Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed a new set of Winners Choice cables and string… Put them on got my Ultra Tec to factory specs… Bottomed the limbs out to adjust the tiller and start tuning the cams… Drew the bow to see where the cams were and started to let down and then CRACK! Friggin let it get away from me… Dry fired the dang bow… After I changed my underwear and got all bandaged up from the wicked rip in my forearm, I started looking at the bow… Limbs were good, but the new string was wrapped around the draw stop on the bottom cam… It cam off the cam… Pressed the bow and removed the string and cables checked the axles on a mirror. Axles are fine. When the string came off the cam it cut the serving on the bottom cam… I salvaged all of the serving I could save. And it left me with about a 1-inch piece of serving that I had to reserve. No strands were cut… I reserved the string… My question is do you think I need to replace the string and cables now that I have dry fired the bow? I can’t believe this, first shot on a new set of cables and string and I blew the bow up…

·
Registered
391 Posts
If any bow can take a dry fire it is a Hoyt. If there are no strands broken I would probably shoot it. If there was any doubt in your mind about the string and harnesses being pre stretched you just eliminated that :) But in all seriousness I would keep a close eye on the serving. And if it starts to show excessive wear I would reserve the that portion of the string. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
692 Posts
Same advice as others, if you can re-serve it, fine. But keep an eye on it.
Now I'll pass along a little advice I got about 35 years ago:
Never draw your bow unless you have an arrow nocked. It's better to lose or ruin a $6.00 arrow than an $80.00 set of strings and cables.
I nock an arrow even when installing a new peep and checking alilgnment, you can never tell........

Rick

·
Registered
46 Posts
I feel yo pain Capt. Last week I paid $70 for new string and buss cable. Got home and was reserving the peep, etc. and as I was burning the end of the serving thread....you guessed it...I burned the string. I hate it when that happens. I couldn't believe my eyes. I'll try not to do that again...And I'll bet you won't either.

308XP

·
Registered
816 Posts
Set your mind at ease

While I attended dealer school at PSE(95) they were testing a bow (Hoyt) for durability. They dry fired it about 800 times before they had a limb failure, but they did go thru about 2 dz strings and cables before it failed.

I'm sure once is ok, but try not to do it again. bet the arm smarts huh?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Burn the tag end of your serving thread with the tag end above the string and use the bottom part of the match flame. Been there, don that.

RT

·
Registered
945 Posts
Put on new cable and strings and decided to try a little longer draw length so I went to move the peep without pressing it and cut the two strands on the string.
Don't you hate it when you do something you know you should not do. :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.