Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I have been sitting on this idea for a year or so now trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Why do we not put our 2 piece quivers on the left side of our bows ( for right handed shooters)? Especially since most of the time our bows are weighted to the right anyways this off sets it a little bit making the bow more stable. It would also help with stalking with your arrows on the left side of your bow you can walk through the woods with the bow in your hand and release on the string. This just makes sence to me. Why have I not seen this before? Or am I so cinvinced that this is a good idea that I can not see the obvious problems with it. Some one shed some light.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
try loading your arrow quickly and without cutting your string.

·
Registered
426 Posts
try loading your arrow quickly and without cutting your string.
Also it drastically reduces your sight picture. I shoot with no sight and cant the bow to the side so the quiver on the left would not work for me.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
I use a few different types of quivers, but none of them are on my bow. I've found that, for me, a bow mounted quiver just about gaurantees torqueing the handle to some extent. In a South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado wind? Forget it!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so still not good reason not to do this, sorry guys who might cut your string. I load from the front to back, not an issue, my sight picture is the peep sight and whatever is inside of it. I think I am going to experiment with this, I have an extra set of stings in case the worst happens. I'll have to post my findings. I am just interested to know.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Go for it! I think it would work fine and I'm kind of suprized no one has ever tried to market it. It seems like it would balance out the bow better than having it on the off side. I think you could get used to loading an arrow from that side pretty quickly, too. Let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
SO I have been sitting on this idea for a year or so now trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Why do we not put our 2 piece quivers on the left side of our bows ( for right handed shooters)? Especially since most of the time our bows are weighted to the right anyways this off sets it a little bit making the bow more stable. It would also help with stalking with your arrows on the left side of your bow you can walk through the woods with the bow in your hand and release on the string. This just makes sence to me. Why have I not seen this before? Or am I so cinvinced that this is a good idea that I can not see the obvious problems with it. Some one shed some light.
That is why I mounted a Tight Spot quiver on my bow! No problems with torque!!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why you would do this. With no quiver on my bow, the bow holds perfectly vertical with no torque. If I put the quiver on the left side, now the bow is going to torque to the left, and I haven't "solved" anything. :dontknow:

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think the arrows would want to hit my hand or wrist if they were on that side, and if they were far enough away from the bow to not be a bother then it would throw of balance.

I am with the others.....my quiver is lashed to my pack if I am going to shoot....I just don't shoot well with it on, which is why its detachable.

To each their own though.....if you like it go for it! Hope it works for you!

·
<--- Finally!!
2,512 Posts
hand rotation

If you carry your bow by the grip (hanging down), then rotate it up to shoot, you would have to let go of it and run your hand behind the quiver to grip the bow again. That's the biggest drawback I see. Pretty convoluted.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If you get anywhere with this send pics, or even better a vid of you shooting
Its seems to me as others have pointed out that there would be hand interference and forget trying to take a second shot-TURN BOW PULL ARROW OUT, NEGOTIATE AROUND RISER BETWEEN RISER AND ARROWS WITHOUT MAKING ANY CONTACT/NOISE LOAD AND SHOOT- if needed with minimal movement; I love my back quiver!

Sorry don't want to be negative but in my minds eye its just not making a whole lot of sense:confused2:

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
I would and do just take it off.

·
Registered
173 Posts
quiver

I met a man out antelope hunting. He was using a longbow with quiver mounted over the sight window side. Said he did it that way for when he was laying flat on the ground and shooting. If you can do it, more power to ya!

·
Embrace the suck!
7,673 Posts
Good luck with that.

This thread reminds me of when I worked in a pro shop. Sometimes people would bring their equipment in with the accessories mounted in some odd positions. My top 3 favorites were:

3. Split limbsavers with the rubber pointing outward.

2. 1 piece quivers mounted upside down.

1. Whisker biscuits mounted so the biscuit is on the front!

How hard is it to look at a picture?!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I do it. Honestly. My quiver is mounted on the left side of my Mathews Ovation and I shoot right handed.

Reason(s): I spot and stalk and this allows me to carry my bow in my left hand so all I have to do is pull, aim & shoot. Quick, clean and easy.

When I'm treestand hunting, my bow lays flat on my lap and isn't tilted and wobbly from laying on the arrows. I've gone to carbon over the paranoia of putting slight bends in aluminum like this. Yes, I can take the quiver off, but then it's just one more thing to hang on the tree some dang place. I swear, my hunting buddy's tree looks like an overfilled closet suspended in mid-air by the time he has all his stuff hung around him.

I only take a couple of arrows when I hunt. The second or third shot will be loaded through an empty sight window.

When hiking and out of my hunting area, my bow is slung on the left side just like it is when I'm hunting. Opportunities pop up at the darndest times!

Shadow Man

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
This thread reminds me of when I worked in a pro shop. Sometimes people would bring their equipment in with the accessories mounted in some odd positions. My top 3 favorites were:

3. Split limbsavers with the rubber pointing outward.

1. Whisker biscuits mounted so the biscuit is on the front!

How hard is it to look at a picture?!
3. No problem operationally with that at all, work the same on the outside as well as inside. Helps if you like to carry your bow over your shoulder and don't want to break off the limbsaver.

2. I've done that before on bows just to make it easier to hike with the bow over my shoulder when there wasn't room inside the limb/riser/string/quiver hood to fit my shoulder, but there was on the bottom.

1. When using a five inch vane fletch, some bows don't have enough room to sit in the biscuit while nocked on the string without the fletchings buggering up the biscuit.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,332 Posts
Sometimes people would bring their equipment in with the accessories mounted in some odd positions. My top 3 favorites were:

Doesn't everybody mount their quivers upside down? If it's right side up, you'll get water in the hood when it rains.:wink:

·
Embrace the suck!
7,673 Posts
3. No problem operationally with that at all, work the same on the outside as well as inside. Helps if you like to carry your bow over your shoulder and don't want to break off the limbsaver.

2. I've done that before on bows just to make it easier to hike with the bow over my shoulder when there wasn't room inside the limb/riser/string/quiver hood to fit my shoulder, but there was on the bottom.

1. When using a five inch vane fletch, some bows don't have enough room to sit in the biscuit while nocked on the string without the fletchings buggering up the biscuit.
So you're one of those guys ehh? But seriously, in the aforementioned instances it was obvious those guys were not mounting their accessories like that on purpose. There was no intelligent thought behind it. They were just novices that didn't have a clue. I didn't laugh or make anyone feel bad about it. I just flipped the accessories around for them and went about the business of helping them out. Hey, at least they were getting into archery and not playing video games or smoking crack. One of my other favorites was when people tried using a shoot through rest with arrows fletched for shooting fingers. Can you say vane contact?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts