybe 1 tooth on each side was touching and the platform was at a real bad angle. I showed him the tree I was in last night and how I don't sit in it unless 3 teeth are in it and the angle. when I was at the base of the tree I put the bottom all the way down and it was steep angled up but level at the top. I'm still sitting hear trying to figure out how the platform fell. but as I said It happened to me with my old climber.

I'm glad hes okay and wanted to put it out there that these straps work! Sometimes not in the intended way. lol. I've knocked my top off the tree before and had it hit the bottom and just about peed myself. now I don't have to worry about that. they also help me getting in the stand. I put the bottom at a steep angle at the base, lift the top as high as I can reach and grab the rail and step onto the edge of the platform or onto it. I then take the top and lower it over me. I leave a few extra inches as thirdhandman said so the platform wont fall that far if I accidently knock it off. when I go to sit down I was always shaky for fear of knocking the top off so I cinch them down before I sit and I have full confidence sitting down and standing up and not having to worry about the top knocking loose.

·
Regohio
17,969 Posts
Jim you are right as usual…too much slack and you have nothing to lock it in place …pretty soon…you push too far…too fast and an accident happens!

Even though I know better I still find myself wanting to hunt out of my climber without hooking harness to tree…But I think of stories like this and clip in!

OP thanks for a story with happy ending!

·
Vendor
25,428 Posts
Reg: Did you ever see what happens while sitting on the rail without a harness attached and the cable breaks? Happened to me a few years ago. Luckily the platform was only 3 foot off the ground. Landed on the shoulders and the back of my head. Need to replace the cables every 5-7 years and wear a harness. I did neither and paid a cheap price. I got off lucky.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Those straps are made to be kept taught to prevent that platform from falling. Glad your buddy is safe.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts